Arneson Drive on Velocity 22

Notices

Arneson Drive on Velocity 22

Old 04-24-2007, 02:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO Arneson

Originally Posted by jdcorbitt3
I am thinking of putting an Arneson drive on my Velocity 22. Has anybody done this yet?

John

I worked on the original 22' that Steve put an Arneson in/on.
I am also the one that got to fill in the transom for the SS/M 3 to replace it. DON'T DO IT!!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Arneson Drive, it just didn't work on the 22'er. In my time there, he never tried one again, I have no idea why.
Why don't you call Velocity and talk to Steve personally? He's very approachable and a really nice person.
Tell him Steve Bartus said to call him and I said "Hi" to him and family. Also tell him I said to quit that wussy golfing and get into a manly pursuit, like racing boats or something.
Call him, you can only benefit from it.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a 1981 Carrera 21 ft. Elite about ten years ago with a bbc and an Arneson ASD6 drive. I'm a swimming pool contractor and had been working on Arneson pool cleaners for years so when the boat came up for sale I had to have it. I still have the boat and the boat has had several motors but the drive has never been apart. A great package and you get the Arneson rooster tail. Your project sounds great, good luck. Doug
Old 04-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 920stjb
I worked on the original 22' that Steve put an Arneson in/on.
I am also the one that got to fill in the transom for the SS/M 3 to replace it. DON'T DO IT!!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Arneson Drive, it just didn't work on the 22'er. In my time there, he never tried one again, I have no idea why.
Why don't you call Velocity and talk to Steve personally? He's very approachable and a really nice person.
Tell him Steve Bartus said to call him and I said "Hi" to him and family. Also tell him I said to quit that wussy golfing and get into a manly pursuit, like racing boats or something.
Call him, you can only benefit from it.

How long ago was this?

If they, and I know they didn't, use our new ASD6 Kit the engine would have to be mounted too far forward for the CG of a small boat.

The only issue with such a small boat is balance and the engine placement is where the problem is.

I have 28' Velocity with the Arneson Kit and it hadles fine, docks easy, gets on plane easy and has good bow lift.

22 with to forward cg??
Old 04-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Registered

Default A-drive on a 22' V

Originally Posted by Rik
How long ago was this?

If they, and I know they didn't, use our new ASD6 Kit the engine would have to be mounted too far forward for the CG of a small boat.

The only issue with such a small boat is balance and the engine placement is where the problem is.

I have 28' Velocity with the Arneson Kit and it hadles fine, docks easy, gets on plane easy and has good bow lift.

22 with to forward cg??
I would guess about 1982ish. He had just pulled it out before I got there, and I just plain don't remember what the reason why was. I really should have been more info specific in my post, and I do apologize for making it sound as if I was knocking Arneson.

I do know that the engine hadn't been mounted too much more forward than the normal, because the hatch, bulkhead, gas tank and back seat hadn't been changed. (unless I'm forgetting that too???) I really don't think so.

As I said in my post, call Steve Stepp and ask him. He'll answer all your questions.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My Carrera does everything about as good as a boat can. Rik, you were in my boat with a 400 h.p. BBC about 10 years ago. My concern was it wasn't "fast" enough and Howard and yourself were kind enough to check the installation to determine if it was set up correctly. I was pretty green when it came to any performance boating. Howard stated that it needed more horsepower so I added a blower and the boat ran into the 90's. Like I stated , the motors have changed but the drive is built to last. Boating was sure easy and cheaper when the boats were smaller, now the Jaguar cat is another story. Doug
Old 04-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 180 Posts

Rik, how about more info on your 280 with arneson drive. what engine/hp etc. What gains if any did you see and what is a typical price for this type of conversion?

Thanks,
Old 04-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Registered

Question Velocity

I guess nobody has called Steve Stepp?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
Rik, how about more info on your 280 with arneson drive. what engine/hp etc. What gains if any did you see and what is a typical price for this type of conversion?

Thanks,
I think the boat is about 3 yrs old.

28' with a 1000-1200 hp engine

They're trying to get it to the Desert Storm Poker Run this weekend.

Short water test, gets on plane better than the Bravo customer says, easier to steer, and better acceleration. Ran up to 95 and no handling issues with great ride attitude he says.

No issues docking.

AI#7M Kit

Running a Hering 5 blade propeller. Don't know the specifics on it but I think it is a 32P. Customer thinks its too small.

Will know more after they tow for 13 hrs to get to Havasu.

This customer has EXPLODED everything off the back of the boat prior to this. BMAX, IMCO, TEAGUE, MAX Machine, etc.

Goal is 105-110.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Registered

Sounds great Rik, keep us informed of its progress
Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rik,
Is that a stock bottom 280? I thought i read somewhere that arnesons didn't work well on notched transoms. I would love to have one hanging off the back of my boat. (if cost werent an issue )

Quick Reply: Arneson Drive on Velocity 22

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.