Shorties on a 390? >

Shorties on a 390?

Notices

Shorties on a 390?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorties on a 390?

I have a 2006 velocity with staggered 525's and stock Xr drives. Has anyone put lower units on this particular size velocity? If so what size shorty and what size prop did you run with the shorty lower?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tamcmanus
I have a 2006 velocity with staggered 525's and stock Xr drives. Has anyone put lower units on this particular size velocity? If so what size shorty and what size prop did you run with the shorty lower?
I believe the one they just built with 565's has -2's on it. Best person to ask though is Steve or Kenny at the factory. Did you buy the one out of Lousiana with the real low hours?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

By all means call the factory first as it may already have a high x on that boat. Are you currently running 4 or 5 blade props? My friend had a 2006 (non-staggered) that used standard length drives but was set up so high that it needed 5 blades to plane off!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:01 PM
sl
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a side by side 39 with high x -dimension. Currently using -2" shorties with worked Maximus. Could not get it on plan with 4 blades
Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Registered

I bought the skulls and flames velocity from Kenny at velocity. Boat currently has 6 blade 31 pitch props on it, best I had was 84 last summer. Gonna chart the rpm, speed, and drive depth and give those to Steve at velocity to get the x dimension, and yes he said he could tell me what shorty to put on it. Just trying to see if anyone else has played with this set up yet.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tamcmanus
I bought the skulls and flames velocity from Kenny at velocity. Boat currently has 6 blade 31 pitch props on it, best I had was 84 last summer. Gonna chart the rpm, speed, and drive depth and give those to Steve at velocity to get the x dimension, and yes he said he could tell me what shorty to put on it. Just trying to see if anyone else has played with this set up yet.
Hate to ask but are your 525's healthy as 84 seems low unless someone really changed the factory set-up for the boat. As I recall this boat had the Bravo ITS set-up and threw a nice tail?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Registered

My 525's are very healthy, low hours, the boat is set up with merc Xr drives not ITS's.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Registered

Something is wrong! All my 390,s with 500 ran that fast (86 mph). My stg.390 with 500 efi,s that made 565 hp 600 ft torque not stk. ran 91 mph.with a real high x.I sold it after hurricane Charley kicked my ass never got it fully set up. I ran your boat when it was new it ran 92 mph if I remember wright. It was at the Sarasota poker run when the owner took del. I out run Dick Farmer in his 41 with 572,s Then Steve Stepp broke it after that. A coupler I think.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Registered

Yup - that's the boat I remember and I knew it ran around 90 when I saw it at the 2006 Sarasota Poker Run. ITS is the integrated transom assembly which the XR's are mounted to. I bet your x is pretty high already. Std side by side 390's only need -1". Which 4 blades did you try - Hydros? They require some "technique" to get a 390 on plane - Bravo's are much easier. You'll pick up some speed running hydros but not 6 MPH. As Tom said - something is not right.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Registered

Have not tried any 4 blades yet. Still have not had a chance to get out and run it out without the wife and kids. Also does anyone know if there is a kit to hook up water psi gauges on merc 525s? The hoses to my gauges are in the starboard gunnel, I hear conflicting installation locations. One friend of mine says to drill and tap each sea strainer and install a fitting and hook up the hoses. My marina owner says no, due to suction at strainer and that merc makes a kit to install them. The water psi gauges have not been hooked up since day one. I test drove it in fla., they did not work. I had Kenny at velocity install sea strainers prior to shipping the boat to n.j., they were supposed to hook them up, they did not. So here I am, if there is a kit, and or if anyone knows the fix please post. Thanx tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.