Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Well that was fun... sheared the lugs off the drum. >

Well that was fun... sheared the lugs off the drum.

Notices

Well that was fun... sheared the lugs off the drum.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Well that was fun... sheared the lugs off the drum.

Brand new tires and installed less than a hundred miles ago. Rolling down the highway when a violent shimmie rolled on so I pulled over immediately and the rear portside tire and wheel literally pass by me on the highway.

Im wondering if corrosion was a factor but I’m guessing it was just me neglecting to torque them down again after instal. Lesson (maybe) learned.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have NEVER retorqued a wheel and have never had one come loose. I say the tire seller needs to make it right.
when is the last time you greased that axel?
Old 07-13-2019, 10:57 PM
Registered

Last year and goo gobs of fresh grease there. Bearings feel great and all spins by hand easy enough. I put these on myself with a Makita 1/2” impact gun.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:14 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,964 Likes on 987 Posts

That is from not being torqued enough or over torqued. Once the lugs get even a little loose you are screwed.
If they are over torqued it can strip/gall the threads and the lugs won't hold.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:58 AM
Registered

I didn’t double check with a torque wrench but the Makita usually runs them down to about 95#. I’ll check the others with a torque wrench and see where they’re at. Those lugs were a little rusty when I pulled the wheel off and shot some anti corrosion junk on them. Otherwise I just ran them on the same way that I’ve done for years.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

You can tell by the lug holes in the wheel that they were loose for quite a while. Sorry to say but it looks like this one is on you.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
You can tell by the lug holes in the wheel that they were loose for quite a while. Sorry to say but it looks like this one is on you.
Not denying that a bit. There’s a small chance that they were over torqued in combo with with some corrosion but I think the corrosion gave me a false sense of torque and I didn’t follow up and recheck.

No shops were open and even tried calling Naps.

“Do you have 10” drums for a trailer”
”Year and model?”

I threw a tow strap around the axle and rolled it home slowly. Not much else I could.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 826 Likes on 386 Posts

I leaned the hard way that lubricant on lug nuts can cause then to back off and as mentioned, once the loan a little you are in trouble...
Old 07-14-2019, 03:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I leaned the hard way that lubricant on lug nuts can cause then to back off and as mentioned, once the loan a little you are in trouble...
Sounds like the culprit. They were buggers to get off so WD40 and ran them on and off until they cleaned up.

Anyone use loctite on lug nuts?

Next time ill wire wheel them and install dry.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 974 Likes on 353 Posts

you can use the wd40 when taking them off for the rust but you need to clean them good before putting them back on. lug nuts should never have anything on them as the friction is part of what keeps them in place. that and the right torque. most lug nuts are around 75-85 ft lbs. I have had some that were put on by the monkeys at the tire shop that were so tight I almost could not get them off and the lugs were damaged and had to be replaced. I always just run them up till they touch and then put a torque wrench to them to know they are good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.