Notices

Bunker Carpet

Old 04-24-2023, 03:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 913 Likes on 523 Posts
Default Bunker Carpet

Guys,

Gonna take the boat to get a small chip in the gelcoat, right at the trailing edge of a strake, at the step, on our boat. I saw a bit of damage to the carpet on one of the trailer bunkers, and I suspect it is the culprit, or at least a simultaneous casualty of slipping the boat over the step on the bunker when the trailer was too deep. I am thinking about replacing the carpet on the bunkers while the boat is on jack stands. Pretty sure the wood is still solid. Is there any reason to go with anything other than indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowe’s? If so, suggestions?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 04-24-2023, 04:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 646 Likes on 300 Posts

'Cuda Powersports | Boat Trailer Bunk Carpet | Anchors & Storage

I've found 'Cuda to have THE best bunk carpet...quite a bit thicker than any other I've found, and has a 'nappy' side for the boat and a smooth side for the bunk. Indoor/outdoor carpet from the big box stores isn't meant to hold up to the weight/friction of a boat and starts to fail pretty quickly.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bajaman
'Cuda Powersports | Boat Trailer Bunk Carpet | Anchors & Storage

I've found 'Cuda to have THE best bunk carpet...quite a bit thicker than any other I've found, and has a 'nappy' side for the boat and a smooth side for the bunk. Indoor/outdoor carpet from the big box stores isn't meant to hold up to the weight/friction of a boat and starts to fail pretty quickly.
BajaMan,

Thanks for that. I've got some measurin' to do.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 04-25-2023, 03:21 AM
Registered

Received 147 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Bunk carpet

There are many different brands of dedicated bunk carpet.

I have bought from Amazon for convenience.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 1,399 Likes on 780 Posts

Like the others said Brad, carpet from Homey or Lowes is not meant to be wet and stay wet. Any trailer place has bunk carpet, amazon, the link above (I book marked it, need to redo a new trailer I have).
Old 04-25-2023, 08:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Guys,

I guess the wife has informed me we don't need to do this ATM. I guess I can't argue, as I almost never see the trailer empty.

Good to know a source though. And it can be bought on Amazon. Even the Cuda stuff, which seems like a pretty good option.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 04-25-2023, 09:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 137 Posts

Just tell her no prob honey we can wait to do the carpet on the bunks...I'll just start looking for a fiberglass guy to fix the hole in the bottom because you wanted to wait on the carpet hahahahaha

Never ran across the Cuda stuff before....doing that for sure on mine when I redo the trailer
Old 04-25-2023, 09:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Just tell her no prob honey we can wait to do the carpet on the bunks...I'll just start looking for a fiberglass guy to fix the hole in the bottom because you wanted to wait on the carpet hahahahaha

Never ran across the Cuda stuff before....doing that for sure on mine when I redo the trailer
BBYSTWY,

"A woman can toss more out the back door with a teaspoon than a man can through the front door with a scoop shovel."
-Fred Christy (Thanks, dad.)

We've been stung so many times this way, I've lost count. Oh, well.... Happy wife......

Like I said, I hardly ever get to see the trailer empty, as she does the truck and I'm in the boat. I do seem to recall a minor tear in the carpet on one, maybe two, bunks, though. Nothing major that might actually do any damage. I just like to get ahead of things when an opportunity arises, like already having the boat off the trailer for other reasons.

I'm thinking the damage we are getting repaired this time around is a result of the learning curve associated with new ownership of our first stepped hull and getting the trailer depth right at the ramp. So, it's my fault.

I guess we'll just do it the hard way, then, babe.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
The following users liked this post:
BBYSTWY (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 4,620 Likes on 1,324 Posts

I like the plastic slides over the carpet , helps get the trailer off easier and it`s durable. Can`t rip plastic.

sonicss42 (04-25-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 05:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 632 Likes on 293 Posts

^^^ I really like the color on your trailer to match boat scheme. Have not noticed that before.
ICDEDPPL (04-26-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.