Velocity 260-280 ?'s >

Velocity 260-280 ?'s

Notices

Velocity 260-280 ?'s

Old 02-19-2002, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velocity 260-280 ?'s

We just returned form our vacation to the Miami boat show. My better half fell in love with the Velocity's and gave me the thumbs up to look into puchasing in the next year. We are from MN so other than seeing them at boat shows I have no real world experince with Velocity. I have a few ?'s. I'm torn between the 260 and the 280. Has anyone rode in both and can attest if there is a big difference in ride. I will be boating on the Mississippi so I won't be in any huge water. What are you getting for true speeds from these boats? I've read alot on the web about Velocity and I know they are fast but I never trust a salesman. I was told the the 260 with a 496mag would run 75 and the 280 with a 496HO will run 75. If both these speeds are accurate I think I would lean twords a 260 simply based on price. Has anyone ordered new Where you happy with customer service and what you got for your money? Also where did you purchase yours? Can you buy direct from Velocity or do you have to buy from a dealer? Anyone with older ones. How do they hold up over the years. Any info would be great. Thanks Brian
Old 02-19-2002, 01:06 PM
Registered

I have a 200, 260 and am I very happy, espically with dealing with the factory Scott Mc the GM has been very helpful to me for problems or driving tips. As far as wich one the advatage of the 280 is a little sink and some storage space. I like my 260 but wish I had little more storage space. As far as speed got my 260 with only the 7.4mpi310hp, up to 67 this summer. Unfortunatly my dealer I bought mine through was not very good(I deal directly with Velocity now). Basically if you are just boating during the day and no overnights go 260 if you want some more space go 280. As far as strenght mine has been in some of the 4-6footers on lake superior and held together just fine.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 180 Posts

I have a 1998 Velocity 280 which I purchased new in 1998. I love the boat but have never driven the 260. It has a 502 mag with lightning headers. Speed, GPS not speedo is 73 mph with light load and some chop. Normaly can get a good solid 71 0r 72 with normal load. With equalpower and equal size you will not find a faster boat, it also has a deeper coakpit and roomier coakpit then most of the competition.

I bought it from Eyerock Marine in Binghamton, NY. Great guys and straight shooters.

Good luck,
Old 02-19-2002, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 180 Posts

I forgot...Eyerock has a web site.

www.eyerockmarine.com
Old 02-19-2002, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I think you'll be very happy with the Velocity 260 or 280. The 260 will be slightly faster with the same power but will have a little less comfortable ride. I think 70-72MPH for the 260 with a 496 is a more reasonable speed then 75. The Velocities hold up very well provide they're cared for and not "regularly" abused.

Perhaps one of the nicest things about Velocity is how approachable and nice the Stepps are. You'll enjoy doing business with them. Scott is a very good guy as well - not to mention quite entertaining! Good luck and I'm sure you'll be very pleased with either the 260 or 280.

Rick
Old 02-19-2002, 03:12 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input. I do mostly day boating. Only a couple overnighters. What do you mean by "regualy" abused? I have a lake boat now that I drive like an offshore boat. I don't want an offshore boat that I have to drive like a lake boat. I run with Baja, Fountains, Formulas and a Pantera. We do encouter alot of wakes off cuisers. That's why we run big boats(well I'm trying to get there). We generally run 60 or better and aren't affraid to pound our boats. I've read the posts on problems with Velocitys strenght. Is this something I should worry about? I want a boat that will hold together. Granted we're only talking about 3-4 foot wakes. And the mojoritly of the time I try to avoid it as much as possible. The normal river conditions will only produce 1-2 foot chop, I don't think there is anything to worry about there. I've been trying to go to Velocity's web site but it doesn't work. Anyone know if its down or has changed? Thanks for all the input? Brian
Old 02-19-2002, 04:29 PM
Registered

You wont have a problem with cruiser wakes. I got bored one day while following my dad's 50'carver. So I jumped his wake 3 or 4 times.
http://www.angelfire.com/celeb2/pete...s/wakejump.jpg
Not to mention I have taken my boat in 3-4ft seas for fun. Now the day I was running in 5-6ft was not as fun. If they boats can handle great lakes should hanlde cruiser wakes no problem.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:05 AM
Registered

Right on. If your not afraid to run one on the great lakes. Then I have nothing to worry about. Have any of you finaced through Velocity? Unfortunatly I won't be ina possition to buy untill next winter. It's going to be hard to wait a full season. I might look into buying used to keep the price down. Where there any problem years. I'd realy only like to go 4 years old or newer. Again thanks. Brian
Old 02-20-2002, 02:48 PM
Registered

My boat was a demo from a dealer that was not taking care off very well and did not get any history service records with the boat. I had a few little problems but all were solved by just calling the factory.
As far as deal lots dealer closeouts if you do some searches online or sometimes the factory has some repo's from dealers.Things I wish mine had you might want to look into to better controls(throttle&gear) the stock merc's are ok but velocity is updating with bettter stuff in all 2001 and up boats. Prop mine came with a hydromotive good but hard to get onto plane with. I just bought a new Bravo from Scott M at the factory specifically labed for the velocity. Also the newer merc engines have a oil drain hose built in for changing oil( big+) I installed a aftermarkett change system to save the halse. Sorry for the Long Post
Old 02-21-2002, 10:00 AM
Registered

All this info is great.

Velocity 260
You said you could get 67 with a 310hp is that on the speedo or is that a radar or GPS speed. I've seen alot of good deals on 260's with 310hp's. Thats a littel slower than I'd like. My majic number is 75 sometime the price is more important.

Does anyone have the electric bolsters? I've only seen the manual ones. I really like there bolsters and I was wondering how the electrics compared.

Quick Reply: Velocity 260-280 ?'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.