Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Well that was fun... sheared the lugs off the drum. >

Well that was fun... sheared the lugs off the drum.

Notices

Well that was fun... sheared the lugs off the drum.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 451 Likes on 269 Posts

I always use anti sieze on the boat trailer studs and never had a problem with the losing up. I do use a torque wrench installing.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Learned may years ago:

1- use a torque wrench
2- clean rust off area where wheel rests on drum/rotor because once rust wears off wheel then is loose!
3- not just trailers but all vehicles
Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,271 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster

They were buggers to get off so WD40 and ran them on and off until they cleaned up.

THAT was your problem. WD40 is barely a lubricant, it's water based so that didn't help you much at all. They still heated up. You can't use lug nuts to "clean up threads", as it will destroy both the lug nuts and the studs. They may have held, but you weakened the threads on both of them. You need to use a proper thread restoring tool. And lug nuts are expendable items. Any issue that you can't quickly clean up with a thread restorer, pitch the lug nut. It's better to pitch a lug nut than destroy a stud, or even worse.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

“BUT ITS JUST A TRAILER!” - me, in a moment of dumbness.

I’ve been very careful about grease, torque settings on the hub, etc, but figured just running them down even with the impact was close enough like your typical garage monkey, but nope.

Many amateur hacks led up to a wheel passing me by on the highway, and I’m very thankful it wasn’t worse. Thanks for all of the input, and hopefully someone else learns from my mistakes.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Registered

I checked all of the other lug nuts and they were all 80-85lbs. A little snug but not catastrophic. My lesson here is only clean dry treads and check often. It seems that with steel wheels there’s very little nut/seat contact, so if they loosen a smidge it doesn’t take much before all hell breaks loose.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm a retired auto mechanic and have literally installed thousands of wheels using just an impact wrench and never had one come loose or break off the studs (that I know of!).
Old 07-17-2019, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

They didn't replace the old lug nuts did they? There are 2 different types. Conical or cone and radiused or “ball” style . They don't look drastically different however they don't play well with each other at all.

I've also never used a torque wrench for lug nuts and always use anti-seize. Then again, I've had the same Blue Point 1/2" impact for 40 years so we've developed an understanding.

Last edited by zz28zz; 07-18-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by zz28zz
They didn't replace the old lug nuts did they? There are 2 different types. Conical or cone and radiused or “ball” style . They don't look drastically different however they don't play well with each other at all.

I've also never used a torque wrench for lug nuts and always use anti-seize. Then again, I've had the same Blue Point 1/2" impact for 40 years so we've developed an understanding.
Same lug nuts that have been on there for the last five years when I bought the boat/trailer. Which ones are needed for the steel rims? I’ll check next time I’m there.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Since they have been working for 5 years, that's probably not the issue.
Yours are probably conical. Couldn't tell for sure from the pic. You can tell by looking at the area of the wheel where the nut seats. Conical is a straight 60 deg taper (like a funnel). The ball type is scooped out so a ball shape would fit and make maximum contact.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Registered

Had to share an unusual experience. I went into a Carquest store for a battery tender and asked if they have wheel studs for a trailer drum. He actually pulled out a huge book and looked them up and five minutes later I had the perfect studs. No questions about make or model. The dude actually sorted it out like the good ol’ days. Shocked.

Put it in the new studs with a new wheel and after a couple hundred miles no issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.