Notices

Will Insurance Cover This?

Old 01-03-2023, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 809 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
A 4500-series may have been a better bet but then again we do not know which model this one is exactly.

My thought is that the seller of the camper is at fault.
Without knowing specifics, the dealership can also be at fault if the owner went in specifically to by a truck for that camper... If the sales rep just assumed the camper was a lightweight and said it would work... Then the dealership sold a truck that wasn't capable of task.( Who will then retort the truck was overloaded with gear+ bike et all)

Just another side of the conversation that's probably going between the owners lawyers.

It definitely shows what does happen to a modern truck when capacity is exceeded.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:23 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 575 Posts

too many variable without knowing details........just looking up payload for a 2019 dodge ram 3500....Just guessing its not new but not that old... it says they can go to 7600lbs for payload....but we dont know if the owner loaded more gear inside the camper. Another thought i had was how the camper is attached to the truck in the middle where it broke....if the installer drilled holes in the frame....then Dodge will say that weakened the frame and they not responsible.... i see this going years of finger pointing!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-03-2023, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I thought the purpose of insurance was to cover stupidity? Unfortunately.
If you run a red light (hopefully by accident, or ideally not at all), that's kinda the same thing as accidentally overloading the vehicle.

If your intention was to defraud the insurance company for a new truck, then that would be 1. not covered 2. illegal.
if you did at least SOME research and bought the truck, and camper thing, and a company installed them, or you did, to the best of your knowledge, and this occurred, I would expect insurance to cover it.

Generally Insurance, (from what I've read of my policy) wouldn't cover things that are illegal. Was putting that camper on the truck illegal or just misinformed consumer?

I'm going to side with the consumer on this one. I'd fault the company that put the camper on the truck. They should know better, and their insurance should be covering it.

I would say that overloading your car/truck is illegal. I would guess most states have a law for that. Kinda like hauling a trailer that weighs too much is probably also illegal. Is the camper sales place at fault for selling a camper? Who's jobs is it to make sure your car is up to par before turning the ignition key?
Old 01-03-2023, 04:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 662 Likes on 311 Posts

There has to be more to this story. That RAM should have easily been able to handle the camper, those things have a HELLUVA payload rating, should have been far more than adequate.
articfriends (01-03-2023), Gimme Fuel (01-04-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 04:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 867 Likes on 325 Posts

At that point isnt it easier to just strap a full-size motorhome to the roof? wtf!
The following users liked this post:
SB (01-04-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajaman
There has to be more to this story. That RAM should have easily been able to handle the camper, those things have a HELLUVA payload rating, should have been far more than adequate.

Helluva rating is still a rating and he went passed it! Also, reading the article, he was on bumpy Mexican roads. I saw someone above mention installer may have drilled frame or altered it in some way.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:09 PM
Registered

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...0lP?li=BBnb7Kz
Wildman_grafix (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,411 Posts

"It`s a Ram of course"? What does that mean? You a Ford or Chevy Fan boy?
So if you overload a truck and stuff happens let`s blame the the manufacturer?
Id hate to see what would happen to the aluminum bed of a Ford of they put that much weight on it.
articfriends (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

It's covered if the owner has "Farmers insurance" ... a least from their past commercials (LOL)! I'm retired from the auto industry, and unless changed insurance covered stupidity too
Old 01-04-2023, 06:59 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Maybe the ‘famous’ Ford Raptor guy was driving it down those dirt roads.
”I dunno mr insurance guy, i was just driving down a dirt road and…i dunno…it just fell apart.”

The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
AmiableDave (01-15-2023), ICDEDPPL (01-05-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.