21.80%
Ford - 6.0
32.70%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

looking for tow vehicle advise?

Old 10-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 Ford 6.0 PSD and have not experienced any of the problems mentioned above (knock on wood). I tow a 35' Formula with it and the truck pulls great. I installed a Bullydog module and the results are staggering. The module has three settings, stock, +75hp and +115hp. In the "hot rod" setting, this thing is like a 8000 pound sports car (OK an 8000 pound sports car that handles and brakes like a 3/4 ton truck). I tow in the 75hp setting and have not been concerned with lack of power. My vote is for the Ford, however, I am a Ford guy.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford is the only choice I will go with unless I upgrade to a Freightliner. I like GM except their suspension and brakes can't hold a torch to Ford's. Dodge is a definite "NO"
I bought a brand new GM and had absolutely nothing but problems. More than we have room for here. Sold it bought a Ford 7.3TD 4x4 crew cab and have pulled just about everything out there with it. Getting ready to upgrade the exhaust and computer to handle the bigger boat. Wanted to start looking at the new Ford's but are waiting until they straighten out the engine problem with the diesel.

Just my .02 worth also.

Good hearing different owners opinions since we all own different trucks and pull different loads.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my 02 7.3 Liter Power Stroke, but got a chance to drive a new 6.0 pulling a 35 Fountain and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!

That new 6.0 is AWESOME.

The Duramax is nice, I just do not like the truck.

Drive everything and decide what is best for you.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I know , (and I sell diesel performance parts ) , the 04 Ford 6 litre is NOT fixed yet ! The 03's have tons of problems but I dont' think it is fixed yet for 04 . That is from my performance parts manufactuers.

I have had them all and do prefer Ford, But the Chevy (right now ) is the best bet . The new Dodges have some little problems like the throttle sticking at high speeds ! and a few others little things ....

Chevy has been out long enough to weed it out, I think .

I do have an 03 ford anyway ....... it idles rough but I still love it ! I usualy get a new one every year but I may wait now till 05 .

tesheer, That bully dog box has problems with it . Be careful . I just sent my last one back . And I do mean LAST ONE ! I used to sell them . Who ever sold it to you should know about it . Bully dog does ! I am not ,,,, Oh , never mind . Don't get me started !
Old 10-06-2003, 01:19 PM
Registered

We are getting our 03 Excursion with the 6.0 taken back under the lemon law. It has been a major POS!!! We will be ordering a Chevy with the Duramax and Allison.

Semper Fi is also having problems with his 6.0 that he bought a few weeks after ours. They should have stuck with the 7.3 until the 6.0 was right.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Registered

I own a 7.3, there geart motors, but would not purchase another Ford until they get all the bugs out of the 6.0. I have heard of nothing but problems with the new motor. I would definetly go Dura-Max over the new Power Stroke.

Havasu Cig - It was nice kind of meeting you this weekend, we should hook up down at the Yard House or something and run out in the pacific!!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Dock Holiday

The Duramax is nice, I just do not like the truck.
That is just because I towed your 36' Outlaw and I got better MPG than you did in your FERD!

AND...I GOT 18 MPG ALL THE WAY BACK HOME WHEN I DROPPED YOU OFF AT THE HOUSE W/THE BOAT!!

Last edited by Luv-N-It; 10-06-2003 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:18 PM
Registered

<<<<<<<one of these, get one of these!!!! 7.3,start with a 4" Turbo back Magnaflow, DI 4 pos flip chip, K&N, Say goodbye to them all at the light!!!! Next, Propane, Injectors, Mini Me, Intake mod,BB Turbo. Then Nitros!!!!! You now have 450hp w/1000lbs torque.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Boot, we have installed the Edge and Quadzilla in the 6.0s and found the Edge works real well. The Quadzilla boxes have had some problems, but the Edge has worked execptionally well. As Troutly said 9-29-03 was the first day the "New" engine was supposed to be built. A fair number of real late production 6.0s have still had the "dead pedal" and leaking rear main seals. It is too bad as when they run they are very impressive. Time will tell, as many are anxiously awaiting the new engine.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mitch,
All that work and only 450hp? Is that at the flywheel or at the rear wheels? If it's at the rear wheels it is impressive.
Read up a few posts, 2003 Ram with just a WD fueling box and a flow thru muffler made 380 at the rear wheels, which should be close to or a little more than 400 at the crank. Unfortunaltey the chassis dyno had a problem with some sensor so they couldn't get the torque. We are assuming around 800 ft/lbs.
We definitly have to hit the trails this year, I have absolutley no grounds for excuses this year. New sled and no girlfriend , Bring on the snow

Quick Reply: looking for tow vehicle advise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.