Notices

Drives up or Down when towing

Old 04-17-2015, 11:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
the fluid in the hydraulic Rams is incompressible. They don't care whether they are extended or retracted. Do you risk possible bending a ram because of a larger moment arm being extended? Probably but I'd venture the risk is very very low.

My opinion as others have stated is trailer with the drives level if you can. If there is not enough clearance travel with them up. Likely won't have an issue either way. Just don't leave them up.
"larger moment arm" ?
Not sure what you mean there.

I think the OP wants to know if towing with the drives being out puts a excess amount of force on the pivot points or even the transom.

My thoughts: it doesn't matter. 200 lbs. of gravity is nothing compared to the forces of actually running the boat, carrying the bow, and the stress of re-entries; hooking up.

I tow with mine up to keep them away from ground contact. I tow with the clips on, just incase one were to bleed down, it won't get close to the ground.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 797 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
"larger moment arm" ?
Not sure what you mean there.

I think the OP wants to know if towing with the drives being out puts a excess amount of force on the pivot points or even the transom.

My thoughts: it doesn't matter. 200 lbs. of gravity is nothing compared to the forces of actually running the boat, carrying the bow, and the stress of re-entries; hooking up.

I tow with mine up to keep them away from ground contact. I tow with the clips on, just incase one were to bleed down, it won't get close to the ground.
the forces on transom and steering pins is the same regardless of drive position.

the only reactive force that will change applies to the hydraulic rams. when drive is up, the amount of unsupported length increases thus increasing bending stress in ram. Simplified equation: stress = (F*L)/I. As mentioned probably a minuscule risk of bending. Highly unlikely.

The other reaction force occurs at the ram pivot point (transom assembly). The moment stress Increases due to the length increasing. Reason why people use breaker bars to loosen bolts.

A bit over complication but whatever!!!