Info on 39's and 41's >

Info on 39's and 41's

Notices

Info on 39's and 41's

Old 03-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Info on 39's and 41's

your right, I was backwards in that thinking.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thks for the offer Mr Velocity, sounds like you have your 41 fairly dialed in.

Have to agree with Rippem regarding using one mold for different hull lengths. I would be concerned if I was looking at a 32! Do other companies do this?

I know its a different animal, but I almost never need tab input on my Formula (certainly not at WOT). Only time I use tabs are at low speed with uneven passenger loads or in bigger water at speed to keep the nose down. My '89 292 is 31 LOA, but stern heavy for its size due to twin Big Blocks.

Having to always drag tabs at higher speeds would indicate a handling flaw to me.

Mr Velocity: does the 41 need this much tab input

This site is ADDICTIVE
Old 03-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 292SR1
I would be concerned if I was looking at a 32!
Having to always drag tabs at higher speeds would indicate a handling flaw to me
This is what I was afraid of

The 32 being 'black listed'... no doubt others are reading this info and getting overly concerned about the boat and it's handling.

Is this the only size Velocity that requires positive tab???

The boat runs on a rather small running surface at full speed... is that a flaw? Well I guess if you want to look at it that way. Getting some extra speed out of less hull drag makes it a little unstable.
However, somebody, somewhere, must have had some faith in their consumers, that there was'nt going to be unnecessary accidents and injuries because of it.
It may be too agressive... I'll go along with that. But I don't think it was just 'plucked' from the mold without any consideration to it's bottom.

Is it dangerous???

Some people consider stepped-hulls dangerous... "unique" handling characteristics.
Other manufactures put "hooks" on the tail of their hulls so they handle perfectly at (highly under-powered) top speeds without tabs.

The Velocity 32' is a "drivers" boat... that would indicate it is not a "no brainer", you have to be alert and drive it, and adjust on it. It is not a flaw to me... it is challenging and fun.
There are plenty of other perfect handling hulls out there. I would be happy with a wave crushing non-stepped Top Gun. I wouldn't expect it to be challenging to drive at all... but I would expect it to be slow and under-powered... just know what you are buying.

Early in this discussion folks were talking about why they liked Velocity's... the concensus was you needed to "drive them", they were not like other brands.

Why would anybody be surprised you need to use tabs??
Old 03-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Registered

Sorry to get off topic again...

But what does the bottom of a VR-1 look like? And can they be driven at full speed without tab? They flat out fly whatever it is.

Props spinning in creates bow lift... which could add to the tab setting... hmmmm. I'll add that to my to-do list, and try turning them out this season sometime, just for giggles.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the VR1, but my T-Bred needs no tab input at speed unless it gets a little rough. Then just a little bit of tab helps...
Attached Thumbnails Info on 39's and 41's-tbred1.jpg  
Old 03-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Registered

Thks for the offer Mr Velocity, sounds like you have your 41 fairly dialed in.

Have to agree with Rippem regarding using one mold for different hull lengths. I would be concerned if I was looking at a 32! Do other companies do this?

I know its a different animal, but I almost never need tab input on my Formula (certainly not at WOT). Only time I use tabs are at low speed with uneven passenger loads or in bigger water at speed to keep the nose down. My '89 292 is 31 LOA, but stern heavy for its size due to twin Big Blocks.

Having to always drag tabs at higher speeds would indicate a handling flaw to me.

Mr Velocity: does the 41 need this much tab input

This site is ADDICTIVE
People should realize that although the 41 mold was the basis for the 32, Steve did a lot of work on the bottom, it is not even close to the running surface of the 41. You have to start someone where and most companies have streachted or shortened their best running boat.

I spent a fair amout of time dialing in the boat, although it didn't take much. I think the time you spend driving it is just as important. Steve was very helpful with this, the first summer I was on the phone with him quite a bit. His knowledge of the boat and it's handling characteristics are outstanding.

The only time a tab goes down is for strong cross winds. I am probably one of the most conservative on trim angle now, this comes from what I learned racing. In big water the tabs are parallel with the bottom of the boat and I run slightly positive trim though not much. The boat flies perfectly. Even in smaller chop I don't run that much trim, keep the boat on the pad and you won't see much of a speed difference although handling will be like night and day. The tabs are usually pulled all the way up. My tabs are also mounted horizontally, not flat with the bottom.

I have never been in a 39 and only a few times in the 32. I really shouldn't comment on the 32 since you can't compare it to the 41. I don't know any boat that I would compare to the 41, Steve really got it right with this boat. The 41 is the most predictable boat I have ever been in. It always flies predictably, hasn't hooked on re-entry and with a little positive trim it will out turn just about anything out there, except a cat. Hope I don't strart another diversion with that comment. Even now when I look at all the other V bottoms out there I can't find one that I would rather be in. Although if I didn't have the family I would be in a 36 Skater. Probably the best boat ever built, provided it is setup correctly.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Team V
Sorry to get off topic again...

But what does the bottom of a VR-1 look like? And can they be driven at full speed without tab? They flat out fly whatever it is.

Props spinning in creates bow lift... which could add to the tab setting... hmmmm. I'll add that to my to-do list, and try turning them out this season sometime, just for giggles.
When we get my uncle's boat in the water for the first run I'll make sure the props are turning out. I'll let you know how she handles.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

ran my 26' T-Bred damn close to 90 without any tabs even mounted on the boat. A good hull is sensative and responsive to drive trim.

I never said the 32' was dangerous. It's certianly not. Though it may feel that way to the uninitiated. It just has a personality all it's own...pure Velocity..though requiring the most skill and attention of all of them.

I loved my 32', thats why I kept it twice longer than any of the four boats before it!

That doesn't mean I was ignorant to it's "special needs" almost from day one. Like all Velocity's it holds tenaciously in turns. The only thing that would come around like the Velocity's, was my 22' Pachanga...that bottom would carve.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Registered

I've got a VR-1 that some of you may recognize.... the old F1-56 race boat. Although my hull has had extensive blueprinting so it may not been the same as a normal VR-1, it is a BLAST to drive flat out in poker run conditions. (see pics) It doesn't need tabs at all at full bore (low 80's) but you definently have to drive it. Like others have said, it is a drivers boat, and you never get bored perfecting your technique.

I haven't driven a 32, but from my limited time driving both the 36 and 41 they felt very similar (just bigger). I am not sure that I would enjoy a boat that was easy to drive as much as a Velocity.
Attached Thumbnails Info on 39's and 41's-fpbc_1.jpg   Info on 39's and 41's-fpbc_5.jpg  
Old 03-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Registered

The 280/26 and the VR-1 have basically the same running surface the VR-1 is a little wider in the front and has a molded in swim platform and a totally different deck. I have 280 K planes on my 280 and use them only windy conditions and when it is rough. But they are not needed at high speed and I have some pretty unstock power in mine.

PS CA boats looking good I will see you in Fort Myers
Attached Thumbnails Info on 39's and 41's-j04-05-04.jpg   Info on 39's and 41's-boat-north-harbor-1.jpg  

Last edited by VelocityMark; 03-09-2005 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Info on 39's and 41's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.