Notices

Stainless Brake Kits

Old 07-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 450 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Stainless Brake Kits

Has anyone used a Kodiak Stainless Brake kit? I'm wondering if it is worth the price difference over the dacormet parts. This is my 5th season using the dacormet coated kit. I always spray down the brakes with salt away both when I drop and pick the boat up. Rotors and calipers are still in decent shape (salt water use). Just thinking ahead when I will have to replace.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

I put Kodiak on my Rocket quite a few years back, and with SS Calipers and NK rotors. It was a great setup, and I had no complaints. I did install a brake flush kit on the trailer and used it.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:09 PM
Registered

Thank You
Old 07-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had the all stainless kodiaks since I bought trailer in 2003. Dunked in salt probably weekly and they are still in good shape. I had to replace the pads before the came out with the stainless backing plate versions now trouble free.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Registered

Thank you for the feedback.

My luck strikes again. Over this past weekend one of my calipers was not releasing. I guess 4 plus years was pretty good for the coated setup. I just bite the bullet and ordered 2 complete all stainless axle kits. I figured if one caliper was sticking the others would be right behind. It's only money right?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever thought about a rebuild kit? Check out Eastern Marine in Delaware.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fordf350
Have you ever thought about a rebuild kit? Check out Eastern Marine in Delaware.
Yes I have. One great thing about Kodiak brakes you can buy any part for it. The rebuilt kit is about $40 which includes a new stainless piston, seal and dust boot. Seal and dust seal can also be bought separately for a couple dollars.

I was going to rebuild the caliper but the problem was there is rust in the piston bore. If I honed it there would be no coating on the surface and I would imagine it would rust pretty fast. The kit I just bought has stainless caliper body and stainless piston. That could be honed if needed and put right back together for cheap.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just upgraded mine to the stainless calipers because that seems to be the failure point. You did great if you got 4 years out of the dacromat finish. Mine were a year almost to the day when the first piston seized up. I did the rebuild and got another year out of 2 calipers.

Ameritrail here in St Cloud had the best price and had them in stock. Even if you have them shipped, I don't think anyone is cheaper. I am fortunate that they are 5 miles down the road from my house.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ziemer
Just upgraded mine to the stainless calipers because that seems to be the failure point. You did great if you got 4 years out of the dacromat finish. Mine were a year almost to the day when the first piston seized up. I did the rebuild and got another year out of 2 calipers.

Ameritrail here in St Cloud had the best price and had them in stock. Even if you have them shipped, I don't think anyone is cheaper. I am fortunate that they are 5 miles down the road from my house.
When I bought my Velocity I called Ameritrail to get new axles and brakes. I don't remember the gentleman's name I spoke to but he was awesome. Once I told him what boat I had he rattled off all the part numbers from memory. A week later, a pallet arrived at my house with everything I asked for. It was a painless transaction. When I asked about the different brake kits available, he steered me away from the all stainless kit. He recommended to buy the coated kits. I remember him saying that I would be lucky to get 1 year out of drum brakes and 2 years out of discs. I'm sorry I didn't think of them for the brake kits. They completely slipped my mind.

The cheapest I found was 275 shipped for coated rotors and brackets with stainless calipers. 525 shipped for stainless rotors, calipers and brackets. I hope to get at least 8 years out of the kit. I'll report back in 8 years!!!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
When I bought my Velocity I called Ameritrail to get new axles and brakes. I don't remember the gentleman's name I spoke to but he was awesome. Once I told him what boat I had he rattled off all the part numbers from memory. A week later, a pallet arrived at my house with everything I asked for. It was a painless transaction. When I asked about the different brake kits available, he steered me away from the all stainless kit. He recommended to buy the coated kits. I remember him saying that I would be lucky to get 1 year out of drum brakes and 2 years out of discs. I'm sorry I didn't think of them for the brake kits. They completely slipped my mind.

The cheapest I found was 275 shipped for coated rotors and brackets with stainless calipers. 525 shipped for stainless rotors, calipers and brackets. I hope to get at least 8 years out of the kit. I'll report back in 8 years!!!
That's great. It was probably Mark. He deals with most all of the parts orders. They ordered some axles for me a couple months back and they were almost $200 cheaper (per axle) than the manufacturer of my current trailer (Float-On) Exact same axles...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.