Velocity 30: Drive height, single engine conversion >

Velocity 30: Drive height, single engine conversion

Notices

Velocity 30: Drive height, single engine conversion

Old 01-18-2023, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Velocity 30: Drive height, single engine conversion

Does anyone here know what drive height this hull should have if converted into a single engine driveline? (Current outdrive is a regular Bravo One, but I'm open to suggestions/advice!)

I'm thinking about buying a 30' Regal Velocity. The problem is that there's only one within a 4000 mile radius... Europe

The boat in question has been f... up completely by some moron who raised the outdrive (yes the single outdrive, since it was converted to a single engine boat...) compared to the position of the twin original outdrive positions! (I'm not kidding: the single outdrive is now higher up than the original outdrives. Not compared to the bottom, but in total, so the propeller ended up completely behind the transom... Needless to say, the boat doesn't perform too well...

I know for a fact that people have converted these hulls to single engine setups. I also know that big single hull boats (like Pantera 28, Cigarette 28 SS, etc) usually need to have the outdrive mounted with the propshaft at least 7" below the bottom. However, these hulls do have a short notch and they are light in their layup....so where should the outdrive be mounted to optimize the performance of the hull in a single engine setup?

Anyone who knows anyone with first hand experience, or has a friend who does? ...or a picture? Hoping for advice, since I really like the boat.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 328 Likes on 183 Posts

Velocity built a single engine 32 with a 700 hp engine for someone on OSO. I can't remember his name. It was for sale a while back. If he doesn't chime in... Contact the factory.

Padraig

Last edited by Padraig; 01-18-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig
Velocity built a single engine 32 with a 700 hp engine for someone on OSO. I can't remember his name. It was for sale a while back. If he dosent chime in... Contact the factory. Padraig
Thanks! Let's hope he chimes in then!
Old 01-19-2023, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

As Padraig said it's probably best to contact the Velocity Factory directly as they have the best set up experience. How far is your prop shaft (when at neutral trim ) under the hull pad? Place a straightedge on the pad extended out to the prop shaft and measure the space between the top of the straightedge and the center of the prop shaft. That will be the first question the factory will ask you! 7" under will be too much as Velocity's notch transom allows a much higher prop shaft. As an example, I "believe" that the Velocity 26' hull's prop shaft is set up approximately around 2.5" below the pad. Equally important - what kind of propeller are you using? You will need a lot of propeller blade area to plane off a 30' hull using only one propeller! The 700 HP single engine boat Padraig was referring used the NXT drive and Speed Master props so it would not be directly comparable.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Revelocity
As Padraig said it's probably best to contact the Velocity Factory directly as they have the best set up experience. How far is your prop shaft (when at neutral trim ) under the hull pad? Place a straightedge on the pad extended out to the prop shaft and measure the space between the top of the straightedge and the center of the prop shaft. That will be the first question the factory will ask you! 7" under will be too much as Velocity's notch transom allows a much higher prop shaft. As an example, I "believe" that the Velocity 26' hull's prop shaft is set up approximately around 2.5" below the pad. Equally important - what kind of propeller are you using? You will need a lot of propeller blade area to plane off a 30' hull using only one propeller! The 700 HP single engine boat Padraig was referring used the NXT drive and Speed Master props so it would not be directly comparable.
Thank you for your reply! I'll contact the factory. The boat is more than 300 miles away, but I might be able to get the owner/seller to do the measuring for me.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 593 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab Viking
Thank you for your reply! I'll contact the factory. The boat is more than 300 miles away, but I might be able to get the owner/seller to do the measuring for me.
You should for sure copy a 28 velocity setup. Also a single engine pad bottom boat. Fountain singles would be similar too.
The following 2 users liked this post by hogie roll:
Padraig (01-22-2023), Scarab Viking (01-22-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Drive

Hi Lucas it's Eric I'm on here too
The following users liked this post:
Scarab Viking (02-10-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 593 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab Viking
Thanks! Let's hope he chimes in then!
Kenny Howieser lists multiple velocities for sale. He used to work there and loves talking, hit him up.
The following users liked this post:
Scarab Viking (02-10-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

My 280 has the prop shat 4" below the bottom and that seems to be about perfect. I can break the prop loose if I push it real hard up to about 40mph after that it bites hard. I'm running a labbed B1 30P prop. But I am running a pretty strong 524.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThisIsLivin:
SB (03-27-2023), Scarab Viking (02-10-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I own the single 700 322, my nose cone measures about 13/16" below the pad, running a NXT drive with a 17" Hering prop. Spoke with the owner of Velocity last summer, he was questing if that height was set correctly, they are currently building a VR1 with a single 700\M6 drive, i will be curious where they land with their drive height.
The following 3 users liked this post by formulavt:
hogie roll (02-14-2023), Padraig (02-15-2023), SB (04-24-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.