Notices

DONE truck shopping...

Old 12-29-2017, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 395 Likes on 165 Posts

Thanks a lot Brian......just when I had talked myself into being content with my 2010.

Nice looking ride. Looking forward to seeing it when you get finished with it.

Last edited by payuppsucker; 12-29-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

For those of you that are waiting, and also the type that likes to modify the performance of your truck…

As you're probably aware the 2017 and up GM's have encrypted operating systems. This means there is no tuning and no DPF deletes, etc. etc.

Ford and FCA/Ram WILL do the same at some point in the near future. I can tell you for a fact that Cummins is deeply invested in this effort.

Just keep this in mind as you are debating your future truck purchases and long-term ownership. As soon as FoMoCo and FCA do the same, all of the leftover trucks will get snatched up quick since the market found out what this means with the 2017 GMs.

I'd expect the 2020 FCA/Ram trucks to be encrypted. And perhaps the same with the 2019 Fords come out; maybe a bit later.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-29-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you drive both transmissions? I have service cab chassis of each. The standard trans gear ratios are much better. My Aisin make a lot of noise (like a manhole cover being hit with a sledge hammer when it shifts in lower gears. Kick down when towing not as good as standard trans. It shudders bad before it kicks down. I have had all the updates done and have gone back to the 2nd update. Other than that. Great trucks. I love my 6" lifted 2500 HD Crew cab.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's the 1500 interior though, is it not? the HD's would have a different front console set-up to allow for the transfer case shifter?
Old 12-29-2017, 06:32 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Yep, his name is Bill Harrison. I was happy with pricing. I meant to ask you if you know him too.
I had met him at Shack's years ago but didn't really know him. When I was shopping and saw him I re-introduced myself. I too was happy with the deal.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 103 Posts

Congrats on your new truck so excited for you!

Drocks is sweet also! I just love Rams!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by class6
Did you drive both transmissions? I have service cab chassis of each. The standard trans gear ratios are much better. My Aisin make a lot of noise (like a manhole cover being hit with a sledge hammer when it shifts in lower gears. Kick down when towing not as good as standard trans. It shudders bad before it kicks down. I have had all the updates done and have gone back to the 2nd update. Other than that. Great trucks. I love my 6" lifted 2500 HD Crew cab.
I did drive the two Automatics, the 68RFE and the AISIN. (I think the G56 manual is only available at Laramie levels and below, because it requires the 3-abreast front seat.)

I was very tempted to get a 2500 with the 68RFE; as I like the ride of the 2500 with it's 4-corner coil springs better. But here is what you give up if you get the 68RFE: Ram detunes the Cummins by 100 lb/ft. of Torque and 50HP if you get the 68RFE. They do that to "preserve" the transmission. YES, you can remove that torque/power management with a tuner, but there goes your warranty. I just couldn't handle leaving HP & Torque on the table, knowing my shlt is detuned.

I also drove this truck for a 30-minute test drive:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Ram-25...YAAOSwBRFaPVcT
...which is a brand new 2017 2500 Cummins/68RFE with 37" tires. The number one complaint I had with the truck is the transmission always seemed confused.
That dealer is the #2 in the nation, and has a FULL custom shop where they will build you whatever you want, (not tuned/deleted though), AND they will extend the FCA/Ram factory warranty over whatever they build. However, anything questionable would have to be serviced by them, which is 4 hours from home for me.

In the end, I went with the 3500 with the Aisin, because I did like the way the Aisin shifted and drove. I like that it is a stronger package. And even though the ride of the 3500 is rougher than the 2500, I have been in directly in contact with Carli Suspension's engineering team, and I will be installing one of their full bolt on suspension upgrades/lifts, (3"), which is actually 15% softer than the coil springs on the 2500. Yes, I will be installing airbags in the rear for towing, but I planned to anyhow, as the truck is getting onboard air/compressor & train horns anyhow.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-29-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Pete35Fountain
that's the 1500 interior though, is it not? the HD's would have a different front console set-up to allow for the transfer case shifter?
All of the interiors of the 1500 through 3500 are the same now, pending the trim levels.
The 1500 has that ridiculous rotating electronic gear selector on the dash.
The 2500/3500 Automatics have a column shifter, and in that same spot they have the rotating 4WD selector switch.

Pics:
https://images.auction123.com/f0119b....jpg?wtrmk10nw

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-30-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new truck. I'm sure you can't wait for it to get delivered. I'm glad to help you out in your quest. I would have been disappointed had I driven or flown a distance for that used one local to me. Going Ram with the Aisin tranny along with Carli upgrades will be a baddass hauler. About the only better suspension option for smoothness would be a full on Kelderman air setup. Eventually I want to go with Carli's leveling kit and Air Ride supplemental bags in the rear for hauling. Biggest tire I can go would be 35. 37s will keep me out of parking garages..lol Also, I'm willing to bet the 37s on the one you drove are what affected the transmission's behavior. Changing the height of the tires without any changes to the gears in the axle would confuse the computer. The speeds and RPMs would not match up. Might be why it was constantly searching for the right gear.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sydwayz- Congrats on the new truck. I like that interior package, being a GM family guy I will only get to look at them.

Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.