Notices

Max tranny temp for GM 6L80?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
I would be looking at upgrading the trans cooler, IMO.

Something like this wouldnt be hard to install yourself.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-679
Yes I have thought of that. How ever i wonder if it would stay to cold in the winter months? 30 degrees out side the tranny temp only sees 120. 0 and sub zero the temp is maybe 110.

Originally Posted by I.D.C.E.
I have never seen over 180 ish while towing with my Sierra Denali.

Upshifting and downshifting causes heat. Are you towing with cruise control?

Transmissions do not last long over 210-220.

When does it get this hot?
She gets hot/warmer wile accelerating (naturally). Cruise control, yes wile on flat land. Hilly land, I take over.
70-75 degrees outside temp the tranny will rock about 185-200 depending on the starts n stops. Once the outside temp gets to 80-85 plus she will sit right about 200-210. Then I come up to a couple stop lights and that is when she will climb to 220-225

Normal driving not towing in the summer the tranny will run 165-175 ish, if im remembering correctly.

Originally Posted by Rookie
I'm pretty sure my Cadillac states Mobil 1 on the cap from the OEM. I Didn't know it was the cheapest oil on the market...
Depends on the Caddy My CTS-V , yes says mobil 1 right on the cap. But then again it is LS engine. On my Esky, it says nothingjust 5w30. My old STS, same says nothing.

Another question would also arise... .Where to mount it on the esky? It already has the so called "heavy duty towing package". Looking threw the grill there is small cooler in the center that i believe is for the tranny. It might as EZ as upgrading that one. One interesting thing i also noticed on the Esky is that there is a Power steering fluid cooler mounted on the far left side.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad./trans cooler but behind the grille in the winter months if you're worried about too cold.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I like tranny coolers, I don`t like over 220*. On my Excursion I put a cooler with a thermostatically operated fan. Din`t feel like it ever got too cold in the winter, still goes thru the radiator.

We`ll see if the New Dodge needs it ..

Old 01-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In for updates on this one...
My '14 runs 190*, but I was told by the folks at the dealer that the cooler has a thermostat and is supposed to reach that temperature. Color me skeptical, as it hasn't been over 40* since I purchased the truck, and I haven't hooked the boat up yet.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Registered

Im not sure if my truck has the thermostat, I dont think so since in the winter months with no load she runs way cooler then in the summer. My tranny temp last night when i came home form work was 127 degrees, air temp showed 40 degrees outside.

After looking at diagrams and the truck in more detail last night.
Here is how mine runs.

Out of tranny to radiator
Out of radiator to the right side of the oil cooler located in front of the radiator, center (part of the heavy duty towing pkg).
Then out on the Left side of the cooler that leads back to the tranny.

I also found a couple youtube videos (best one was on a 2011 chevy made by etrailer) where they added a second cooler for the tranny. Only suck part of that is the front clip has to be removed to make the install clean. But it is something I will be looking into.

Also my stock oil cooler was a lot larger then i thought it would be. Looked to be about 10" X 10".
Old 01-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your not soppose to tow in od on that trans but i still do it...try taking it out of overdrive when hot..it speeds up the fluid flow and cools faster.. try it abd you will see..also the biggrr trans lines help big time.they flow more fluid.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 981 Likes on 497 Posts

My '10 avalanche has never run hotter then 190*....the 6l80E didn't start going into trucks till about '07 and only the Escalades and Yukons got them...the pickups got them around '09....either way you have a tow/haul button on the shifter...use it and it will be happy

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
Your not soppose to tow in od on that trans but i still do it...try taking it out of overdrive when hot..it speeds up the fluid flow and cools faster.. try it abd you will see..also the biggrr trans lines help big time.they flow more fluid.
Pulling my boat the truck never gets in OD. too much weight to make it into 6th gear. Normally she always stays in 4th. Every once in a wile she might shift into 5th if the land is flat. Yes the tow/haul is always on.

Originally Posted by Wally
My '10 avalanche has never run hotter then 190*....the 6l80E didn't start going into trucks till about '07 and only the Escalades and Yukons got them...the pickups got them around '09....either way you have a tow/haul button on the shifter...use it and it will be happy
Correct I have the first year for the tranny. 2007 Escalade EXT I always use the tow/haul when pulling the boat. As I sit Im at max capacity with tow rating. Both the truck & boat full of fuel, and just me she weighed in at 13,710 LBS according to the CAT scale. Now add in a cooler full of beer n' ice and a couple people Im sure im right at 14,000.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

4th and 5th .. hmm if that torque converter isn`t locked up she`ll be creating some heat for sure.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My 4L80E is usually at 180* towing down the freeway with the a/c on and 90* summer air temps. I have 1 cooler in the radiator, and one external cooler with the Fan like icdedppl's. Fan isnt needed on mine, never gets hot enough, but still nice option.

I've also heard the Dexron VI is the chit. I plan on doing a flush this spring and switching to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.