Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Any Dodge Cummins heads around ? >

Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Notices

Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Old 03-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Been looking around on the diesel registry site. Great info. It seems that there are ALOT of lift pump failures. I gues my question should be is my lift pump starting to fail. Some owners find that their lift pump is failing by pressure readings alone. I do not have a pressure guage so maybe the higher rpm hesitation is from weak lift pump. I guess I should have it checked.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Registered

check your fuel filter , if it stoped up you will lose power. i'v got a 2003 dodgectd 6 speed and flat love it . also running 4/in pips with out a box the computer will cut boost , could be it . robbie
Old 03-10-2005, 06:29 AM
Registered

The pump may still be under warrantee if it is considered to be under the Cummins umbrella of parts. Ck with the dealer..Dwight
Old 03-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Whitey
Sounds like the lift pump is going. Ck out the Turbo Diesel Registry on a search and they will have all the answers to your problems. It is a great site for the turbo diesels. Dwight
I believe that is exactly the problem. The 98.5-2002 Cummins powered Rams had A major weak link in the lift pump. I would personally install a FASS fuel delivery system and you will never have any fuel problems again.

With a weak lift pump, the injection pump could be very quick to fail, and that = BIG MONEY.

www.turbodieselregister.com is a great source for information regarding your truck.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

its at the dealer now gettin a pyro, boost, and fuel pressure guage installed. i made them aware of the situationa and we'll see what they say. i wa stold that the psi's shoulkd be as follows..cranking psi 10-12 and idel psi 13-16 these figures are after the filter
Old 03-10-2005, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have them check the IAT module , which I believe is the speed sensor. After that , fuel filter, then lift pump. If the injection pump starts going you will get what is called the "dead pedal" . I've got the FASS on mine and hopefully won't have to worry about fuel delivery issues again.
The gear ratio is fine, the tallest one you could get was a 3:54 which is plenty.
Sound's like you've got some goodies to install. Keep some cash handy for the trans upgrades. When you intall that Edge Comp and hook the wire up , it will be a matter of time before the trans goes.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Lift pumps are a dime a dozen on those years. The dealer is the most expensive source. Cummins is second. The cheapest pumps will be found at...a Case dealer. Yea, Case uses Cummins engines in their tractors. Regarding the FASS system...I'm still trying to sort the chaff from the BS on that one. Just my opinion.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cord ,
I know what you mean , about the BS on the FASS. But as far as I was concerned it was an argument between the owner of FASS and his son who owns the Perforater which both do the same things. I just wanted a aftermarket pump that worked. As far as people saying the truck is faster or quieter, that is BS . It's just a pump. I've had friends use the Carter pusher pumps and they failed after a year or so and the lift pumps are a joke , even if they only cost $150 or so.
Why don't you care for the FASS ?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

lift pump from a dealer is 6-700, reman'd with exchange are 225, and i found a source for brand new ones at 195 no exchange...
Old 03-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
there are 2 pumps on these trucks...lift pump gets fuel to injection pump...the only reason the injection pumps go is fi the lift pump fails
The injection pump fails becuase it's a poor designed rotary pump. That pump is not one of Bousch's best. The 03 and up are way better. I've lost a lift pump and it defuels my Blue chip box but still ran fine as stock. The injection pump will run on as on as little of 5psi.

Buy gauges for pyro,boost and fuel psi. That will tell you everything you need to know, or a Bluechipdiesel.com Box.

I love mine for the last 70,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.