Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
2003 26 Velocity For Sale >

2003 26 Velocity For Sale

Notices

2003 26 Velocity For Sale

Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a chance to crawl underneith the boat yesterday. As the pitting on the upper unit (which I was aware of) showed the boat was left in the water at one point. The bottom of the boat is loaded with barnicle remains.... They are caked on there pretty good. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the bottom side of the hull, except for one small gel coat chip up towards the front (simple repair)

I am going to have the marina put it up on block for me so I can start scraping the bottom.... Any advice on how to loosen the barnicle remains?

Guess that's what I get for buying sight unseen.. But at $18,000 a little elbow greese is to be expected.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pressure washer only. It may take some time but it wont scratch the gelcoat.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plastic putty knife and lots of water; hot water if possible. Hot water through a pressurewasher is best. Stay away from acid washes like Marykate because they will turn the bottom yellow.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Registered

Pulled the shrink wrap off today... Here is the good and the bad. As with any boat purchased without survery and sight unseen the will be some issues not disclosed.. Here is what I have found today.

Good:
Seat Vinyl, although discolored is still soft and plyable. There is no cracking or tearing so some vinyl dye should have them looking very good.
The Cabin is in really good shape, just needs the average cleaning.
Cockpit cover is in much better shape than it was described, but I am putting a full length cover on it anyway.
It fires right up and all gauges work correctly.

The Bad:
The floor looks like crap, but I plan to put carpet in anyway.
The Hull has a small amount of dock rash, but since the boat is all white it isn't noticable until right on top of it.
The rub rail has a slight bend in it on the left side of boat.
One of the Outdrive trim cylinder hoses is cracked and leaking.
The white powder coating is coming off of the seat boltsters
Looks like on of the poles on the drivers bolster is bent slightly, which caused some of the powdercoat to flake off.
There is WAY TOO MUCH play in the steering wheel... It appears to be in the housing behind the dash, not in the OD. ANy Ideas??

Overall I am please, given the price I paid.

Last edited by low_psi; 03-07-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Registered

If the steering is hydraulic the system may need bleeding.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered

Well, from what I can tell so far the cable is junk. It is hard as hell to turn. SO I am going to replace the cable first. Then we will see if the helm unit is junk or not....
Old 03-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Registered

As seen in the first pics of this thread, the tops of the seats were looking pretty rough. I spent about 30 min to clean the passenger seat with some thinner (which removed a majority of the crap that was on the seat. Once cleaned it looked pretty good, but not to my liking. So after a few coats of vinyl dye it looks almost like new....

Last edited by low_psi; 03-08-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Registered

When the boat was delivered it was HEAVILY Oxidized.... If you can see heavy oxidation on white paint, you know its bad... I swear the previous owner must have hit every dock. There was not a spot on the rub rail that had not hit something. Anyway. After busting my butt over the last 2 days (I have to take it somewhat easy as I am not even 1 year into recovery from back surgery) I was able to get it polished up pretty good. Using some elbow grease I was able to remove most of the rash on the rub rail as well. And, yes I know, the Velocity Sticker on the front is missing. Its a work in progress.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Registered

you said you cleaned your seats with mineral spirits. how did that work out, i never heard anybody use that on vinyl. thats is a great boat i have the same one. mine is all white with no graphics aswell. congrats i think you did pretty good with that they are a lot of fun
Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SAMDAHL76
you said you cleaned your seats with mineral spirits. how did that work out, i never heard anybody use that on vinyl. thats is a great boat i have the same one. mine is all white with no graphics aswell. congrats i think you did pretty good with that they are a lot of fun
Basically I used the mineral spirits to remove the crud that was on top of the vinyl. I would NOT suggest using Mineral spirits to clean vinyl unless it is heavily damaged like my seats were. As it also removed the color, but the color was shot on mine anyway. I had to be very carefull to not damage the vinyl. In order to use the Vinyl Dye and have it last the vinyl surface has to be very clean to allow the dye to penetrate. Otherwise it will just sit on top like paint, and will wear off, crack, etc.

So far so good. I will be pulling the seats out this week. This will allow better access.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.