New steering >

New steering

Notices

New steering

Old 09-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New steering

Well after suffering with cable steering for a few weeks (recently bought the boat) I went ahead and ordered a full hydraulic system to the helm. The parts arrrived from Zeigler yesterday and I finished the install tonight, about 6 hours total which included cutting all the lines to length and putting the fittings on. I think it could be done in 5 hours except the new helm didn't cover the hole in the dash from the original tilt helm so it was mod time.....I had some carbon fiber flat stock that we use for some of the custom bikes and cars we build that actually matched the switch plate so a little cutting and sanding and I had a new trim plate..here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails New steering-steering.jpg   New steering-helm.jpg  
Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New steering

Looks good TZ,

Now you need the maching carbon fiber dash panels.
Attached Thumbnails New steering-cimg0288.jpg  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Registered

I am going to need to do the same thing. On a 22 velocity with an arneson drive, should I use power steering or just manual hydraulic.

John
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 22 will benefit even greater from a full hydraulic setup. I've installed quite a few on Velocities. A hydraulic assist is only a quick fix for a worn gimbal and compromised cable. Running an Arneson you will want the response that the full hyd. system will give you given the leverage on a smaller hull. Sorry to sound like Bob Teague but I've been there.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Registered

Turnerrd
We make alot of carbon parts here at my shop so I'm going to make the rest of the dash etc. to match. Nice thing is it's real carbon.
As for the Hydraulic on a 22 I would definately do it. The feeling and control is like night and day
Old 09-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Registered

I agree.. went to full hyd this spring.. wow.. what a diff.

tzrider,
if you want to make another set of carbon parts for my dash I would be more then happy to donate some $$$$

let me know if you are interested
Old 09-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdcorbitt3
I am going to need to do the same thing. On a 22 velocity with an arneson drive, should I use power steering or just manual hydraulic.

John

You have no choice with an Arneson. You must use a full hydraulic power steering system. A p.s. pump on your engine must produce the pressure required to feed the helm unit and back to the Arneson steering cylinders.

A manual, or Capilano style helm will not work.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Registered

John
Sure I'd love to make a dash for ya..i can do it in standard carbon or with blue or red carbon. I also have some yellow material as well. I'd need to see your dash layout if it's different from mine..We can make anything you might want, below is a picture of the intake I made for my Cobra and one for a lightning

Paul
Attached Thumbnails New steering-cibratube3-large-web-view.jpg   New steering-90mmctube.jpg  

Last edited by tzrider; 09-20-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Registered

Paul,
Here is a pic of the dash.. Basically, I would like to replace the 2 that I have, plus, do 2 more.
One for the right side, where the Depth gauge is. I will be removing that gauge, and placing a 3 trim indicator there. so.. I just need a panel, no holes.

the 2nd piece, I am thinking right next to the switches. I would like to place 3 or 4 gauges next to the switches..

Could you match the black that I have? Do you need to redo the 2??

Let me know.. Would love to get this done.

John

P.S. Boat colors are Yellow and Purple
Attached Thumbnails New steering-dsc00755.jpg  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Registered

John
Because the panels you have now are "carbon look" I would need to make all new ones. If possible I would like to have your originals so I can make exact duplicates for you.

Paul
p.s feel free to call me at the shop..954-917-9200

Quick Reply: New steering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.