Notices

Opinions on traction bars

Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bwd
Well, my truck and equipment mechanic assures me , again, that my 6 is running perfect. There is no evidence of a head problem, at least not yet. I should always pay attention to the gauges on big long hills, especially after driving 7-24 hrs straight, towing the boat, in July, when it has been 90 in the shade. Yes , he and some others people I trust, think that there is a limit to what a 325 hp diesel can do" A diesel engine is like a good Labrador retriever, they will keep running till they drop so give it a rest. ease up a bit on the big hills instead of rushing to get home only to save 10 mins." The conscensus is that the larger tires don't help any. The smaller 33's were perfect for what I was doing with it. The 50hp tune and the trans reprogram for the tires will help but it could take some life out of the engine, so drive it like I care about it. Also get moving on the new engine so its waiting , ready to go. As for the lift kit, opinions say get rid of the lift blocks and get the springs for the kit. I cheaped out in the beginning. The lift blocks cause unnecessary twist and strain on the stock springs. The new rear springs will do the same thing traction bars will do for half the cost. Seems logical when I look at the geometry from under the truck. After all, I put new in the front , why not the back. end of story, thanks Brian
Instead of new engine .trade up to around 2010 2013. The big three were having diesel power wars. They all went up in size and huge jump in power. Find one down south that hasn't been exposed to salt water and you will have your self a BEAST. mine is an 08 dodge Cummins 6.7. Think that is around 360hp and 650ftlbs hrs. A couple years newer and they were all pushing like 800torque. Now over 900

Last edited by veloc410; 10-26-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:23 AM
bwd
Registered

Financial it doesn't make sense to do anything but stay the course. It's not a daily driver .i like the truck. I'd much rather have a spare motor and tranny which I have. It drives well and is comfortable . A 2012-13 , ha I can't imagine spend 40 k for something that sits in the yard most of the time. It is a nice idea but I'd rather put it into the boat or house. A buddy in cocoa just bought a new one at 75? Ha ha. Couldn't imagine. These things are pricey. Happy to have what I have.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:23 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't let anybody kid you about a diesel motor. It's happiest running all day in the heat.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bwd
Financial it doesn't make sense to do anything but stay the course. It's not a daily driver .i like the truck. I'd much rather have a spare motor and tranny which I have. It drives well and is comfortable . A 2012-13 , ha I can't imagine spend 40 k for something that sits in the yard most of the time. It is a nice idea but I'd rather put it into the boat or house. A buddy in cocoa just bought a new one at 75? Ha ha. Couldn't imagine. These things are pricey. Happy to have what I have.
very pricey. Mine was north of 87 k from Lewisville auto plex. But dam is it nice. Ha
Old 10-27-2017, 10:42 AM
bwd
Registered

Oof
Old 10-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Registered

I've seen quite a few used trucks down south in autotrader for around 32k. I did a 500 mile search from North Florida. Still a chunk of change a nice truck no rust. 2wd is quite a bit cheaper. That's what I have now.its a basic truck but it doesn't give up. Picked mine up for 13500 with 130k on It down in Louisiana about 3 years ago

Last edited by veloc410; 10-27-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:56 PM
bwd
Registered

I'm perfectly happy with mine. Not a rattle in it. I'm just trying to make the most from what I got after a mistake.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by racinfast002
My 6.4 was pushing coolant and lifting the heads. I decided instead of investing a small fortune in a motor that has a lot of flaws anyway, to just go ahead and bite the bullet and invest a small fortune in building a cummins for it. Almost have it back together.

At least with the 6.0 trucks and a little time and money you can fix most of their issues and make them damn reliable. There is just no unf*cking the 6.4
How much are you thinking it is going to cost to put your Cummins in the Ford? Just curious as I was considering that too.