Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2015 Chevy 3500 srw or drw for towing 38 >

2015 Chevy 3500 srw or drw for towing 38

Notices

2015 Chevy 3500 srw or drw for towing 38

Old 06-04-2014, 07:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't speak on the control difference in dual DRW vers SRW.
I do know that you wear rear tires really fast on a SRW diesel truck towing, I realized this having gas and diesel 2500HD trucks.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 644 Likes on 303 Posts

Towed my 38 Gun for 4 yrs with a SRW 3500 Crew Chevy classic. Never any problems.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cig92
I believe he was asking what he needs? as far as needing a drw truck, the answer is no. you will be just fine with a srw twd truck to get the job done. if money isn't an object them by all means go buy a 15 denali drw and leave it hooked to the truck and only use it to tow. BUT, if that isn't the case, then buy what fits your daily driving habits. twd, drw, srw, diesel or gas, they will all get the job done without a problem safely. go buy whatever excites you

Im certainly not going to get in a heated discussion over this,,,,,,,, but A 1500 will get it down the road in a straight line on a nice dry sunny day,,,,,,, make a evasive lane change,,,,, or even have a sharper curve then expected sneak up on you and you have to tug on the wheel just a bit harder then you wanted..

Will a SRW tow it ..... absolutely,,,,, is a DRW safer ,,,, but leaps and bounds,,,,,, its your family in the truck,,,,, tow with what you want
Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 338 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Last thing, for the life of me I don't understand why bigger boat trailers are tag, that has to be the worst way to tow. Ever notice horse trailers and bigger campers are always 5th wheel.
Tag trailers are user friendly. Even the bigger boats are not very heavy in the overall scope of things. It takes a long deep boat to weigh more than 16K, (most cats are well under that weight as are the more common performance boats because they use more weight saving products to make the boat) With the triple axle the weight is well distributed and pulls fairly well. The only problem is generally tung weight but that can be combated with airbags.

That said: The next better option would be the Gooseneck over a 5th wheel.

Goose necks allow more room of travel between the bed of the truck and the hitch. It also allows substantial more maneuverability in the angles that you can operate the truck ie: angle changes in topography, turning radius, etc.

The hitch located in the bed on a Gooseneck is lower to the center gravity of the truck instead of the trailer. The ball is mounted in the bottom of the bed of the truck, attached through a large mounting pin which is located below the bed generally even with the frame.

A 5th wheel is mounted to the bed, and sits anywhere from 12-18" above the bed floor where it attaches to the trailer. Also there is in most cases only a front to back pivot to the hitch. There are new hitches available that do allow some side to side travel, but it is minimal and they are not very common and cost substantially more. Look at the top of a bed rail that pulls a 5th wheel camper, I would bet that MOST have scratches or small dents where the camper has hit the bed while turning or maneuvering into a spot that is not level.

Bottom line, a Goose neck will pull and operate much more user friendly on highway and angled terrain applications over a 5th wheel set up. But for ease and overall availability the standard hitch is still the preferred for most applications.

Last edited by bajaholic; 06-04-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

Sorry I meant goose neck or 5th wheel.

I have a goose in my truck and have used it, nice. One thing everyone forgets, it's not the tung weight that gets you in a problem it's the leverage the tag trailer has in moving the back of the truck around in a evasive maneuver.

The goose or 5th is much more stable then.

But back to the OP's question. These are just things to think of, you are going to have decide yourself.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

Btw

The op is talking a 38 formula, what does that wiegh on a steel tag trailer?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Btw

The op is talking a 38 formula, what does that wiegh on a steel tag trailer?
I am guessing about 12K. When I had my 40 Baja w/triples, steel trailer it was generally around 13K w/fuel
Old 06-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
I am guessing about 12K. When I had my 40 Baja w/triples, steel trailer it was generally around 13K w/fuel
Other posts by the OP indicate his 353 on Steel trailer is 13,900 lbs.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...-2500hd-2.html

The 382 is approximately 1000 lbs heavier, plus another 500 lbs. of trailer assuming more structure and beefier components. Now it's up to 15,400 lbs. give or take.
I find that most people GROSSLY underestimate their total load unless you run it across a scale. (I know I did; until I did.)

DRW vs. SRW has been hashed out so many times on this site, it's ridiculous. There are so many more aspects than just the total of the load though. Remember, boats have a LOT of weight at the ass end of the setup; much different than RV trailers, and other cargo trailers where they are usually evenly balanced, or you can adjust weight distribution; respectively. AND both of those often have WD hitches with sway control; whereas boat trailers rarely have this.

For this reason, DRW will get my vote, this time and always.

YOU CAN'T HAVE TOO MUCH TRUCK. I'd rather have it and not need it; than need it and not have it.

As for tag vs. gooseneck; I'll take tag all day, everyday. I like having the bed of my truck (secure with a cover on it) for beer, tools, gear, etc.

Now, can we debate 2WD vs .4x4 for a boat tow vehicle again too, please?

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-04-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 301 Likes on 105 Posts

Funny how its OK to not gain the extra safety a gooseneck and fifth wheel trailer provides for a convince of an empty bed but not OK to gain the convince of a SRW (especially when upgrading wheels and tires designed to handle more load, better sidewall control, etc.)

FACT is a gooseneck or fifth wheel is on so much of a higher saftey level then ANY DRW truck hooked to a JUNK TAG trailer. I can not stress this enough. NIGHT and DAY better.

I know sydwayz has a great trailer and overall setup.....

But I'm willing to bet that half these DRW lovers on here are pulling sub par trailers......

AGAIN....the trailer is more important then the truck....if the trailer is not Safe the training wheels are not going to help.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 06-04-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered

No disagreement by me... I pull trailers all the time. The question was why is it more popular, not which is better. I think I stated the Goose Neck is better, no question!

It amazes me, how little people put into their trailers when the boat costs hundreds of thousands.... I showed up for a VERY well known cat a few years ago, the trailer had no brakes, no lights, was held together w/straps etc and the owner was upset with me I didn't want to run it half way across the country without fixing everything...

DRW is the prefered truck for me, the bigger the better but like you stated, a Good Trailer is the best thing to have. Now lets discuss surge breaks vs electric...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.