Notices

In search of a new tow vehicle

Old 07-18-2023, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 451 Likes on 220 Posts

I test drove a new 2022 1500 RST last year and I am not kidding, the check transmission light came on during my test drive. I so wanted that truck to work out, but like you I did have massive reservations about that 10 speed. That sealed its fate I'm afraid for me.

I went Ram and couldn't be happier.

Old 07-18-2023, 03:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,000 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by techman
I test drove a new 2022 1500 RST last year and I am not kidding, the check transmission light came on during my test drive. I so wanted that truck to work out, but like you I did have massive reservations about that 10 speed. That sealed its fate I'm afraid for me.

I went Ram and couldn't be happier.
Techman,

Ain't doing Dodge. That's that. It pains me to know that my wife is leaning toward the Challenger instead of the Camaro.

I don't necessarily have reservations. I am reading both good and bad. I tend to think the bad gets more airspace than the good. People are generally too busy enjoying their new whatever to hop on the interwebs and heap praise on it, but they always seem to find time to complain about them when they fall short of expectations. Hence the inquiry.

While my test drive went significantly different than yours, your experience is certainly noted.

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
techman (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 451 Likes on 220 Posts

Believe me, I love the bow tie. but they have been struggling as of late. From odd designs, to lagging tech, to clunky engineering (cylinder deactivation, active fuel management) All of it was too much to swallow. I've had my problems with Ford, so wasn't going to entertain them. What Stelantis has done with Dodge/Ram in the past decade is hard to ignore from a pure improvement perspective. My old man had a 90's Dodge 1500....rolling piece of junk. So it took some convincing.

Bad reviews are fun to read and write so its easy to see why they dominate the online chatter.

Best of luck in your search.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 637 Likes on 297 Posts

I have the same set up in my 19 Yukon Denali. Almost 100K miles and No issues yet. Done fluid and filter 2 times already.
Don't tow much but small trailer or seadoos but I drive the Fuk out of it.
if I get 15MPG i am lucky. And I hand calculate/check milage every fill up. Thinking it might change lol. Not the DIC.
Always use remote start to heat or cool down so that may be why milage is lower.

I have a friend that is service mgr at a Chevy dealership and they are having major problems with newer transmissions, but I think it is the others and not the 10speed.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 1,420 Likes on 793 Posts

I think or at least my friend told me the 10 speed is an Allison design but built by GM? IDK just wondering.

The same as FORD, that would be a big surprise.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Guys,

Good or bad, we bought the truck. I love it so far. Haven’t towed with it yet, but I can already tell it’s gonna kick the cowboy dogsh!t out of our Avalanche.

Thanks. Brad.
The following 4 users liked this post by Brad Christy:
Knot 4 Me (07-20-2023), Plowtownmissile (07-20-2023), techman (07-20-2023), Wildman_grafix (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 08:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I think or at least my friend told me the 10 speed is an Allison design but built by GM? IDK just wondering.

The same as FORD, that would be a big surprise.
Wildman,

That's what I understand. The 10sp is designed jointly and MFRd by both GM and Ford, under “rigorous standards and scrutiny” by Allison. Whatever THAT means.

A colleague of mine has one in an F150, and he doesn’t like it. It hasn’t failed or given him any real problems, but he doesn’t like how it feels and shifts. I have not experienced anything that I would describe as out of place. I can tell you that, when you put the befall to the firewall, I goes though a short committee meeting as it downshifts, then plants your head on the headrest.

So far, I’m impressed. I can accelerate moderately getting on the highway and reach 80MPH without exceeding 2000RPM, and it will cruise at 80MPH at about 16-1700 RPM.

We are heading to Cumberland this afternoon (I think), where we left the boat last weekend. We will hitch it up in the morning and head to the ramp and see how it does around town. We’ll be bringing it back to Dayton Sunday, so we’ll get to put it through it’s paces on the highway. I am not anticipating any issues.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

coming in at 222.4" I personally think this is the best tow option available for a Midwest daily and tow vehicle.... if my duramax pick up wasn't a garage queen (stored in winter) i would have went this rout instead....

https://duramaxsuv.com/
Old 07-20-2023, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

I have an '15 F-150 Platinum with 5.0L/6-speed. Drove a buddy's F-150 that had the Eco-Bomb/10-speed. The thing I didn't like about the 10-speed was it skipping gears under normal driving conditions. I get why it is programmed that way, but it just felt weird to me. Haven't driven a newer GM product with the 10-speed to see if it is the same.

Sweet truck, Brad. Enjoy!
Old 07-20-2023, 09:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 30outlaw
coming in at 222.4" I personally think this is the best tow option available for a Midwest daily and tow vehicle.... if my duramax pick up wasn't a garage queen (stored in winter) i would have went this rout instead....

https://duramaxsuv.com/
30Outlaw,

Yeah..... We abandoned the concept of keeping it in the garage. That, and the wife moved the goalposts....

She decided it was time for a mid-life crisis buy, and is looking at Camaros and Challengers. Whatever she ultimately decides on will not have a problem with fitting in the garage, and the truck we ended up with doesn't stand a chance of fitting in the garage.

Now we just have to broom a couple vehicles.

Thanks. Brad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.