StillCrazy Velocity...Resurrected >

StillCrazy Velocity...Resurrected

Notices

StillCrazy Velocity...Resurrected

Old 02-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by kpoppa
I Just got a call from Mike that the first base coat of white is going on!
Pics.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

Once done where will the boat be? Ohio?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm working on uploading the pics from the past couple weeks now, so I should have a new post later today showing the progress.

As far as I know the boat race team was not connected to the car race team above, but it would be interested to find out how they came up with the name too.

When the boat is completed it will be in Naples, Florida. We do hope to travel around with it however and run in various poker runs throughout the country.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered

Sorry for the delay in updating the thread, I've had to kick off two projects at work and then Mike and I have been working every weekend on the boat. Not enough time

It's hard to explain to other people how much work goes into restoring and prepping an old boat for paint. It seems like Mike and I have been sanding for months! The guys at Guardado Marine have been hard at it with us, doing all the detail work, directing us what to do next and we keep plugging along. The rewarding part is that every minute we spend sanding is a minute closer to us getting the boat done.

Here's some pictures of the progress from the past month...

The deck had a lot of spider cracking, so Eddie's glass guy Hermes ground out all the areas and re-glassed them, then faired it all back out so it looked like new:

Mike and Cesar masking the engine hatches in preparation for high-build primer:

The boat masked to spray the deck and dash with high-build primer:

Eddie shooting the hatches with primer:

They already look better

Eddie shooting the deck:

Cesar teaching us how to mix the primer and set up the gun:

My trailer tire that just exploded while sitting in the shop. I'm so glad this didn't happen while pulling down the highway! I went and bought four new tires the next weekend.

Deck Primed!

The next weekend, the sides were done as well and ready for us to get out the sanders once again...

We wiped the whole boat down with dye and went at it. Here's Mike with the side flat-boarded, still has to do the edges by hand:

I thought this was cool, graphics gone and yet they're still showing up...that is until the flat board gets to them

Last edited by StillCrazy J&M; 02-07-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 02-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered

Then last weekend we showed up and found out Hermes had worked like a madman on the engine room and smoothed out the very rough glass to give it a slightly more finished look

Eddies other guys had been able to sand most of the deck and 1/2 of one side with 320 in prep for paint, so that's where we took over.

Knowing how close we were to seeing actual finish paint on the boat, Mike and I worked like crazy with Jason from Eddie's shop to finish the 320 sanding.

We got one of the scoops done with 320 and final prepped the trailer fenders, then masked the boat to shoot the sides white!

After priming the boat again, Jason shot the fenders:

Then Jason shot the white while Cesar worked with Mike and me on shooting the fenders blue...our first glimpse of the most important color on our boat

We were like kids in a candy store when we came back out to check out the white. The boat looked amazing.

3 coats later and she was looking pretty good!

After 3 coats of blue, we moved the fenders back out by the boat and the boss came out to shoot the clear

I'd say that the blue came out pretty good! Can't wait to see it on the boat.

That's all the progress pics for now. Mike, our cousin Chris and one of Mike's friends are over at Eddie's today working again. They hope to have the deck, hatches and transom shot white today.

Last edited by StillCrazy J&M; 02-07-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Registered

We are all working like heck to get the paint done as one way or another we're planning on taking the boat to the Miami boat show where it will be on display in the Velocity booth. Hopefully this week goes well! If any of you are going to be at the show we'd love to meet you so stop on by and introduce yourselves. Mike and I are going to try to make it as well to the OSO party so hopefully we'll meet some of you there as well We had hoped to have been further along by the show as Steve Stepp and I have been working hard to assemble all the other miscellaneous parts, guages, drives, etc....but there just isn't enough time to finish it all with the prep work needed to give the boat the paint job it deserves. We'll see how the paint goes this week so everybody can hopefully see the StillCrazy name come back to life at least!

A huge thanks goes out to Eddie, Cesar and their crew at Guardado Marine for doing everything they can to help us, teach us and get the boat done!

Last edited by StillCrazy J&M; 02-07-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StillCrazy J&M
We are all working like heck to get the paint done as one way or another we're planning on taking the boat to the Miami boat show where it will be on display in the Velocity booth. Hopefully this week goes well! If any of you are going to be at the show we'd love to meet you so stop on by and introduce yourselves. Mike and I are going to try to make it as well to the OSO party so hopefully we'll meet some of you there as well We had hoped to have been further along by the show as Steve Stepp and I have been working hard to assemble all the other miscellaneous parts, guages, drives, etc....but there just isn't enough time to finish it all with the prep work needed to give the boat the paint job it deserves. We'll see how the paint goes this week so everybody can hopefully see the StillCrazy name come back to life at least!

A huge thanks goes out to Eddie, Cesar and their crew at Guardado Marine for doing everything they can to help us, teach us and get the boat done!
That would be great to see it up close at the show. Kudos to Guardado and his staff for helping you guys with the project and not only letting you use his place, showing you how to get it done right and helping along. That's says alot about a person.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lowblue320
That would be great to see it up close at the show. Kudos to Guardado and his staff for helping you guys with the project and not only letting you use his place, showing you how to get it done right and helping along. That's says alot about a person.
You've got that right, Eddie and Cesar are first class.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StillCrazy J&M
You've got that right, Eddie and Cesar are first class.
Jason - Mike,

She is looking great, its all coming together nicely.
Am sure it will be a big hit at the Miami Show.
I raced a 30 Velocity in the early 80s out of NJ. so I know how good they can run and how great Still Crazy ran back in the day.

Its great to see Ediie, Cesar and crew there helping and working with you. along with teaching you.
First class is right,
Great going To all

Thank you
Jim
Old 02-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this whole thread and what a great story! I cannot wait to see the finished project! I am from Columbus, Ohio and if you ever decide to bring the boat this way please let me know! I would love to see it in person and have connections to a nice big heated barn where you could store it or work on it. Way to go guys and keep up the good work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.