Notices

Gas 6.0l vs 5.9 cummins MPG

Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I towed my 38 Fountain 13-14k lbs with trailer , on two long trips last summer. First trip was loto , close to 1000 miles round trip. That trip I used my old school 1997 dually with 454, and 4.10 rear. Hand calculated fuel mileage, was right at 8mpg for the trip. Flat ground or hills, didn't seem to matter. 8mpg was it. I had my speedo corrected for my tire size, and on GPS my speedo is about dead nuts , so that info I feel is accurate.

Next trip was to traverse city, about 700 miles round trip. For this, we used mg by buddies 2013 ram diesel srw. 3.42 rear, and according to his dash meter, averaged 12mpg for the trip.

Towing with the ram was nice. Mainly because it simply is an all around more modern and comfortable vehicle then my old Chevy. If I towed more often , I'd love to buy a newer diesel truck. Icdeppls Ram is sweet
Old 03-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
I figured two trips to florida a year, towing one way. Then a trip to LOTO, Chicago and Kentucky lake, per year.

Not a DD. This is much nicer.

An economic case will fail. I would guess 7-8 for the suburban and 12-14 for the dodge, speed dependent as mentioned. Higher fuel and maintenance, plus a diesel learning curve will be off setting or still a loser by small margin.

Your DD is very nice but also fails the economic test.
Since you do not specify the type of boat but include "radar arch" one has to assume something along the performance cruiser (Formula) or similar lines.
Higher center of gravity will be as big of a factor as weight itself.
The same reason you choose the Jag is why a truck (in options presented, a diesel dually) makes more sense. For long tows, the comfort and stability of long wheel base, stiffer springs and dually will leave you in better mental and physical shape to enjoy the event and return to work.
If you want to keep the covered/secure storage of the suburban, add a tonneau or cab high hard top. Cab height will have twice the usable storage space as the suburban with a similar look.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually under $2 in a lot of places..

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
$209 for gas? .. I love Texas!

In the suburbs we`re at 2.89 gas, $2.59 Diesel

Yesterday $hitcago was $3.34 gas $2.99 Diesel

It went up $.30 last week for no reason, crude still same price.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the numbers guys. I ran some numbers in a spreadsheet and the savings due to mileage won't pay for the diesel in any reasonable amount of time. But I also didn't factor resale (+for diesel) or maintenance (-for diesel).
Maybe not,.. But it sure is nice hearing the diesel always happy.
Gasser always working it's A** off, always sounding like its ready to blow.

Maybe just my preference, also like with the diesels all the remaining drive train
is typically built better also.

Good luck with your choice

Jon
Old 03-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

God I love internet truck MPG threads...
Old 03-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 824 Likes on 384 Posts

Not sure if it is of any help, but I did have a 6 speed dually - 7.3 Ford. I would get about 11 towing my Cafe - 14k lbs.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 600 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
From what I read on the interwebs another 2-3mpg when removing the emissions.. The exhaust couldn`t be more restricted on mine with emissions. The oil turns to tar color 5 minutes after an oil change thanx to the EGR . It`s a real winner

I`m still under warranty for another 2 years so it has to stay on.

I love the truck thou, so quiet, plenty of power, don`t have a single complaint except that I waited so long to buy one.
I don't like egr at all.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah yeah if all you guys were that concerned with fuel milage you would own SAILBOATS!!!!

I think i get about 9-10mpg towing between 6 and 7k with my Duramax. But of course that includes blowing by imports on the hills and just hammering down in general
Old 04-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 600 Likes on 359 Posts

I think I just smoked a head gasket south of Nashville. Damn my cheapness.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I think I just smoked a head gasket south of Nashville. Damn my cheapness.
With the gasser??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.