Stringer replacement >

Stringer replacement

Notices

Stringer replacement

Old 05-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stringer replacement

Recently had the transom replaced, Richie Sutphen did the work. Did an awesome job. After that, we found that we had some stringer issues. Cut the glass on the stringer and got a bath. It was totally filled with water. The plywood literally fell apart when I took the skin off.
Now to decide if I want to go with foam or back to wood?
Attached Thumbnails Stringer replacement-airshow-017.jpg   Stringer replacement-airshow-018.jpg  
Old 05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Vinny,
If I were you and Marty,I would re do them in wood.When I called Steve Stepp because I am redoing the transom on my 320 he said to go back together with wood.Why dont you call him and see what he tells you,I am finally on the put it back together stage now,what a pain in the butt this project has been.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

hmmm..I would say if the transom went and was redone, and the stringers in the back were / are that bad...I would be doing somemore exploritory surgery to see if anything else needs attenion...
Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Registered

I'm definately putting the wood back in. I just dont trust the foam core.I cant see it as having enough strength. But I will seal the crap out of the wood before it goes in. None of the wood in this boat seems like it was sealed at all. Plus the drain holes in the bulk heads were drilled about 2 1/2 inches off the bottom of the bilge, so the water never had a change to really drain out. That will be addressed also.
This is the 3rd transom that has been on this boat. From what I understand the first one was damaged when the previous owner hooked really hard. When the second one was installed it was a real sh!tty job. It wasnt sealed up good, lots of voids, which i think is one of the reasons that the stringer got soaked.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HYPER1
I am redoing the transom on my 320, what a pain in the butt this project has been.

And some wonder why I switched. Well, need to do the annual rocker adjustment and another coat of wax. Gotta love these low maintance brands.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 05-22-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm with nobody
Gold Member

Here's my work so far. Hope the link works. You may have to register to view the pics, only takes a minute and it's a great site.

http://www.greatlakesoffshore.com/gr...ead.php?t=1928

KRUM
Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh sh-t,i wonder what my 81 30 has??? tripps
Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
And some wonder why I switched. Well, need to do the annual rocker adjustment and another coat of wax. Gotta love these low maintance brands.
Ya Ya YA Peter,but when the transom was soft and if I disconnected 2 spark plug wires on each engine I could run circles arount that there beak boat,now that I have a solid transom what do ya think will happen.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Registered

Vin Man,I just finished the stringers to the transom and it is solid as a rock,I will e mail the pictures to you and Marty in a few days.Are you going to make it to Velocity Fest this year I told Marty if you were around we could take the old Hot Rod for a blast,let me know what your plans are.I think Mark Henderson is going to try and make the run if they do not race in Michigan.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge

Attached Thumbnails Stringer replacement-shit-fountain.jpg  

Quick Reply: Stringer replacement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.