Info on 39's and 41's >

Info on 39's and 41's

Notices

Info on 39's and 41's

Old 03-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Info on 39's and 41's

I think it's great that the handling traits being discussed are seen as positives, and require some skill on the part of the driver which only adds to the overall experience of operating the boat. One problem I have with modern cars having traction control and anti-lock brakes is that it takes some of the skill away from driving. What happened to modulating effort on the pedals? I guess the manufacturers have to compensate for the general publics lack of ability.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Registered

No, no, nobody said it was dangerous, that was just a question I threw out there.
And I was also pointing out it's not the only somewhat controversial hull on the market.

Some more .02,
I think putting twins in these size boats creates challenges... not picking on Sonic, but my observation has been they seem to 'nose up' in the rough and not fly level, I've heard of 32 Fountians sinking at the beach from boat wakes because the transom (and those nice little round rearward facing vents?) are so low in the water... point being, I don't think there is enough bow weight to offset all the engine weight. Was the 32' Velocity designed more favorably for a big power single... maybe, but twins are more fun in my book. And if you look at the entire package.... cockpit room, freeboard, closets, storage, usable(!) enclosed head, thru-bolted everything no squeaks or rattles... along with speed potential and passenger comfort and safety... I think it is a real winner. And yes, I am going to defend and stick up for it!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Bruce Baker rigged a big single boat with a #3 or5. We often discussed here locally how well we thought the boat would work with a single. It's just that dependable power thing again. There was a blown single out in Washington at one time also. The yellow big single power 32' won? the English channel challenge or something like that as a back-up boat! I remember reading about it somewhere.

Yea there are a couple of other "big name" boats that have a worse safety record that's for sure!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rippem
I think Bruce Baker rigged a big single boat with a #3 or5. We often discussed here locally how well we thought the boat would work with a single. It's just that dependable power thing again. There was a blown single out in Washington at one time also. The yellow big single power 32' won? the English channel challenge or something like that as a back-up boat! I remember reading about it somewhere.

Yea there are a couple of other "big name" boats that have a worse safety record that's for sure!
The boat Bruce did was #1, the plug boat. The power in that boat was very very big.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Registered

Nice pics but you know Velocities like big water too
Attached Thumbnails Info on 39's and 41's-fly.jpg   Info on 39's and 41's-sail.jpg  
Old 03-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered

Velocitys do like big water. I was running some big water in a Poker Run and and would not let off the throttles regardless. Steve Stepp was running beside us and told me later that "you can let off when in big water". My reply was " not in a Velocity" . He just laughed. He knew that I would never let off regardless. I owned a near 100 mph 280 back several years ago and never let off regardless of conditions.
They can and will handle and put up big numbers in big water.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Registered

Great comments.

My intent was certainly not to criticize the models discussed as I have not run any of them, but rather to get some input from those that have.

Seems a common thread that if you get some seat time and learn the boats you will be rewarded.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Like Troutly says..."all boats are a compromise"

NONE of them are perfect. Each make/model has a personality and a certian pride of ownership. Velocity included.

I thoroughly enjoyed the two I owned during that time. Much like women, you tend to see a more rounded experience after thier gone.

I have offered both the good and bad as has been my experience, as have others.
It's been enjoyable, informative, and maybe the longest thread in the Velocity forum?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Registered

Since the old 30 foot hull will be the basis for the new 322, does anyone have experience with one of those? I'd really like to hear how they perform and handle. I think the most common power in the new boat will be twin 496 mags or HOs.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Registered

Glad we could clear the air on that, I've spoke my peace

Let me tell ya, the very last run last year... from Alex Bay to Henderson (lake Ontario)... in some pretty nasty waters... I could not believe my eyes. I had heard the VR-1 was fast, but holy crap! (Rippem, ask Dave P. about it) We're running on the verge of 70, into the wind coming around Cape Vincent where we're hitting the open lake and it is really starting to get nasty... waves like 4' brick walls we're smashing thru, I'm running with a Formula 312 on the port side and here is Mark L. in his VR-1 right along side of us on my starboard side We had long dusted off every other single engine boat on the run.
That was impressive! I did finally get by them... but I thought I was going to break the boat in half doing it!
I think that was a 496HO? VR-1.

There is also a 290SC with a 525EFI around that is fast!
If I ever had to go back to a single engine, that would be my first choice. Or..... maybe a 32 with big power???

Quick Reply: Info on 39's and 41's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.