Notices

Boat Trailers are a PITA!

Old 07-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate my aluminum trailer it pos it rattles the fenders are flimsy and its one of those that's the correct size for the boat per the trailer manufacturer but the trailer stops short of the transom and the bunks stick out. I hate that to me that's hard on everything and looks liks total crap. as far as problems so far this summer I haven't had any but im bout to tear into the trailer in prep for a road trip and no telling what I might find.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
I sure hope you're right.
Buyers on both coasts will show more interest in a freshwater boat on an aluminum trailer vs. a steel trailer; not to mention anywhere in between. The last thing your budget minded boater wants to buy is a new (aluminum) trailer when buying the next boat they are trying to afford.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh700xx
I hate my aluminum trailer it pos it rattles the fenders are flimsy and its one of those that's the correct size for the boat per the trailer manufacturer but the trailer stops short of the transom and the bunks stick out. I hate that to me that's hard on everything and looks liks total crap. as far as problems so far this summer I haven't had any but im bout to tear into the trailer in prep for a road trip and no telling what I might find.
That's a skimped bolt together aluminum I-beam trailer. They are not all like that. You can have a nice bolt together aluminum I-beam trailer, or a cheap one that barely cuts the mustard. I'd venture to say, yours probably does not look like this, even though "categorically" they are the same.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]526656[/ATTACH]

I had a POS Rocket aluminum bolt together trailer under my last boat. I rebuilt almost every component on that trailer, and it was still marginal. I should have just bought another properly setup trailer.

My current boat came with an aluminum bolt-together trailer from McClain. While my welded aluminum Myco is far and away better, the properly scoped McClain was a nice package for the money. And BTW, the Myco is not without it's problems too. I've had to have cracked welds fixed, and will need to do the same again soon.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Trailers are a PITA!-faluminum_boat_trailers_parts_service__x0_53c8b5d66be87.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 01:42 PM
dcb
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered a new trailer for my Cig from Manning last week - priced a Myco it was 6k more with 6 lug wheels and c - channel versus the tube steel and 8 lug wheels on the Manning. Every trailer has issues at some point - maintenance can help catch them early, but consider the abuse they take.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I look at my trailer as an opportunity to learn wiring...because every time I trailer I'm fixing some wiring. I have learned a lot and I think I almost have her sorted out!
Old 07-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I don't think you need a new trailer, but I'm not standing there looking at it either.

Have the boat lifted off in the fall, and do a check on everything. Replace the bunks and carpet if needed. Check torque on everything. Put thread locker where it needs to be, and never-seize on the lug nuts.

IF you decide you need a new trailer, I'd call Manning (in Michigan) given where you are located, and have them build you a welded ALUMINUM trailer. It will triple your resale market come time to move up.

LOTS of people skimp on trailers. (I'm not accusing anyone of such here.) But dealers didn't often spec a top quality trailer when they used to stock/floorplan boats. And people that are buying used boats are often at the top of their price bracket, and the focus on the boat, and the trailer is a "companion" or "tool".
A trailer is NOT a tool. It's a COMPLIMENT to the boat, and needs to be of same & strong caliber. It's a VEHICLE and it has life threatening consequences when something goes south.
If that caliper came out of that wheel at speed and went through someone's windshield: bad.
If that wheel/tire locked up and put you into the next lane all of a sudden: bad.
If you couldn't stop in a panic, not realizing you didn't have brakes: bad.
I did send Manning an email to start the process of getting a quote. I believe Expensive Date had one built for his 292 and liked it a lot.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:01 AM
Registered

It's a Peterson it seems like it was a nice trailer at one point just not my style trailer.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 394 Likes on 142 Posts

My current boat came with an aluminum bolt-together trailer from McClain. While my welded aluminum Myco is far and away better, the properly scoped McClain was a nice package for the money. And BTW, the Myco is not without it's problems too. I've had to have cracked welds fixed, and will need to do the same again soon.[/QUOTE]

I know of more than a few Myco Alum. trailers that have cracked, which is crazy for the $$ you pay for them.... I like my Myco C-channel Steel trailer, just have to stay after it in saltwater use. My Performance Alum. trailer that is under the Talon is a great bolt together trailer, and since we have (2) lifts our trailers only get used a couple times a years anyway...
Attached Thumbnails Boat Trailers are a PITA!-20130715_154050.jpg   Boat Trailers are a PITA!-talon.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dcb
Ordered a new trailer for my Cig from Manning last week - priced a Myco it was 6k more with 6 lug wheels and c - channel versus the tube steel and 8 lug wheels on the Manning. Every trailer has issues at some point - maintenance can help catch them early, but consider the abuse they take.
Bought a Manning for my 31 Sonic last year. Build was on time and as promised. Loading and trailering are excellent.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 08 fastech 292
I did send Manning an email to start the process of getting a quote. I believe Expensive Date had one built for his 292 and liked it a lot.
They build a great trailer that tows on long hauls wonderfully and the boat so far has loaded perfectly each time. The trailer is a tank, hands down. Think about getting 16" wheels, they make a huge difference.

~~But~~

DO NOT GET IT PAINTED!

And make sure the center caps drain! I have 4 aluminum wheels that are all corroded after just 2 saltwater and only 2 freshwater dunks on a trailer that's only a couple months old. And yes! I washed the boat and trailer with soap and water after the salt runs.

I emailed them and they said they drill holes so the center caps so the water can drain, our caps have no holes. They said I should drill them myself or remove them and I need to call the wheel supplier. I already know how this is going to end, everyone else pointing fingers over their shoulder with the customer paying in the end.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Trailers are a PITA!-img_2048.jpg   Boat Trailers are a PITA!-img_2049.jpg   Boat Trailers are a PITA!-img_2052.jpg  

Last edited by TW720HVY; 07-26-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.