Notices

Am I crazy, or is the dealer?

Old 01-25-2016, 12:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
GMC threw another "Service 4 Wheel Drive" code. +96K mi, getting nervous when I have to start paying for these repairs. Too much stuff on these new trucks.

I'll see what they say on Wed, this is the 3rd time dealing with sensors, etc. besides the other warranty claims it has had.....
That year is mostly 4x4 module related, as previous years it was the encoder or actuator on the trans case. Easy fix either way... don't get nervous.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 479 Likes on 219 Posts

I hear ya, it's something easy. It was in a couple months ago, they found a seeping seal on one of the axles, decided to replace the axle. Upon dissasembly of the front end, they must have snapped of a few fasteners. Had to send the whole unit out to get repaired. then when I got the truck back, "Service 4 Wheel Drive" error. Took it back and it was a sensor / actuator. Then it went off again 2 weeks ago, will not go into 4 wheel....
Old 03-16-2016, 10:20 AM
Registered

So, latest development, threw another "Low coolant Level" warning (second time this happened, first was a "dirty sensor" according to the dealer, so where did all the coolant go???)

Now replacing head gaskets at 99,970mi, just inside warranty, phew.

Anyone else have head gasket issues with Dmax LML?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

One of my customers has a 2014 2500HD with a Duramax. Same scenario, started mysteriously losing coolant, GM ended up putting head gaskets in it. Only had about 30-40K miles on it at the time. That was about a year ago and the truck has been fine ever since.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:42 AM
Registered

Yes, apparently it's an issue with these engines. I've read that a possible cylinder head bolt issues where they stretch and let coolant by. That, or a failed gasket. I hope the replacements are a new part.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what happened on my 05 LLY. Started losing coolant, and at peak torque the temp gauge would go nuts. (combustion gas in the cooling system). Bought it new, put 250k very trouble free miles on it. Took a bath on the trade though, with the puked head gasket.

Bought a 2013 2500 Denali HD....awesome truck. Loved it. Put about 34k miles on it, then just HAD to have the new interior....

So sold it to a buddy, and picked up a 2015 2500HD Denali last summer. It's kinda like the GMC cousin to Eddie's truck.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

[QUOTE

Anyone else have head gasket issues with Dmax LML?[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear the news.. But its not as common with the newer years. Head gaskets seem to be improved alot.

Unless it has had a previous low coolant condition at one time (steam overheat in the head)? or a power program for boost was added.?..

If no to those Questions just consider it a failed gasket . The Dealer will use the latest and greatest head gaskets and all new Head bolts.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:34 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, apparently it's an issue with these engines. I've read that a possible cylinder head bolt issues where they stretch and let coolant by. That, or a failed gasket. I hope the replacements are a new part.
I cant find where it is an issue after the 2006 engine upgrade to the LLY/LBZ. It happens occasionally at most. The 2005 LLY and earlier models had various cooling and head gasket issues.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Registered

This is a 2013, I bought it new and drive it everyday. It's not abused, and probably only towed the boat 4x with it. No power programmer, stock as can be.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

This is a 2013, I bought it new and drive it everyday. It's not abused, and probably only towed the boat 4x with it. No power programmer, stock as can be.
Good to hear Pal.. As I said its not that common anymore, so no worries.. You will get it all done with fresh coolant and be good to go!

Side note : Have them replace both thermostats (they may charge you just for parts) since the crossover will be off anyway.