what power is needed to get a 260 Velocity to 85MPH >

what power is needed to get a 260 Velocity to 85MPH

Notices

what power is needed to get a 260 Velocity to 85MPH

Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
How is the chine walking? When I hit 85 the boat gets real light and likes to chine walk pretty good. I hit something late last season and had to have the drive rebuilt again. I had BBlades lab the prop and add some pitch to the B1 28P along with some cup for better bite. I just finished breaking in the drive and will be changing to NEO oil for some serious testing.
Mine chine walked stock at about 70, with big power it would drive straight through it with no problems.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Well, I hit something and twisted the vertical and prop shafts which of course cracked the gears. Didn't realize the extent of the damage when it happened, checked the prop immediately and no signs of impact at all. It was just a slight thud doing about 45, anyway the drive totally disintegrated the following weekend. So last year was pretty well shot. Had to spend most of this season breaking in the drive again. When I took the prop off I did discover one blade was off about .100" so I sent it to BBlades to fix and had them make some changes while they had it. They did a mild lab with an increase in pitch and added some cup. I think I wrecked a good prop, on flat water it porpoises like crazy and chines walks something terrible at 65. I learned that the slightest change in a prop can have drastic results on handling. I have a Hydromotive 4 blade that was a 26P and had it factory modified to a 27P that would run great at 80. The B1 4 blade 30P ran great to 90, wished I would have kept that one. Back to the drawing board on props, sending my labbed prop back to BBlades and hope they can fix it
Old 09-26-2017, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have NEVER broken in a drive. Heck I don't even break in an engine - much -
The only time a broke a
Bravo drive it was a defect in the vertical shaft. It broke clean right above the lower bearing. There weren't even any metal shavings.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

It was a complete rebuild from All American Drive and they give a 24 month warranty if you follow their procedure, even with my horsepower.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Once I did bigger power I never had a chine walk problem anymore simple accelerated out of it if there was any and it stood right up. I only had any chine walk when in the 70's was WOT, once I had the power it went away when I would sit it up on the pad.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 603 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by 260Velocity
This is a 26 foot boat. I found this on the I Net about Steve's take over when he left Regal boats.

In 1989, Steve started Thoroughbred Powerboats, which consisted of 3 models: 26- foot Summer Squall, 35- foot Majestic Prince, and 41- foot Bold Ruler; it was Kim’s idea to name the boats after legendary thoroughbred horses. Four years later, Steve regained control of what he started years ago- Velocity.
By 1996, Thoroughbreds were phased out and Velocity was bigger and stronger than ever.

What RPM do you turn with that prop ? I was only running a B1 26
What does a 35 look like? Never heard of that one.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 370 Likes on 196 Posts

There was one at the Battleship Run this year. Reminded me very much of a 390. Hopefully Revelocity will post as I know he is more familiar with the 35.

padraig
Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
There was one at the Battleship Run this year. Reminded me very much of a 390. Hopefully Revelocity will post as I know he is more familiar with the 35.

padraig
Actually there are two variants. The Thoroughbred 35 was a shortened Thoroughbred 41 hull and deck (i.e. deep free board) whereas the one we saw at the Battleship Run (the first Ilmor V-10 powered Velocity!) was marketed as a Velocity 360 (36') based on a shortened Velocity 390 as you correctly pointed out. I believe that there were less than 5 built of either the 35 or 36.