32.70%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

looking for tow vehicle advise?

Old 10-05-2003, 08:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for tow vehicle advise?

I want to buy a new 3/4 ton diesel truck, but which one?? I have heard both good and bad about all Three: Ford, Chevy and Dodge.
I thought I had my mind made up to buy a Ford until I heard the new 6.0 has allot of problems. I was hoping that some of my fellow OSO members can shed some light of these three different power packages.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that they have fixed a most of the problems with the 6.0 with an injector change over. Remember all three of those trucks if you go and look on line you will wonder if any of them are any good. I had some problems with mine when I first got it but as of late nock on wood it is fine (7.4 Power Stroke). I would go with the Ford as the few people that I know that have them are very happy.

Jon
Old 10-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Registered

I bought a Dodge 2500 HD extended cab V-10 4X4. It tows my 311-SR1 Formula and does not even know it's back there. BUT, the transmissions in them are chit. They have a problem with the "governor transducer" and the "solenoid" which when they crap out it prevents the trans from automatically shifting back into low gear when you come to a stop. You have to manually shift it down. When you first start to drive it, it will wind way up in rpms before shifting into second, sometimes taking 30 seconds before it will shift up into second. After doing extensive research on this problem, I have found that Dodge has had this problem since the body changeover back in 94'. Mine happened at 50,100 miles. Some have happened as early as 8,000 miles, most seem to happen between 50 and 60 thousand. This particular problem happens A LOT... Apparently, every three out of four, or four out of five, happen when the vehicle is out of warranty. A Dodge dealer usually gets around 600-700 bucks to repair them. And they make so much money off of the repairs, that they can afford to fix one out of four or five for free and still put bucks into their pocket. Since it has turned into a cash cow for them, they have intentionally never fixed the problem. I paid almost forty thousand dollars for my truck and was told "it could tow the earth". When I got through with my research, I screamed at the Service Manager so loud I was hoarse for two days. He offered me 10% off the repair bill because I'd bought two new trucks off them (99' as well). Told him to stick his 10% you know where. I'm looking to swap rigs within the next few months. I have heard nothing but good about the new Duramax's and the Allison trans. I personally would consider nothing else. I have a buddy who drives/tows for a living, has a Duramax with Allison, has already put almost 300 thousand miles on it, and only changed the oil and flushed the trans. He swears by it. I got a ride and could not believe how quiet that Duramax Diesel was. Made my mind up right then and there. I would definitely check that combination out, either Chev or GMC. If you get a Dodge, you WILL have tranny problems, guaranteed.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:55 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have seen to many tranny problems with the Dodge. Nice information about the DuraMax and Allison.
With that said, I would lean towards the GM products.
I am not brand loyal when it comes to vehicles. In fact, we own one each from the Big Three.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Registered

Hey RLW, are you a "Russ", I am. Outlaw
Old 10-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 7.3 PSD , but the Duramax/Allison combo is tough to beat right now .
I'm not convinced of the 6.0 Ford yet , time will tell
Old 10-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Registered

I have the 6.0 and love. It has the Allison trans with the Tow/Haul mode which will automatically downshift, and hold the gears longer before shifting. The Chevy has the same. I also have not experienced any of then problems with the motor, except a rough idle.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Registered

I love my 6.0 PSD 250. Bought it in June. Have about 6K miles and no problems. Great mileage and the acceleration is the balls. Stump pulling torque too.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I am having alot of problems with my 6.0 litre, its 2 mos old and has been nothing but problems. Motor has been reprogrammed, but still has hesitation problems when accelerating hard off line, rough spuratic idle at times. The latest problem is the rear end, when cold backing up out of the driveway when only turning the truck bucks, like its in 4whl drive, something to do with the clutches. A new rear end has been ordered. The tranny is ok but will know over time. Right now Im not 100% pleased, hopefully they can fix the problems cause the truck tows and has a little more room that the GMC it replaced, but powertrain wise GM has the clear advantage and I really miss my Duramax/Allison combination and wish they were in my Ford Truck.
Attached Thumbnails looking for tow vehicle advise?-dscf0004.jpg  

Last edited by JASSMAN; 10-05-2003 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Registered

Well a best freind owned a 2000 Dodge and had the BIG chip intake and exahust on it and when he got his new 2003 GMC stock would take the Dodge. And he uses them for towing a big car trailer. Rag's my .02 for what it is worth (0.02)

Quick Reply: looking for tow vehicle advise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.