Notices

Surge Brakes to EOH Conversion

Old 05-17-2024, 04:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 862 Likes on 494 Posts
Default Surge Brakes to EOH Conversion

Guys,

I'm thinking I want to convert our surge brake trailer over the EOH. Anybody ever done it? What all is involved? In my mind, I'm immobilizing the surge brake sliding assembly.... Somehow.... (I have some ideas), mounting the electric-hydraulic actuator, connecting the brake line, and bleeding the lines. That about it?

Thoughts?

Thanks. Brad.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 347 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Guys,

I'm thinking I want to convert our surge brake trailer over the EOH. Anybody ever done it? What all is involved? In my mind, I'm immobilizing the surge brake sliding assembly.... Somehow.... (I have some ideas), mounting the electric-hydraulic actuator, connecting the brake line, and bleeding the lines. That about it?

Thoughts?

Thanks. Brad.
It is very easy, like you said you have to either switch out the coupler or weld it solid as i did. Install the actuator where it is convenient (I, suggest, make sure it is above the water line) install all the wiring and brake line, fill bleed and you're done. Make sure to check if your truck is compatible with the EOH or you may also need a control unit.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 1Zoom
It is very easy, like you said you have to either switch out the coupler or weld it solid as i did. Install the actuator where it is convenient (I, suggest, make sure it is above the water line) install all the wiring and brake line, fill bleed and you're done. Make sure to check if your truck is compatible with the EOH or you may also need a control unit.
Zoom,

I’m not real fond of welding if there’s a less “destructive” way of immobilizing the surge slider. I was thinking of making a linking bar to install in place of the shock dampers that are on it now.

The truck was electric ready from the factory. I’m good there. The wiring for the connector I can handle. I was thinking about mounting it on top of the coupler, directly above where the master cylinder is now. Might even be able to use the mounting holes with an adapter plate, which I could make.

Any recommendations on electric actuators?

Thanks. Brad.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I went with hydra star kit for my disc brakes.

Hydrastar® MARINE Electric Over Hydraulic (EOH) Trailer Mounted Brake Actuator Plug'n'Play Complete System with Controller Adapter Module (CAM) - Hydrastar (hydrastarusa.com)
Old 05-17-2024, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I also did the hydra star. Went with their plug and play kit because I hate wiring. I just replaced the coupler and sold the surge unit. Mounted the hydra star just behind the coupler on the tongue as that's where my brake line came out. No regrets, the trailer brakes much better and I dont have to deal with that annoying surge thud anymore.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 437 Likes on 260 Posts

Just buy a new coupler. Not worth the time making it work if you don't want to weld it.
The following 3 users liked this post by underpsi68:
30outlaw (06-05-2024), AmiableDave (05-18-2024), Padraig (05-18-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 538 Likes on 255 Posts

It's super easy to do. The Hydrastar will be your best choice to go with. When I did my conversion I bought everything individually, including a new bolt on coupler and saved around $150 on parts vs buying the kit. Basically all that is needed is a break away switch, battery, Hydrastar unit, Ford/Chevy adapter if needed, seven way plug with cord and a junction box. Super simple to mount and connect everything in one afternoon.
The following users liked this post:
RedBoatFl (06-05-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 09:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Just buy a new coupler. Not worth the time making it work if you don't want to weld it.
UnderPSI,

Describe “new coupler”…. Does it involve cutting and welding?

Thanks. Brad.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

PA,

I found a thread on TheHullTruth that linked to the 1600psi version of that one. We’re 7Klbs boat and trailer. Is the 1000psi one OK?

1600psi HydroStar

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 05-17-2024 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2024, 03:24 AM
Registered

Received 525 Likes on 211 Posts

You want the 1600 psi and a new coupler. Have had mine for 1 year and 4 days. Couldn't be happier. Went to Advanced auto for the Flex brake line

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...+Bolt+On+-+21K

http://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=HYDRASTAR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.