91 Regal Velocity 23 outdrive noise >

91 Regal Velocity 23 outdrive noise

Notices

91 Regal Velocity 23 outdrive noise

Old 07-12-2024, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 91 Regal Velocity 23 outdrive noise

Finally just took my new to me velocity 23 out for a test run. I heard/felt a clunking vibration coming from what felt like the outdrive. Only happened once up on plane and I started to trim up. As long as I kept the trim fairly low it would sound great. Just redid the bellows and seals and new gimbal bearing. Alignment seemed spot on and u-joints seemed to move freely. Greased everything with the proper grease while I had it apart. Anyone with insight into where I should direct my attention? Only other issue was the steering felt very heavy so I need to figure out what is going on with that.
Old 07-15-2024, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Well the "clunking" is concerning and sounds like it happens when the drive is under more (trim) load. I'd suggest taking a look at the gear oil and magnetic drain screw for metal particles. Also you may want to remove the drive's upper bearing cap to inspect for metal particles etc. as that's a common failure spot. It's good to catch things early before more damage occurs! Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
sonicss42 (07-15-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 09:35 AM
Registered

I drained the oil when I pulled the drive to do the gimbal bearing and bellows. Nothing shiny luckily. I'll still need to pull the bearing cap and check. Is it possible that it is the shift cable not being adjusted properly causing improper engagement? It feels and sounds similar to the "clunk" when you first put it in drive, just kinda rapid fire and at random intervals, but not as strong. Maybe the clutch cone jumping?
Old 07-17-2024, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

What outdrive?
Old 07-18-2024, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Puck81
I drained the oil when I pulled the drive to do the gimbal bearing and bellows. Nothing shiny luckily. I'll still need to pull the bearing cap and check. Is it possible that it is the shift cable not being adjusted properly causing improper engagement? It feels and sounds similar to the "clunk" when you first put it in drive, just kinda rapid fire and at random intervals, but not as strong. Maybe the clutch cone jumping?
Do a quick look at the bearing cap just to be sure - that's where my drive failed last fall. You may be on to something with regard to the drive shift cable. First I'm assuming you have a Bravo drive and that your control shifter to drive cable is correctly adjusted as they generally stay properly adjusted. Perhaps when you reinstalled the drive, the drive shift cable wasn't fully seated in the bracket that clamps down on the cable nipple. When you trim up that will stress the cable connection. Unfortunately you'll need to pull the drive again but it's worth checking out the cable/bracket connection. You don't want that connection completely disconnecting when you are on the water!
Old 07-19-2024, 10:18 AM
Registered

Yes, sorry. Original Bravo one with the 7.4L in it.
Hands have been in just about everything on this boat from what I have found so I don't trust anything being adjusted properly.
I found a crack in the plastic end of the shift cable so I'm going to just pull the drive and besides checking the cone clutch and bearings I plan to also just replace the whole shift cable as it looks a bit rough.
Old 07-19-2024, 10:28 AM
Registered

Question, I have someone near me with a bravo one for sale. Just the drive, nothing from bellhousing forward. Claims it was from a parts boat so he never ran it but "spins smoothly". Looks rough as it has both the lower fin and one of the horizontal "fins" with a part broken off. So it's definitely hit some stuff. I'm looking at it to have spare internal parts on hand for mine. Look to be identical to mine. What would be a reasonable price? He is asking $800.
Old 07-22-2024, 08:08 AM
Registered

That's a reasonable price if the internals (gear sets and shafts) are ok but that's hard to determine from the outside. You can check out the prop shaft straightness and if the drive shifts.