Notices

Oil bath hubs on trailer

Old 04-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Oil bath hubs on trailer

Any comments on oil bath hubs instead of grease? I have a friend that swears by them. It sure looks like a better set up if you don't lose the oil. I like the ability of having a visual inspection. Seems most of my issues in the past are from bad seals letting water in and doing the damage. Its a pain in the a$$ checking them all before each trip. Are some brands better than others?
Old 04-25-2016, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea. But as you said, loose the oil and its going to be an issue quick. A few squirts from the grease gun and I know the bearings have at least some grease.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Registered

This article will give you some ideas of the pros and cons...

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/index...=553&typeID=91

Cheers,

Dave
Old 04-25-2016, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are oil bath but packed w grease. Go figure, i re did all the bearings and seals and added gear oil. I trailer a 42 everywhere and frequently. Prior to this myco i had posi lube axles w a zerk fitting on the end of the spindle which is drillled deep enough to shooot grease from rear bearing out towards the front bearing. All we did was pumped them before every trip and i mean every trip. Fill the void behind rubber plug w a couple squirts and u should have no troubles. Then there is no way water can displace the heavy grease. The only issue i had was rear seals rotted out from salt but thats it.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a awesome way to go. I was just thinking how much time it saves. I did mine on Saturday. Found 1 bad bearing set. And all my spring bushings were worn through. Just caught it in time. But changed all the bolts anyway. I wish I had oil bath hubs for sure. Maybe next year or next trailer. Next trailer will mean another boat
Old 04-25-2016, 06:21 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

We have seen alot of them - like anything else - sealing important - condensation can be a problem in high humid climates. The oil needs to be changed in some cases more than what people think - most require straight 50 weight oil.

Not hard to change the oil in the hubs but most of the times the wheel has to come off. A very tiny funnel neck is needed to fill them back up to the recommended full spec.

Last edited by BUP; 04-25-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:25 PM
BUP
Banned

these are the current set ups that alot of people are using. UFP products. I use to deal with them but they were bought out if I remember correctly

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/The-V...cation-System/
Old 04-25-2016, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
these are the current set ups that alot of people are using. UFP products. I use to deal with them but they were bought out if I remember correctly

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/The-V...cation-System/
UFP was purchased by Dexter Axle.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:33 PM
BUP
Banned

thats it could not remember - have not ordered anything off them this year yet. ^^^^^^^ Order a bunch load of there bearing bra's all time thou
Old 04-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Registered

I have a number of customers who have them. I personally prefer grease. I check out our bearings each time we tow. If I had oil bath, I would have to drain and refill each time. Oil bath are OK, but not a replacement for regular maintenance and inspection of bearings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.