Inner drive plate >

Inner drive plate

Notices

Inner drive plate

Old 05-22-2019, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Inner drive plate

So I was getting our new to us 2006 290sc cleaned up and noticed something strange in the bilge...it was the bottom inch on the inner transoms plate. If anyone happens to have one kicking around, lemme know...looks like I'm pulling the motor before I even get to run it!
Old 05-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Got a picture of the piece ?

May NOT even matter..
Old 05-23-2019, 12:20 PM
Registered

Old 05-23-2019, 12:23 PM
Registered

I guess at this point I'm most concerned about why it broke off..
Old 05-24-2019, 09:07 AM
Registered

So according to Scott McCormick they were only using Coosa board in the transoms of the vr1 and 290sc's. That picture sure looks like wood to me but i have never seen Coosa board before, anyone have a comparison??
Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

VR1's are Coosa. 290 Sc's are wood.. I HAVE a 290sc..

Looks to me like the nuts were overtightened.. Doesn't look like the transom is wet from the pictures...
Old 05-24-2019, 12:13 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Mentioned this on your FB post as you asked there first and you agree with my answer hopefully. ( overtighten ). As i said Someone tighten the crap out the nuts and it broke after the fact. There is specific tightening torque for the inner transom nuts plus the pattern sequence.. IMO thats surely looks like a wood transom and prob leaking water in at the bottom section thru - with that said in the past someone tighten the nuts up super tight trying to stop the water from leaking thru. Past owenr and many will do this cause the transom has some rot or however the water is leaking thru. ie lost the transom seal however.

. A good boat pre purchase inspection would have found this in a heartbeat or least I know I would have cause many boats including Velocitys with wood transom are very prone to wood rot. I know the last 5 velocitys 280 s especially all had transom rot in some shape and form. I understand yours is not a 280 but still is a velocity with a wood transom. They are weak in that area

I would check for rot in the very lower transom section as it looks to be in the pics water coming thru. not uncommon for velocitys with wood transoms to have rot.

Your whole bilge and transom has alot of mold and dark spots thats from moisture as well.

Last edited by BUP; 05-24-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:22 AM
Registered

Alright folks, so drilled a few test holes in the transom. All dry, so things are looking up. I found both of the rear engine mounts loose and the port side mount alignment nut backed down. ALSO found the transom plate nuts were all under torque spec, so I think it's safe to say, cause found. I'm hoping to pull the motor this week, new plate should be here. Planning on doing the impeller while it's out, does anyone know if it's a single or double flat so I can get it ordered? Anything else I should do while the engine is out of the boat other then cleaning the bilge?? Hoping to have the engine out and back in, in one day. Oh yeah, need to fill the test holes too!
Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

While the engine is out take care of few things when you have the easy access. Install new trim lines from the pump to the drive. Consider installing new bilge pump and float switch. Inspect your drive coupler. It sounds like you have adjustable front engine mounts opposed to fixed, through-bolt offshore mounts? If so you may want to consider upgrading your adjustable mounts - see https://www.eddiemarine.com/shop/eng...d-bellhousings. Offshore mounts are the way to go but that's a time consuming project by itself! I'd also recommend painting your bilge and let dry overnight. Install the motor the next morning when you're fresh! Lastly remember to have an engine/drive alignment tool ready. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:26 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

and have glass shop check the transom out. Possible the center section UNDER the inner transom plate just above the drain hole might be soft and when a transom gets soft the nuts become loose aka under torque

So you drilled that area for wood content inspection ? Not that easy to get a drill in that area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.