Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Any Velocity 260 Owners Interested In Mod's ???? >

Any Velocity 260 Owners Interested In Mod's ????

Notices

Any Velocity 260 Owners Interested In Mod's ????

Old 11-18-2015, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had a SeaStar hydraulic steering system on my 21' Tunnel Hull O/Board boat and liked it as well. I think for my needs it's the best bang for the $$$ spent to go "FULL HYDRAULIC" in a neat clean package.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely agree.
Originally Posted by 90profx
I also had a SeaStar hydraulic steering system on my 21' Tunnel Hull O/Board boat and liked it as well. I think for my needs it's the best bang for the $$$ spent to go "FULL HYDRAULIC" in a neat clean package.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 180 Posts

I am not familiar with the Sea Star system so I am trying to educate myself not start s**t. What is the downside to the Sea Star? Why aren't the manufacturer's using them with IOs?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:29 AM
Registered

OEM's like to design their own stuff or contract other suppliers. As for SeaStar products, I think there mostly into DIY users, that's why you may not see any affiliation with the OEM's. I've used their products for years and it's great stuff the design and build. I'll be posting the progress on the steering probably after the holidays as all the parts are currently in route and won't have it all till 11/23, so after Thanksgiving the install begins.......

After cutting through about 50+ Ty-Raps, spent the rest of the day yesterday trying to pull out the Ride Guide cable, what a P.I.T.A. that was, actually had to get out my cut-off wheel and short section the cable for easier handling during removal.Did get the Rotary Helm out too, what a crappy design that was as well, no wonder it had a ton of slop in it, plastic bushings that were totally worn thru adding to the clearances between the gears=SLOP !!!!! Good riddance to cable systems..........

Happy Thanksgiving all.......................

Last edited by 90profx; 11-20-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

First of all good luck with this modification. I think one of the steering providers (IMCO/Mayfair/Latham) also offers an inside ram kit just can't remember which one. Are you going to try and incorporate your power steering pump to help with the turning effort? it's night and day on my boats whether the engine is running or not!
Old 11-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Registered

Yes, the OEM power assist is still a part of this steering upgrade.

Update to modifications so far:

New center swim platform bracket:

New long style Hardin exhaust tips:

Two Kicker Comp 10" subs:

New onboard charger:

Old Rotary Helm removed and new SeaStar 2.4 Hyd Helm going in. Made a 3/8" thick aluminum support/trim plate to mount it all on:

Old 11-20-2015, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, I've subscribed to this thread!
OEM's like to design their own stuff or contract other suppliers. As for SeaStar products, I think there mostly into DIY users, that's why you may not see any affiliation with the OEM's. I've used their products for years and it's great stuff the design and build. I'll be posting the progress on the steering probably after the holidays as all the parts are currently in route and won't have it all till 11/23, so after Thanksgiving the install begins.......

After cutting through about 50+ Ty-Raps, spent the rest of the day yesterday trying to pull out the Ride Guide cable, what a P.I.T.A. that was, actually had to get out my cut-off wheel and short section the cable for easier handling during removal.Did get the Rotary Helm out too, what a crappy design that was as well, no wonder it had a ton of slop in it, plastic bushings that were totally worn thru adding to the clearances between the gears=SLOP !!!!! Good riddance to cable systems..........

Happy Thanksgiving all.......................
Old 11-21-2015, 03:52 AM
Registered

Stay tuned, it's gonna be a long winter and lots of things to do......
Old 11-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

In your original post you mention that you want to put some new side decals on. Mine came with regular decals and I replaced them with what they were putting on the newer boats. They look much nicer.
I kinda like those longer tips.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:39 AM
Registered

Those decals are like 3D because they have height/depth. They look, classy.......... real nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.