Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

looking for tow vehicle advise?

Old 04-14-2004, 06:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Talking

Originally posted by Sydwayz
Troutly, if we ever meet up... truck to truck that is; we are going at it slick!!

BTW, how is that rust bucket doing these days?

I've got the AirLift 1000's on my 2500 'Burb and they work great!!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1997 Ford F-350 4x4 crew cab diesel fully outfitted for towing is going up for sale here soon

Anyone interested?????

(Free air bags in rear suspension)
Old 04-14-2004, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

So these help the side to side push (sway) of the ass of the truck you get under certian circumstances (down hill/deccel/or both) towing alot of weight on a straight drawbar (no weight dist hitch)? BTW...I know you trailer alot Troutly, are you using a weight dist hitch setup with this new truck/heavy boat combo? Oh...I just ordered me a D/A CC SB... GMS pricing + $1000 rebate + 60 mo 0%...ridiculous deal. Got every $ back for my '02 HD EC and keeping all my goodies off it for the new truck. Me very happy.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Registered

I have hauled some very large and heavy boats. 45 Sonics, 43 Black Thunder, and the likes. Don't use weight distributing and have a single wheel rear axle. Haven't had the sway problem except in heavy winds. The bags level the truck to make for a more controlled and smoother ride (except when you leave the pressure in them and unload the trailer)

Just bought a 2004 GMC Duramax crewcab dually 4x4 list price $47003.00 out the door for just over $39000.00
Old 04-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2001 382 formula and had to cosider replacing my 2001 dodge 3/4 ton diesel with a dually and 4.10 gaers or upgrade my truck to 4.10 gears. I already have the complete banks performance kit installed. I decided to invest the $1500.00 for new gears. I pulled the boat from Arizona to INdiana in 28 hours and got 18MPG. The truck pulled awesome. The only negative is when some of the semis fleww by me. A little bit of fishtail that I think a dually wouldn't have. Oh, it also puled the boat out of the water up a steep ramp like it was an 18' boat! I like my dodge!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

well, I'll just say that the more weight your towing on a staight drawbar only...the more critical it is to have perfect ball height and tongue weight. The more lbs back there, the less room there is for setup error. An inch or two up-or-down can change things quite a bit, especially at speed. I am putting on the Putnam XDR class V. The XDR CLV is now rated at 15K weight carrying total, and 1500 tongue weight without EQ bars. 20K rated solid drawbar and raw, heat treated 24K rated big shank ball. The side plates on this hitch are very thick and go way forward on the frame which helps put the weight farther forward into the truck also. I'm going to use top quality bolts and area weld the damn thing to the truck frame. Overkill? maybe...but I'm going down the road w/confidence in the truck/trailer connection! I wish they offered the D-MAX with the 4.10 gear. Then with a taller than stock 265 tire you would be right at a 3.98 ratio...just a little lower than the standard 3.73, and be right on the money as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Rippem; 04-14-2004 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Registered

Default Re: looking for tow vehicle advise?

When I first got my 2001 Excursion Diesel, the 7.3 PSD pulled hard, but the suspension was mushy.

I wanted to point out in this thread , particularly for SRW drivers, that upgrading to stiffer shocks, and steering stabilizer and particularly an aftermarket Hellwig rear antiswaybar made a huge difference in the ride AND towing stability for way uder a grand.
I'm actually shocked that most trucks have no rear swaybar.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
I bought a Dodge 2500 HD extended cab V-10 4X4. It tows my 311-SR1 Formula and does not even know it's back there. BUT, the transmissions in them are chit. They have a problem with the "governor transducer" and the "solenoid" which when they crap out it prevents the trans from automatically shifting back into low gear when you come to a stop. You have to manually shift it down. When you first start to drive it, it will wind way up in rpms before shifting into second, sometimes taking 30 seconds before it will shift up into second. After doing extensive research on this problem, I have found that Dodge has had this problem since the body changeover back in 94'. Mine happened at 50,100 miles. Some have happened as early as 8,000 miles, most seem to happen between 50 and 60 thousand. This particular problem happens A LOT... Apparently, every three out of four, or four out of five, happen when the vehicle is out of warranty. A Dodge dealer usually gets around 600-700 bucks to repair them. And they make so much money off of the repairs, that they can afford to fix one out of four or five for free and still put bucks into their pocket. Since it has turned into a cash cow for them, they have intentionally never fixed the problem. I paid almost forty thousand dollars for my truck and was told "it could tow the earth". When I got through with my research, I screamed at the Service Manager so loud I was hoarse for two days. He offered me 10% off the repair bill because I'd bought two new trucks off them (99' as well). Told him to stick his 10% you know where. I'm looking to swap rigs within the next few months. I have heard nothing but good about the new Duramax's and the Allison trans. I personally would consider nothing else. I have a buddy who drives/tows for a living, has a Duramax with Allison, has already put almost 300 thousand miles on it, and only changed the oil and flushed the trans. He swears by it. I got a ride and could not believe how quiet that Duramax Diesel was. Made my mind up right then and there. I would definitely check that combination out, either Chev or GMC. If you get a Dodge, you WILL have tranny problems, guaranteed.
Russ,not to mention if the cooler line checkball sticks shut (and it OFTEN does) the transmission suffers catastrophic meltdown. Here are some pics of a gas model I did recently,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails looking for tow vehicle advise?-oil-lines-046.jpg   looking for tow vehicle advise?-oil-lines-049.jpg   looking for tow vehicle advise?-oil-lines-047.jpg  

Old 04-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Just saw the date on this thread,I guess it got dragged up from waaay back,Smitty
Old 12-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my second 6.0 ford and love them, I've had absolutely no complaints about either one of them, my cousin has the duramax/allison and again, no problems. The ford appears to be more of a truck as far as ride/drivability than the G.M., and if rear seat room is a factor, forget the G.M. but on the other hand, on road trips, the duramax got noticably better fuel mileage than either one of my fords. and was alot quieter.
I can't really comment on the dodge, never had any dealings with them, but their resale after a couple of years seems to be in the toilet compared to ford/GM.

Quick Reply: looking for tow vehicle advise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.