Notices

Opinions on traction bars

Old 10-25-2017, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bwd
Temp has spiked twice in the last 6 months on the same highway. To the point of push the coolant out the cap.. How fast are you going? How steep and long are the hills if any . And yes, the intake is tight and clean. New coolers, radiator etc. I'm more concerned with the axle twist anyway.
ugh pushing coolant out of the overflow bottle is never a good sign. Hope you haven't popped a head gasket. Also I'd be careful with a tune on that truck if it isn't head studded.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:57 AM
bwd
Registered

Default 👍

Everything is tight. It's only a 50 hp tow tune. I have a spare engine in the wings , regardless.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 PM
Registered

Traction bars help a TON on the Ford superdutys.

One Up Offroad makes an adjustable set for these trucks - they are the best quality and work great!

Or there are many other sets out there but I will tell you from experience, many sell junk joints, poor geometry and junk hardware. OUO bars don't bang, clank and rattle like many others eventually will.

I cant tell you enough how great of a modification this is for any power level superduty!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:47 PM
bwd
Registered

Nice stuff
Old 10-25-2017, 06:05 PM
Registered

I'm looking at going with taller rims ,possibly wider. Just to get more stability. But not overall Dia. My Cummins pulls pretty hard I want to keep it that way.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:31 PM
bwd
Registered

I went with a 20" 9" rim . The shorter sidewall worked terrific but I overdid it a little when I didn't have to. With the type of driving I do from site to site from Boston to sarasota I wish I had just replaced the nitto 33s I had with the same and left the stock height. But yes, the larger rim is a good way to go if it's a street truck.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need traction bars for a 4" lift. I had a 6" lift with 35s on a superduty, never had any issues towing. The engine running hot and puking out coolant is probably more related to it being a 6.0 than to the lift and tires.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:13 AM
Registered

My 6.4 was pushing coolant and lifting the heads. I decided instead of investing a small fortune in a motor that has a lot of flaws anyway, to just go ahead and bite the bullet and invest a small fortune in building a cummins for it. Almost have it back together.

At least with the 6.0 trucks and a little time and money you can fix most of their issues and make them damn reliable. There is just no unf*cking the 6.4
Old 10-26-2017, 07:56 PM
bwd
Registered

Well, my truck and equipment mechanic assures me , again, that my 6 is running perfect. There is no evidence of a head problem, at least not yet. I should always pay attention to the gauges on big long hills, especially after driving 7-24 hrs straight, towing the boat, in July, when it has been 90 in the shade. Yes , he and some others people I trust, think that there is a limit to what a 325 hp diesel can do" A diesel engine is like a good Labrador retriever, they will keep running till they drop so give it a rest. ease up a bit on the big hills instead of rushing to get home only to save 10 mins." The conscensus is that the larger tires don't help any. The smaller 33's were perfect for what I was doing with it. The 50hp tune and the trans reprogram for the tires will help but it could take some life out of the engine, so drive it like I care about it. Also get moving on the new engine so its waiting , ready to go. As for the lift kit, opinions say get rid of the lift blocks and get the springs for the kit. I cheaped out in the beginning. The lift blocks cause unnecessary twist and strain on the stock springs. The new rear springs will do the same thing traction bars will do for half the cost. Seems logical when I look at the geometry from under the truck. After all, I put new in the front , why not the back. end of story, thanks Brian
Old 10-26-2017, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool, so you ignored all the advice you asked for and answered the question yourself haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.