Notices

I HATE my DRW truck...

Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 328 Likes on 183 Posts

Thanks, it was driving me crazy, lol

I too check all my tire temp with infared guage. Don't do the brakes but think I will start. I don't have a dually so is easier.

Padraig
Old 05-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
...2 times a year:
When I go to check tire pressures. Getting to those inside rear tires is a BIOTCH. Last night was one of those 2X/year.

I do check my tires nearly every time I drive the truck though. I use the laser pyrometer (laser temp gun) to make sure tire temperatures are uniform at every stop; especially when towing. It works fantastic for such.

High temp = something is wrong. It's probably one of the best tools that I own. EVERY ONE of us should have one.
You're telling me... scrolling through the menu's to the TPMS screen is a PITA. j/k -- checking temperature of bearings is a great practice. While I don't do it with a temp gun every time we stop I always feel hubs with the back of my hand. It's definitely the difference between repacking a bearing vs. having a tire and wheel pass you or a hub welded to a bearing.... ask me how I know lol.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm too old to use rubbers anymore.

Tires:
Completely varies based on temperature, sun/cloudy/night, and precipitation.

I look for uniformity.

The side with sun on it will be 10-15 degrees warmer.
Compare sun side with shade side on trailer and truck to make sure temp differential is similar. (both sides ought to be the same at night)

I usually hit with the laser:

Truck:
All the tires on the sidewall (sometimes check the tread too, which will be warmer by about 5 degrees
Brake rotors and calipers (shoot through open spots on wheel)
Rear axle housing. (I have a transmission temperature gauge in the truck.)

Trailer:
All the tires on the sidewall (sometimes check the tread too, which will be warmer by about 5 degrees or so)
Brake rotors and calipers (shoot through open spots on wheel)
Hubs
Wheels (at the base of the center cap) (heat radiates; a hot tire will make the wheel warmer than the others and a hot hub will do the same)

This takes all of 2-3 minutes to do; nice way to pass the time when pumping fuel and you get to do a full visual walkaround the rig as well as check all the straps.
Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this, and I agree, if someone tows long distances it's a must for the glove box. I have a friend who tows a travel trailer that once busted my balls about it who now owns one after having an axle problem in Rocky Mountains. Last summer had some tread separation and sure enough before it actually happened the temp on that tire was running warmer.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I check my DRW tire pressures with one of these...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523180[/ATTACH]

My inner stems are pointing inward, and the back side of the inflater nozzle fits it perfectly - I just pull against the valve instead of pushing. ...not sure that makes sense, but its actually easier on my hands than the out tire.

...2 times a year:
When I go to check tire pressures. Getting to those inside rear tires is a BIOTCH. Last night was one of those 2X/year.
Attached Thumbnails I HATE my DRW truck...-827942.jpg  
Old 05-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
I check my DRW tire pressures with one of these...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523180[/ATTACH]

My inner stems are pointing inward, and the back side of the inflater nozzle fits it perfectly - I just pull against the valve instead of pushing. ...not sure that makes sense, but its actually easier on my hands than the out tire.
I have virtually the same tool, and that's what I used.
However, its still a PITA to get the valve stem caps off.
My inner stems point outward.
My outer stems point inward.

I like the concept of the longer valve stems, but too much liability for something to go wrong in my eyes.

I'd rather just complain about it.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DRW: dual rear wheel
SRW: single rear wheel
Single rear wheel......the way I see it, it doesn't seem stable during turns and I've never seen that configuration. My truck has dual wheels in the back. I've seen those other trucks with dual-dual wheels though.......pretty sweet, but I heard they aren't as good because they have less pounds per square inch touching the road.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I was thinking the same thing........

Fuel Truck/boat- 15 minutes (verify proper octane)
Truck/trailer check- 2-3 minutes
Tire Pressure- 14 tires (6 truck/6 trailer/2 spares)- 10 minutes
Re-torque all lug nuts truck/trailer
Check lights on truck/trailer- 10 minutes
Fluids Check Truck/Boat- 15 minutes
Back in the house to shower/get ready to leave- 20 minutes
Repack cooler- ice has started to melt-
Recheck Coupler on trailer, verify straps/chains
Put Wide Load Flag on trailer, set launch cones around perimeter of truck to let everyone know you are getting ready to leave
Start Truck and let it idle/warm up
Recheck oil/tranny fluid after warm up
Triple tap horn- first to test it and double tap follow up to alert others that you are leaving
Tide has since gone out, can't launch anyway.
Now 6 hour wait until tide returns
Recheck the above and read "Safe Towing for Dummies" guide book
Whew, getting dark now, skip getting the boat wet and put it back in the toy barn!
Goddam.. I swear I had day like that about 2 years ago....

By the time I got to the ramp it was Like- sheeeit I only got 2 hours before dark...
Old 05-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have virtually the same tool, and that's what I used.
However, its still a PITA to get the valve stem caps off.
My inner stems point outward.
My outer stems point inward.

I like the concept of the longer valve stems, but too much liability for something to go wrong in my eyes.
Lb

I'd rather just complain about it.

Hey there Sydwaz...I use "Slime" chrome metal valve extenders on all my DRW trucks...they screw right on and makes life a little easier...get them from AutoZone or any place that carries Slime tire products..hope this .helps???....
Old 05-11-2014, 05:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...5-wheels/18472
Agreed. Have a Ford, took the mounting brackets and cut them, modified, cut 2 slots, one on each side of the rear caps and epoxied them to the inside of the cap with just the mounting for the stainless steel mounting sticking through. Clean, no more problem, check your air easily.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Sydwayz, thanks for the tip about the laser gun. I towed the 242 from Detroit up to Chrlevoix this wekend and check the trailer tires and bearings t every stop with it. Using it is a lot safer that touching the tire or hub. I also looked for consistent temps between the front and back wheels and hubs on each side. It seemed like the sunny side was 10-15 degrees hotter than the shady side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.