Simrek Halo and 496 alum manifolds added >

Simrek Halo and 496 alum manifolds added

Notices

Simrek Halo and 496 alum manifolds added

Old 03-20-2016, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Simrek Halo and 496 alum manifolds added

Installed my Halo max this weekend. The mounting bolts that attach the wing plates to the Bravo upper are in the way to mount the top left bolt for the shower. The supplied 3/8-16 3" bolt is not long enough. I had to buy a 3.5" bolt to clear. This spaces the shower back a tad farther, but nothing rubs or hits. Can't wait to try it out. Last summer running with no shower, I had bad white chalking buildup on the upper even though the oil came out looking new.*

I also added a set of Mercury 496 aluminum exhaust manifolds to replace my cast iron models. In doing so, dropped 66lbs off the stern.
Had to paint them to match the VR1's interior. Just need to wash and wax and we're ready to hit the water.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same Shower I've got, wonder if any effective cooling data is available between this design and the bolt to top cap shower, it would be interesting to see comparative numbers. Nice detail work by the way....
Old 03-21-2016, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 90profx
Same Shower I've got, wonder if any effective cooling data is available between this design and the bolt to top cap shower, it would be interesting to see comparative numbers. Nice detail work by the way....
Simrek sold me on their no drill cavitation plate send the fact they don't target the thick top cap. I would think anything is better than nothing but IMO you can't beat the Halo. Would love to see a back to back comparison.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give me a call
(352) 729-3093
Simrek Corporation
Chuck
Old 04-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I ended up going with the Hardin sport tech drive showers as the Halo's won't clear Marine Machine steering brackets. Just installed them today. Was getting chalk on the top of the drives and the oil smelled like crap, especially on the port drive. I am fully expecting to blow that drive quickly this year. As you said, anything has to be better than nothing at this point.

Your engine compartment looks great!
Old 04-29-2016, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi matt
I ended up going with the Hardin sport tech drive showers as the Halo's won't clear Marine Machine steering brackets. Just installed them today. Was getting chalk on the top of the drives and the oil smelled like crap, especially on the port drive. I am fully expecting to blow that drive quickly this year. As you said, anything has to be better than nothing at this point.

Your engine compartment looks great!
I was looking at those also before I read about the Simrek. Thanks for the compliments Matt, it's really hard to make the 496 look good. I bet you can't wait to get out on the water and test the new setup! Please keep me updated on how the new package performs as I am really contemplating adding it this fall. The Devil Inside just keeps telling me to pull the motor and put the 600 kit on.