Notices

Best Boat Trailer tire?

Old 01-07-2022, 06:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,371 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
14 ply. then forget about it.
agreed, on my myco i went with gladiator 14 ply (made in the molds next to goodyears) ill never have a LT tire on a trailer again with their soft sidewalls. ive towed the tiger all over in the past few years Florida to CT a couple times.
The following 2 users liked this post by offshoredrillin:
Menage_Aqua (07-12-2022), Quinlan (01-08-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 175 Posts

I've had good luck with several sets of the Carlisle radial HD tires. I only run trailer tires for 3 seasons before replacement.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:31 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

Quoting some info from a past thread on trailer tires, and how to make them live the good life:

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Also, be certain of two things. Do NOT park the trailer on grass when not in use. Gravel, boards, boards with Teflon sheets or asphalt shingles on top, concrete, or pavement; preferred in that order. Parking on dirt/grass destroys tires. Moisture wicks up from the dirt/grass and affects the tire's composition.

AND, be certain that the tires are covered and protected from UV rays. I use and recommend these:
https://www.amazon.com/Amfor-Waterpr.../dp/B071NP7XNC https://www.amazon.com/Amfor-Waterpr.../dp/B071NP7XNC

I have also been using this trailer TPMS for the past year, and it's worth EVERY penny.
Be certain to get new high-pressure valve stems with a brass core put in your wheels with the new tires. And then invest in the trailer TPMS. It is waterproof.
Amazon Amazon
https://www.minderresearch.com/tireminder/

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-07-2022 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 926 Likes on 396 Posts

These Goodyear Endurance tires are what are on my sport trail trailer. I’ve had zero issues with them. I have to regularly cut them hard to get backed into my driveway. See the tire marks in the driveway pic. I even found a deep cut in one, probably from originally mounting them. That tire was rolling along like that for 3-4yrs. Not a fan of anything else Goodyear but I like these.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by IGetWet
These Goodyear Endurance tires are what are on my sport trail trailer. I’ve had zero issues with them. I have to regularly cut them hard to get backed into my driveway. See the tire marks in the driveway pic. I even found a deep cut in one, probably from originally mounting them. That tire was rolling along like that for 3-4yrs. Not a fan of anything else Goodyear but I like these.
I TOTALLY agree. I was pissed when I heard that Cooper was bought by Goodyear. I hate all things Goodyear tires, except using them on a trailer. I put 6 brand new Goodyear Wrangler HT tires on my F350 DRW for a year, with the plan to move them to my Myco when I was ready to do some custom work to the truck. They WERE HORRIBLE to drive on; like driving on wet spaghetti all the time. BUT, that's what came factory on my Myco trailer at the time. When I moved the tires from the truck to the Myco, they worked great, just as the originals had.
Many years prior, I put a set of AT Wranger tires on a 2-door Tahoe, and I took them back 2 hours later and paid the extra money for BFG AT KO tires, for the same reason; horrible handling.

Now I have Goodyear Endurance E-rated tires on my Toy Hauler, and they definitely take some abuse. But they have been great for me for a couple seasons now.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

If you need to buy rims my money is on the 19.5s -- if you want to reuse what you have 16/17" rims it's a crap shoot on tire quality -- most of them come from China area now -- they don't wear out they dry rot and blow... I have a earth mover from The Viet Nam war the tires on it have no dry cracks and it sat outside for decades. The local tire guy won't mount a tire if it's older than 4 years...

Old 01-07-2022, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
There are MANY threads and thoughts on this topic.

Biggest question is what size wheels? Do you have 16" wheels already? The majority of folks with that size of a boat run 16" wheels with either E-Rated LT truck tires, 235/85R16, like a Firestone Transforce HT.
...OR...
They have moved up to a G-rated RV based trailer tire like the Sailun or Goodyear G614 RST in the ST235/80R16 size.
NOTE that going to the G-rated tires usually increases tire weight by 50%. But most folks who have stepped up, are happy with the setup.
I did the Firestone Transforce HT that you recommended. 8 new wheels and tires a year a go, Im not pulling the weight that some are the boat is a light lay-up

The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 175 Posts

I've read so many threads about trailer tires over the years. The is so much debate on weather truck tires are OK to run on a trailer. So much talk about how trailer tires are specifically designed to handle the side loads etc and a truck tire isn't.

So we have to make a tough choice. Run trailer rated tires and replace them every 3 or less years because they fail, or do the wrong thing and run truck rated tires that perform great season after season.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 67 Posts

I switched from Goodyear Wranglers to the G614 and really like them. I was having problems with popping cords on rough interstates ( thankfully those will all be fixed with the infrastructure bills) and haven't had any trouble with the 614s. Yes that was a joke
The following 2 users liked this post by boatfreak:
Menage_Aqua (07-12-2022), Sydwayz (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 04:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
I've read so many threads about trailer tires over the years. The is so much debate on weather truck tires are OK to run on a trailer. So much talk about how trailer tires are specifically designed to handle the side loads etc and a truck tire isn't.

So we have to make a tough choice. Run trailer rated tires and replace them every 3 or less years because they fail, or do the wrong thing and run truck rated tires that perform great season after season.
Now that Sailun, Goodyear G116, and the like are in the picture in the 16" tire size for most large boat trailers...
...I feel as though they are strong options. BUT there are trade offs. They are MUCH heavier which is going to additionally tax your suspension and braking components compared to what they were originally designed for.
I broke a brake line on my Myco years ago, solid line from the hose to caliper, due to vibration.

The Goodyear Endurance ST E-rated tire is also a great tire in the 15" and 16" tire sizes. (I own and run them.)
Maxxis 8008 is a great ST D and E rated tire in the 14" and 15" inch sizes. (I have own and run them.)
Rainer ST also APPEARS to be a great tire in the ST 15" size, and perhaps others. (They came on an aluminum car trailer that I bought, and I've been quite happy with them; a great tire so far.)

But like I said above, and always say...
...you HAVE to take care of them. You can't abuse your trailer, it's tires, and components; for weeks or months on end, and then expect it to perform to it's full capability on a moments notice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.