Info on 39's and 41's >

Info on 39's and 41's

Notices

Info on 39's and 41's

Old 03-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Info on 39's and 41's

Here's the 12" windshield I cut down, up actually since I just wanted the top. The 6" didn't have the flip on the top like the 12 did, this keep just about all the wind off us.
Attached Thumbnails Info on 39's and 41's-windshield.jpg  
Old 03-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Registered

Just some running shots
Attached Thumbnails Info on 39's and 41's-backsm.jpg   Info on 39's and 41's-sidesm.jpg  
Old 03-16-2005, 10:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tiufb
Since the old 30 foot hull will be the basis for the new 322, does anyone have experience with one of those? I'd really like to hear how they perform and handle. I think the most common power in the new boat will be twin 496 mags or HOs.
I owned an '80 from '84 to '89. It was Jay Smith's old raceboat Putt Putt. When I bought it it had side-by-side 355" small blocks @ about 350 HP each. Replaced those with 450HP small blocks, then 550Hp 468's the Banks TT 496's. Out of all of them, I preferred the hi-powered small blocks. The original motors just didn't have the guts to keep the nose up and getting on plane was tough. With the bigger small blocks it popped right up. The boat had huge wolverine tabs on it- probably 2' long. It didn't take much tab adjustment to make alot happen. Those motors really made the boat sing. The first set of big blocks really changed the handling of the boat. It didn't turn nearly as crisply and just felt heavy. I wanted to see what 100mph looked like so I put the Banks motors in. What a nightmare that was. Sure, the boat flew- but only when it ran. From 25 to 85 MPH took about two seconds (at least that's what it seemed like!) and I can tell you I was way too "focused" to look at the speedo at top speed. The boat wasn't a handful or anything but it required some work to drive it. Eventually, the boat ended up with the big small blocks before it was sold.

Right before I sold it, I put the small blocks in it. My brother was in the Air Force at the time and stationed overseas. He was in town and we planned to go out for the afternoon. For some unknown reason, I neglected to check the weather report before we left--when we got to the lake (Erie) waves were coming over the breakwall. There wasn't any way we weren't going out so we dumped the boat in and took off. At the mouth of the river at the end of the no-wake zone, we were taking water over the bow... off-plane. I hammered it and turned West, across the wind. I'm guessing the waves were 8' or so. We would lose sight of the shore at the bottoms. We spent about a half-hour beating around until neither of us could take it anymore. At one point, we landed so hard I couldn't stay up and fell to the floor of the cockpit. On another, I thought I was going to stuff rear-first from the bow being so high. The boat would take anything and everything. I replaced the boat with a Cig 35 and was really disappointed. The Cig was slow, lazy and although it rode good, it didn't do anything the Velocity couldn't (other than carry 8 people and have a cabin). I replaced the Cig with an Apache 41. I only wish that I could have afforded the $$$$$ of running that beast but with two babies it wasn't practical.

I've been on some of these new step-hull boats and you can have 'em. I have a buddy with a new Fountain 38 and I'm always wondering what's going to happen first- bow stuff, roll over or break in half. The old 30 Velocity would shame that boat and with modern materials maybe trimming a 1000# or so, I couldn't imagine how it would perform.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Registered

Thanks, that's good stuff.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Info on 39's and 41's

Originally Posted by tiufb
Since the old 30 foot hull will be the basis for the new 322, does anyone have experience with one of those? I'd really like to hear how they perform and handle. I think the most common power in the new boat will be twin 496 mags or HOs.
I enjoy lurking in this thread now and then ! I see a lot of really talented Velocity drivers here ! I am the original owner of a 1986 30' with TRS drives ! ( I know its not a real Velocity) Im on my 6th or 7th set of big blocks and I think my 5th set of drives ! I would guess I have over 2500 Hrs. in the boat , 90 % of the time at WO. ",thats were she runs the best "! As for the performance of the 30, I can tell you I regularly out run longer supposedly faster boats in 4' + water on the bay year after year ! I think the new 322 will be a very popular and kick s$$ boat !! I cant wait to see one on the Bay so I can see what shes got !! I am curious if there are any other owners out there with as much time in one Velocity as I ! For that matter did Steve have that time in the 30 before selling to Regal ? Ron Umlandt OPA P4-33 STEELINTIME.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steet
Velocitys do like big water. I was running some big water in a Poker Run and and would not let off the throttles regardless. Steve Stepp was running beside us and told me later that "you can let off when in big water". My reply was " not in a Velocity" . He just laughed. He knew that I would never let off regardless. I owned a near 100 mph 280 back several years ago and never let off regardless of conditions.
They can and will handle and put up big numbers in big water.
280 Throughbred can definitley hang in big water...got a 80+mph one and loved it...selling before I even take it out again or else I know I'll keep it for another season...amazing boat for its size...have heard 100mph is a reality from several other owners...39' one day? absolutely
Old 04-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by steelintime
I enjoy lurking in this thread now and then ! I see a lot of really talented Velocity drivers here ! I am the original owner of a 1986 30' with TRS drives ! ( I know its not a real Velocity) Im on my 6th or 7th set of big blocks and I think my 5th set of drives ! I would guess I have over 2500 Hrs. in the boat , 90 % of the time at WO. ",thats were she runs the best "! As for the performance of the 30, I can tell you I regularly out run longer supposedly faster boats in 4' + water on the bay year after year ! I think the new 322 will be a very popular and kick s$$ boat !! I cant wait to see one on the Bay so I can see what shes got !! I am curious if there are any other owners out there with as much time in one Velocity as I ! For that matter did Steve have that time in the 30 before selling to Regal ? Ron Umlandt OPA P4-33 STEELINTIME.

Friend of mine ran a 30 called B-fast in the B class back in late 80s, anyone know about it...used to run over 100...boat is still in storage in michigan...has I believe #5s and t-700 power...3 man bolsters...would make a great poker run boat...run Lake St. Clair in a 280 and love it...as far as talent, you do have to throttle these boats but its worth every second of it when you get it right...especially racing 35s and winning in rough water...
Old 04-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I have old freeze frame tape of "B-Fast" racing.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rippem
I have old freeze frame tape of "B-Fast" racing.
Have watched that tape I believe...theres alot of radical action in the beginning credits...that boat is still owned by same guy and is being put together again right now...
Old 04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Registered

Realize this is a different subject, but has anyone seen a 4 bolster setup in a 39 or 41? Not trying to turn it into a station wagon, and I know the added weight is not good.......................but would avoid all the squabbles about who rides shotgun!

Looks like tons of room in the 39 cockpit, not sure about the 41.

Quick Reply: Info on 39's and 41's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.