Notices

2018 GM DEF tank

Old 05-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Their encryption will not be cracked. They are using an NSA level encryption module. ALL light duty trucks will be encrypted sooner than later. I work in this field.
The only thing that will likely happen is a complete aftermarket operating system and hardware for said trucks.

There is a relocation kit for it. It's not a simple procedure that you can DIY.

To the bed:
https://proformance-diesel.com/produ...kit-universal/
Coming soon, to the spare tire location:
https://proformance-diesel.com/produ...re-tire-mount/
Relocating to the spare tire cavity looks promising, thanks for the link.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

???

Derringer L5P Tuner for the 2017-2018 Duramax: Real Power is here! | Banks Power

I m quite happy with my 18 Denali. I will say driving my brothers 17 F350, that trucks no slouch either. Ford finally made a nice driving pickup.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

The other side of the story is if you do a delete kit I am told that dealerships are obligated by law to hold the truck and notify the EPA if you bring a truck in for service or try to trade it in. Doesnt sound like the EPA is playing anymore.
Trump possible new slogan.
Make diesel trucks without DEF again!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
The other side of the story is if you do a delete kit I am told that dealerships are obligated by law to hold the truck and notify the EPA if you bring a truck in for service or try to trade it in. Doesnt sound like the EPA is playing anymore.
Trump possible new slogan.
Make diesel trucks without DEF again!
That is currently going on with class 8 trucks. A guy near me has a few dump trucks that are deleted. The rumor is that the dealer held one of the trucks hostage (while in for warranty work) until the engine mfr. and EPA. were notified. I haven't heard the outcome?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Give it a couple of years. The computers available then will crack it in a few minutes.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

So why is it that Ford can fit the the tank neatly behind the 45 gallon fuel tank.and.have a spare tire still. Whilst chevy can not?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
So why is it that Ford can fit the the tank neatly behind the 45 gallon fuel tank.and.have a spare tire still. Whilst chevy can not?

I'll ask GM.

Again.

It's like that joke about "I didn't get to the gym today. That makes 9 years in a row"

We're hopeful that the redesigned truck will not have the DEF tank exposed.

As far as I know we are currently not required to turn in anyone who has deleted or altered federal emission components, but I also know there is a lot of talk about passing legislation requiring dealers or service centers to do so.

A few years ago we had a customer drop his diesel off for service because it wasn't running right

It threw a code we'd never seen so we called GM with a "wtf is this?" question.
I'll add we sell and service a lot of D-Max equipped trucks and we'd thought we'd seen every trouble code possible.

GM told us "hold the truck, we've got engineers on the way"

Uh-Oh.

That's a really bad position to be in, by the way....do we piss off the customer or GM?

We called the customer and informed him what was going on, added that we couldn't legally hold his truck if he came in and asked us to release it back to him, and advised him that - in our opinion - if he'd tampered with anything he might want to come get his truck and "untamper" it.

I have no idea what would have happened had GM showed up but we did know we didn't want to be in the middle of it.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sydwayz, do you know if GM's encryption applies to all of their vehicles or just the Duramax platform?
Old 05-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

The most advanced stuff is on the Duramax. But everything is getting encrypted and protected.

Why? Because the IoT (or Internet of Things) can be used for good OR for evil. If the technician at the local Northern Virginia somehow becomes compromised, and an adversary has access to his workstation, the next time he connects to a GS350H of a local customer, the adversary could plant a bug in the OS of the car that turns off the brakes, and makes the car accelerate uncontrollably anytime it's within a 1 block radius of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Also, the EPA is one of the driving entities here.
If you buy a fleet of dumptrucks with 390HP Cummins in them or vs. a fleet with 340HP Cummins in them; the ONLY difference between them is the OS. The 390HP trucks are MORE EXPENSIVE because of WARRANTY. They will wear parts out faster. So if you buy a fleet of 340HP trucks, hack them and turn them up to 390HP for better productivity numbers...
...and then when you blow one up and take it in for service (by then you have downgraded the OS back to 340HP)...
...Cummins the manufacturer of the truck platform are getting screwed. (Now, integrate that with the EPA and Emissions and all that jazz.)
This is a BFD, and what we all have to look forward to.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yup, the gov't wants to be able to shut down all vehicles if and when they want too! That's why I'll keep some of my old trucks that only need diesel to run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.