Notices

CDL requirements.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ30
There must be a way to get around the 10k trailer if it is recreational use. Any tri axle is over 10k.
It seems the only way around it is if the vehicle is an RV. So you could have one of those 45' toyhaulers with 3 or 4 axles weighing god knows how much and they don't have to comply with anything. Yet a triple axle (or even tandem axle) boat trailer is subject to enforcement.

That being said, I've driven past a weigh station that flagged me to enter while towing an enclosed car hauler, they didn't care. My dad went into a weigh station when they flagged him with the F650 empty and he said theres only one guy working, they're not even paying attention to what goes down the road. My personal opinion is once they see its a boat, they probably don't care. BUT the technical answer is you need a CDL.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 375 Posts

Called CDL office in KY and brought up the boat. Used my boat and trailer weighting around 12000 an asked if I need a CDL, the response was no, it is treated like a RV. Asked if there is a weight limit of over 30000 and was said no, it is still exempt.

I do need a medical card for my 26000 dump truck, but not for the boat
Old 10-29-2018, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 67 Posts

I think you will find if you call five different offices you will get five different answers but as has already been said here it all comes down to what the nice gentleman that pulled you over feels is the law. I think the vast majority of the people on here while they may be over 10,001 lbs are fine pulling with a pickup truck but for guys moving up to the medium duty trucks towing 50 ft boats its only a matter of time before you get the law explained to you on the side of the rd.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cdl

This topic has been beaten to death here on OSO over the years. The law is any trailer with GVWR 10,001 ( numbers on federal tag ) used in commerce the driver must have Class A license with restriction to truck trailer. Not a license to drive Semi Thats a license that you take road test with say your pickup and a boat, car or horse trailer with GVWR. Of 10,001 or more. Now the gray area of recreational vehicle if truck and trailer registered to you you might slide. If truck or trailer registered to business, if lettering on anything that could be from sponsor means money may be involved so you may be considered using in commerce. Ever since 911 most local police are being schooled in Commercial Vehicle Enforment. There are some very good articles lately on internet on horse trailers and race car trailer and the fact that just going to shows and riding competition you my win something so proper licenses needed. If you don’t want your truck and trailer towed away or put out of service in some inspection area on side of interstate while waiting to find someone who can drive it away. Just go to DMV and get correct license and enjoy your trip or roll the dice and hope not to get stopped
Old 10-30-2018, 04:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 644 Likes on 303 Posts

And .04 on the breath test is considered DUI w CDL. Not that any of us have a Beer on the water
Old 10-30-2018, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the "occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise" apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts

It all depends on your state of licensing. I have a 450 and with my cruiser, I am at 32,000lbs combined. Being that I am in Indiana and Indiana has no non commercial CDL, all I need is a regular drivers license. Alot of states have non commercial CDL's or other types of licensing so look into your state laws.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
GF is 100% correct here. I did a ton of research when I bought my F650 on the same subject. It does not matter if you're using it for personal or commercial uses, if your GCVWR is 26,001lbs or more (doesn't matter what the ACTUAL weight is, just the rating) then you need a CDL. Most people with a 1 ton dually and a triple axle boat trailer are over 26k GCVWR. Now, that being said, I agree that the DOT officials are probably not looking to enforce these laws on boats, but they could if they wanted to and the fines would be steep.

The only loophole (and the loophole to most DOT regulations honestly) is if its an RV. They're exempt from every law it seems. An RV is any vehicle designed for temporary living (travel trailers/5th wheels count). I have heard some people argue their boat is set up for temporary living since it has a head, bed, sink, etc. But that would be up to the interpretation of the DOT official.
Sorry, but you are wrong. It depends on the state that you hold your license in. In Indiana, for example, I do NOT need a CDL even though my truck and boat weigh 32,000lbs. I have a DOT consulting company on retainer because we do employ DOT drivers. I have done extensive research to make sure I am legal towing my personal boats not for hire accross state lines. Commercial CDL laws are federal, non commercial are state by state and follow your home state of license. So look up your home state laws or consult with a DOT expert in your state.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:09 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastboater
seafordguy, you are correct in your assumption. I would say closer to 100%. Guys that have enclosed race car trailers are also effected, by law. Here's the thing. The DOT cops are only concerned with COMMERCIAL vehicles. Ones with DOT issued numbers. They will "target" landscapers, construction cos etc. Their open tandem axle trailers are normally overloaded. Not to mention that they are also checking for the proper papers. Again commercial. The "regular" cops are not fully versed in all of the DOT regulations. The DOT cops are the only ones that carry a set of scales to weigh you. Scales are the ONLY way to know what your rig weighs.
Boatfreak, you are NOT required to have a medical card if you don't have a CDL endorsement. Without the CDL, the DOT won't even look at you.
Sonicss42, DOT regulations are the same in every state. Getting your CDL entails taking the commercial drivers test. Written and driving in the size truck of the class you are seeking. If you are looking to get an class A license then you would need a tractor trailer rig to get that class license.
Scales are not needed to determine if a class A is needed. It is based on the gvwr and the gcvwr. These are the manufacturers ratings of the maximum weight and not the actual weight From my understanding a Class A is needed for a trailer with a rating of over 10k lbs or a combined rating of 26001 lbs or greater.

Overloading a trailer or truck is another issue.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on where and who? Got pulled over in Texas several years ago. F250 with tandem dually gooseneck flatbed empty. Coming from Louisiana to get farm equipment. All I had was cdl and medical card. Ticketed for no fire ext., dot number, name on truck, log book and no battery on breakaway system. This was personnel farm truck and trailer. Oh and I was put out of service for 8 hours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.