Notices

trailer tire

Old 03-09-2020, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 374 Likes on 166 Posts

I would replace tire, check for play in wheel brg., and watch it real close. If it starts wearing funny again something has to be crooked in wheel end. ( toe or camber from something being bent)
Old 03-09-2020, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Does that wheel have a brake that could be dragging?
Old 03-10-2020, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Not trying to highjack the thread but I’m also curious, hopefully paranoid. My trailer might be out of alignment, negative camber. I replaced all 4 tires last year, old ones where starting to wear on the inside. Can’t remember the DOT date but they were old and time to replace. After the tires, I did change to a lower receiver on my truck, I had too much weight on the back. That could answer why the back tires may have negative camber but not so much the front?
Was it a combination of age, alignment, and over inflation?
What is a good psi to run? 12 ply tire says 80 psi but I feel that is kinda high? Tandem trailer under a 32 fever.
Unfortunately my drive way is tight. I take my time but I still have to put the trailer in a bind.
Bearings are good, went through all of them this winter.
If it is all due to alignment, what are my option?
Saw on YouTube an alignment shop put chains on the axel and use a portapower to bend them. I have no clue where I could go for that, defiantly not local. A 2500 truck is asking too much for some local shops.

The spindles are bolted to the axels, can you put angled spacers? Or is that an ignorant question I shouldn’t even ask?
Or is it time for new axels?
I plan to keep a close eye on my tires this season but want to take action quick if these tires wear the same way.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

interesting thoughts JT,,,i dont know how you would negative camber?? trailer over loaded??
i never thought about ball height,,i guess this could change load on tires.
jacked trailer up last night,,spun tire,,looked good and true, and buddy said maybe brake was locked ,,not the case
i have built 8,,,10 trailer,,car and landscape over the years, i never heard or saw anything like angle plates under axle.
looked at load rating,,it was metric...lovely
so i guess i will buy two tires for front axle.

JT look at your axles ,,,are they straight??
i bent axle years ago on this trailer,,so they can get bent.

Last edited by flashgordon; 03-10-2020 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2020, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by flashgordon
interesting thoughts JT,,,i dont know how you would negative camber?? trailer over loaded??
i never thought about ball height,,i guess this could change load on tires.
jacked trailer up last night,,spun tire,,looked good and true, and budddy said maybe brake was locked ,,not the case
Negative camber would probably effect both sides if overloaded. You said the other tires were wearing fine correct?
could be just an old tire with a broken belt?
To my eye, they don’t look bent but...

Last edited by jtbooten; 03-10-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,250 Likes on 1,454 Posts

Originally Posted by flashgordon
yea,,turning or backing tight places the tires are sliding...
but strange ,,,just the one tire.
i inflate tires to 45 psi,,they are a 12 ply trailer tire.
as to getting them hot,,the boat launch is 2 miles from my house or meijers prem gas 5 miles.
I run 65-70 lbs in my 12 ply.......what brand are the tires

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 03-10-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
I run 65-70 lbs in my 12 ply.......what brand are the tires
yea,, i run 45 so tires are not over inflated
brand....super A QZ106...???? no brand name tires..bought in 2012 off ebay
but they trailer only tires..12 ply
ahhh,,,found them QZ106 countrywide
great...so i can just replace that tire..
Old 03-10-2020, 09:46 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by jtbooten
Not trying to highjack the thread but I’m also curious, hopefully paranoid. My trailer might be out of alignment, negative camber. I replaced all 4 tires last year, old ones where starting to wear on the inside. Can’t remember the DOT date but they were old and time to replace. After the tires, I did change to a lower receiver on my truck, I had too much weight on the back. That could answer why the back tires may have negative camber but not so much the front?
Was it a combination of age, alignment, and over inflation?
What is a good psi to run? 12 ply tire says 80 psi but I feel that is kinda high? Tandem trailer under a 32 fever.
Unfortunately my drive way is tight. I take my time but I still have to put the trailer in a bind.
Bearings are good, went through all of them this winter.
If it is all due to alignment, what are my option?
Saw on YouTube an alignment shop put chains on the axel and use a portapower to bend them. I have no clue where I could go for that, defiantly not local. A 2500 truck is asking too much for some local shops.

The spindles are bolted to the axels, can you put angled spacers? Or is that an ignorant question I shouldn’t even ask?
Or is it time for new axels?
I plan to keep a close eye on my tires this season but want to take action quick if these tires wear the same way.
I replaced the bent torsion axles on my Rocket trailer years ago. It wasn’t expensive or difficult.

As for tires, it is imperative to keep them covered or indoors, and NOT parked on grass.

And for your tight driveway, hose it down before you go in and out. It will make it a ton easier to turn and will keep wear down on the tires and driveway surface. I don’t have a paved/concrete driveway, but if I did the last 20-30 feet at the road would be gravel for this reason (and to avoid snow plow damage).
Old 03-10-2020, 09:50 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

2012 tires ALL need to be replaced, period. Ticking timebomb.

Tires only have a 7 year max life. Some will say it’s 5.

Others will say it’s 40 years regardless because they still have the original tires on their 1979 Corvette with 13000 miles.

But for something like a trailer that could have catastrophic results due to a failure, keep them under 7 years old from their stamped DOT born on date, period.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:23 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My tread blow out last year on my TH below. If you look closely, I also have a TPMS which monitors temp and pressure. I had no indicator of a problem until the tread left the building, and the tire pressure dropped about 5 pounds or so. As mentioned above, it stayed inflated.

Those stupid plastic fenders are around $200 each. That sucked plus the other body work I had to do, including fixing the bent frame supports, underbelly, and insulation.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-10-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.