Info on 39's and 41's >

Info on 39's and 41's

Notices

Info on 39's and 41's

Old 03-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Info on 39's and 41's

I have a 32 with a pair of Mercury blower motors,Rippem knows the boat really well,I have just installed Imco Extereme drives and hardware and we are getting ready to do some testing with Steve and hopefully Joel Ross to see what what we can do to tame the boat down at higher speeds,100 plus she is a handfull.I have spent alot of time on the phone with the factory and we are finding better handling but have not perfected it yet,the Imco drives with there extended length have helped considerably and different props have made huge strides in the wright direction but still there is room for improvement.If you can drive one of these boats at speed you will find all other boats a piece of cake to run this boat is like a over powerd 22 footer on steroids and a whole lot of fun to run,I have not seen a comporable boat of size and power keep up in flat or the rough.I will keep you up on the progress while hoping to fine tune it a little more,and if you want to see if you can drive a 32 foot missle and you see me at one of the runs we will go for a ride to see if you pass the test ,if nothing else we will have a wild ride and most of all put a hurtin on the Fountain and Baja and Cig guys.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Info on 39's and 41's

Mr Velocity:

Thanks for your input. Mark at Hutchinson's in Alex Bay NY has offered to let me take a look at his own 41 which I will do when the !#@#&*% weather warms up a bit. Will hunt for some pic's in the meantime.

Suprised this thread is still going! Nice to know there are others out there similarly obsessed.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes280
what about the 35 i have never seen one but did see one on here a few years ago that looks like it would be a good boat 35 long with the freeboard of the 41
It was a big 35'. Mark had a '95 built for him. I have many good pics, I'll have to scan 'em and post 'em. Problem is you can't just dam off a mold, build a boat in it and presume it's going to work right...most often they don't! Just because the 41' descendant of Steve's original big boat works well, is absolutely no guarantee that any other size boat that comes out of that mold will, and they haven't with all the CG to bottom, and pad size/location issues, trying to bring different boats out without some serious R&D.
At some point your better off just laying out a new mold/boat from scratch, using the scale factors/CG layout that you KNOW work instead of using the consumer as tester/guineapig of 1 mold stepchildren (pun intended...I think?).
Old 03-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Registered

i would like to see the pics what did the boat do or not do?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Registered

Hyper what props are you running? My uncle has been really happy with the B1s from Halls. Although he still needs to drag tabs, just need to find the setup that carries the bow with little trim. The extended length Imco, you mean they're deeper in the water? Anyone ever try Stellings Boxes on a 32, migh give you enough to carry the bow a little better.
Have you talked to Bruce over at Express? He setup a 32 with some monster power a few years ago, not sure if they ever got it handling exactly the way they wanted. I believe this boat also went to the OK. He also powered the 32 plug boat with a single monster motor.
Personally on my 41 I have seen the best results from a pair of Merc Lab B1s that I cust the diffuser ring off. At one point my shed had 8 sets of props in it, down to the 1 set now. It was beginning to look like the back of the race truck, although Bravo props are a lot cheaper than #6 props.

When I went to Steve to build my boat I had all intentions of buying a 35. He said for $10K more he could build the 41, it was a no brainer and the best move I have ever made when it comes to boats. I think the S-glass layup added $12K. I'd have to look at the original paperwork.

292 if you're ever in Jersey and want to take a ride in some big water give me a shout.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Info on 39's and 41's

I am running 15x30 Hydromotives,also trying some different Merc blades,I am also going to try spinning the props out to see if it will help the back of the boat to stick better,I do believe that the X diminsion that I am running is lower than most of the other 320s that are out there.I would like to try a set of five blades on it also to see what they will do for the all around performance of the hull,also I have the toe set I do belive at 3/16 to 1/8 in,I do believe that is where Steve said they should be.Spring is coming soon unless I can get it to Florida sooner.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I think we measured once and my X was a little higher than your boat 1HYPER1.

I still say "out" will be counter productive, slower, and screw up the pad's running angle to the water.

running more of an ass-in the water attitude at speed will take the CG further aft and cause an unnatural trim and ramping up effect of the pad off a wave instead of the "ski across". Don't launch off anything! I think you'll find the boat "flighty" in a different, and bad way.

Last edited by Rippem; 03-08-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Registered

The 360 is a "shortened" 410, and it's a great handling boat. I guess it's just a matter of finding the sweet spot. The difference in length between the 390 and 410 comes from cutting the hull down, and nothing to do with the deck. Both hulls come from the same mold, the 390 is cut at the feature line below the rub rail.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Registered

the 410 hull is cut about 7" and the 390 beck is about 8" shorter than 410 deck. for a total of 15" shorter than the 410 (15" is very close ) .
Old 03-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rippem
I think we measured once and my X was a little higher than your boat 1HYPER1.

I still say "out" will be counter productive, slower, and screw up the pad's running angle to the water.

running more of an ass-in the water attitude at speed will take the CG further aft and cause an unnatural trim and ramping up effect of the pad off a wave instead of the "ski across". Don't launch off anything! I think you'll find the boat "flighty" in a different, and bad way.
I think Pepper started spinning his props out on the 390 and actually like the way it handled. He lost 1 or 2 on the top but overall handling was greatly improved. He was also one of the first, if not the first, to run B1s on the boat. Steve was (is) a huge believer in Hydros. Spinning out will definitely lift the transom a little more and keep the bow down. Not sure why you feel it would move the CG back, if anything it will make the boat feel like the CG is farther forward.
Best thing to do is try.
On the 36 Skater I raced the boat ran the best spinning in until it got rough. Spinning out help keep the bow down in the rough but the boat definitly handled differently. But so many things were changing before a race like drive rotation, drive height, CG, props it was hard to keep track what was affecting the handling. The only way to know thougt is to test. We spent 3 solid weeks at Lake X testing can't say we ever finished.
Personally I like the way my 41 handles with the B1 better than the Hydros. I lost 1 mph on the top with the B1s but I picked up a lot on the midrange. Throttle response has also gotten a lot better.

Quick Reply: Info on 39's and 41's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.