Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
What tires you guys towing with i am looking at Michelin Defender M/S2 This is a 4x4. >

What tires you guys towing with i am looking at Michelin Defender M/S2 This is a 4x4.

Notices

What tires you guys towing with i am looking at Michelin Defender M/S2 This is a 4x4.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also had goodluck over the years with Coopers from 33s to 35s on my hunting/off-road truck. Never got more than 45000 miles out of them but most of them had pretty aggresive tread on them. Nittos had great off-road but highway was not so good. So my question to all of you is. Who has been running a 35" tire more suited for highway and towing? I am looking to put them on my "Pretty Truck" with 20" rims and tow the boat and other travel type trailers. This truck will never even see a dirt road. The issue that I have with using Coopers over the years is that when they get to tall and loaded down I start feeling the whole rig move around to much. I had the older Goodyears on there, But they don't make them anymore. So I am trying to make an informed decision here on my next set so if you have any thoughts I am listening. Remember Highway and Towing a 35 on a tri-axle.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,254 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by fordf350
I have also had goodluck over the years with Coopers from 33s to 35s on my hunting/off-road truck. Never got more than 45000 miles out of them but most of them had pretty aggresive tread on them. Nittos had great off-road but highway was not so good. So my question to all of you is. Who has been running a 35" tire more suited for highway and towing? I am looking to put them on my "Pretty Truck" with 20" rims and tow the boat and other travel type trailers. This truck will never even see a dirt road. The issue that I have with using Coopers over the years is that when they get to tall and loaded down I start feeling the whole rig move around to much. I had the older Goodyears on there, But they don't make them anymore. So I am trying to make an informed decision here on my next set so if you have any thoughts I am listening. Remember Highway and Towing a 35 on a tri-axle.
My insight: I have E-rated 33" Cooper ATs on 16" wheels. LOTS of sidewall. I do not have any complaints of how the truck moving around when towing a 37' footer.
I used my Ford F-350 DRW for long trips, and my (pictured) 2500HD SRW for short trips. I really am impressed with how well my 2500HD tows.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyo Open Country AT 295 65R/20 35" tall 11.5 wide.

The tread pattern is more aggressive than I wanted but it's the most "street" I could find in a tire this large, and it's growing on me. I hated the new BFG's. had a set of 275's put on my new truck and took them back two days later (tire guy is good friend). I don't like the look of the new BFG either and they have always been my favorite, go to AT.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550250[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails What tires you guys towing with i am looking at Michelin Defender M/S2 This is a 4x4.-image.jpg  
Old 01-30-2016, 02:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 174 Likes on 87 Posts

I have Firestone Destination A/T's on my SRW 06 Cummins 285/70/17. They worked great for me, towing and in snow. I got a little over 40k miles out of them and need to replace soon. Want to go bigger on my next set and am looking at the Nitto Terra Grappler 305/70/17. They have a higher load index than my Firestones and not too bad price wise.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 285 Likes on 101 Posts

Nitto Duragrapplers make a SRW tow like a DRW

Seriously though the E load range actually has a HIGHER weight rating of 3750lbs and 3950lbs vs the standard 3195lbs.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:35 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, I bought these
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-Freestar...RWVhho&vxp=mtr)

I bought 2, then 2 more, finally 2 more (all six tires replaced) NO problems. Kept breaking belts before. (Goodyear etc) The shop that mounts my tires said most all trailer tires
are made in China.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,254 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
For what it's worth, I bought these
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-Freestar...RWVhho&vxp=mtr)

I bought 2, then 2 more, finally 2 more (all six tires replaced) NO problems. Kept breaking belts before. (Goodyear etc) The shop that mounts my tires said most all trailer tires
are made in China.
FYI: This thread is about truck tires.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 511 Posts

This was my old dually (its a 99 i bought new then i lifted it in 01 then sold it in 03)
6" lift and 35" procomp X-terrains (these are load range E)
Towed my 30' 1986 scarab with no issues
I put a solid 40k miles on them (Tires) before selling the truck and they were still holding up awesome.
Attached Thumbnails What tires you guys towing with i am looking at Michelin Defender M/S2 This is a 4x4.-duallylifted.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!