Notices

Trailer Winch

Old 01-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Trailer Winch

I orderd 2 bow blocks from Myco and will be fabing up a new bow stop for the Mistress also changing out the old
original rusted trailer winch...........What would be a good replacement?...and what's better cable or strap?.....thnx
Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
I orderd 2 bow blocks from Myco and will be fabing up a new bow stop for the Mistress also changing out the old
original rusted trailer winch...........What would be a good replacement?...and what's better cable or strap?.....thnx
I've had both. Prefer strap. The strap will never cut your hand open.

The strap is easier to deal with and install, but it's a bigger pain the ass to get wound tight. The strap stretches as it tightens down on the spool for the first few uses. The cable doesn't really do that, but the cable can get bound over itself which is another PITA, and that's when you will cut your hand. Ask me how I know that.

Regardless, if you have a straight bottom boat, ensure you have a safety chain that you latch before you pull up the ramp. Both straps and cables can break.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

The strap is easier to deal with and install, but it's a bigger pain the ass to get wound tight. The strap stretches as it tightens down on the spool for the first few uses. The cable doesn't really do that, but the cable can get bound over itself which is another PITA, and that's when you will cut your hand. Ask me how I know that.

Regardless, if you have a straight bottom boat, ensure you have a safety chain that you latch before you pull up the ramp. Both straps and cables can break.
Sydwayz...........I have cable wire now and it can get tangled like christmas lights plus it has splintered...ooch!...I'll go with the strap...can you recommend a good winch?...I have a 35" Cig
Old 01-13-2017, 05:10 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am buying a Fulton. not sure the model, but its the one that has the cover on it. It looks way better
Old 01-13-2017, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I had that Fulton with the cover for about a week - some cast piece broke off on the inside, and wouldn't work after that. I sent it back and got the regular style Fulton (open, with a strap).
Old 01-13-2017, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

I have had both - and would go with a strap hands down. I had a strap break and all I got was a "slap in the face" if it would have been a cable I would guess it would have cut me.

3pointstar
Old 01-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

If I was starting from scratch with a winch setup today, it would be these two:

https://www.crofttrailer.com/fulton-...y/#page=page-1

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...n/F501204.html

Fulton also makes a 3200 lbs. winch, which is easier to find. But I think with the heavier setup, they give you better gearing/leverage.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dutton-Lainson. You can call them and get someone knowledgeable on the phone if you need a replacement part. I had rebuild kits for my tongue jack and winch within a few days. They've been in business since 1886 for a reason. I also prefer strap over cable.

https://www.dutton-lainson.com/prodd...php?prod=15440
https://www.dutton-lainson.com/prodd...php?prod=14881

Last edited by Speedracer29; 01-13-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Sydwayz;4519333]If I was starting from scratch with a winch setup today, it would be these two:

[url]https://www.crofttrailer.com/fulton

I just purchased a F2 Fulton, 3200# 2 speed trail winch- it just arrived today. I purchased it from Star Marine - (I have not connection with Star Marine) - it was less than Amazon and shipping was very inexpensive - I believe I got it in less than a week- it was a little shy of $150.00. Obviously I haven't put it on our trailer but it sure looks and feels very robust. It has the standard mounting and came with a "strap with hook". Spring can't come fast enough to northern Indiana

3pointstar
Old 01-13-2017, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would seriously consider electric! I don't power load so I typically shallow dip the trailer so I can use the bunks to help align the hull with the trailer. This allows me to float the boat about 3/4 of the way on. I then hook up the winch and jump in the truck. I start winching with the remote while slowly backing in so the boat isn't dragging on the bunks. Once the boat is on the rubbers in the front the girlfriend hooks the safety chain and away we go.

Makes for super fast loads!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.