Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Vendor Talk
Plane flying over Miami with “buyer beware performance boat center”? >

Plane flying over Miami with “buyer beware performance boat center”?

Notices

Plane flying over Miami with “buyer beware performance boat center”?

Old 02-17-2020, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
What I read on the website that stands out the most is the BUYER did not do ANY pre purchase inspections himself or have anybody inspect the boat for him and bought it sight unseen.

Possibly it was misrepresented. Possibly it was tested and inspected 10 months earlier. Either way, it is up to the buyer to inspect his purchase before handing over his money. Maybe the guy got screwed, but not doing his due diligence is what are allowed that to happen.

Money for a brokered boat never goes into escrow unless it is specified in the contract.
So if that’s the case, why buy a boat from a reputable shop versus craigslist?

Last edited by boatnt; 02-17-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:08 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
I have never bought a boat from any dealer or broker and I don't see a reason to unless you want/need to your trade your boat in or you can't find what you're looking for somewhere else.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

I have never bought a boat from any dealer or broker and I don't see a reason to unless you want/need to your trade your boat in or you can't find what you're looking for somewhere else.
missed my point
Old 02-17-2020, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 334 Likes on 131 Posts

Full disclosure, My wife used to work for PBC and as much pleasure as I receive in this situation, I want to address a couple of issues:

a) A brokered boat is basically listed through a dealership and unless someone pays for an inspection/Survey it will be presented to a buyer as disclosed by the seller. The dealership will not have any idea other than what they have been told!
b) In every brokered deal I have ever seen or heard of, PBC always suggested getting a Survey. UNLESS they paid PBC to do the full inspection etc.
c) It would be interesting to see how the transfer of ownership went, Owner to New owner or Owner to PBC to new owner? This too may give different understanding as to responsibility of disclosure.

Why would you buy from a dealership?

a) They have the product
b) They often have financing/insurance and paperwork help available to coordinate transfer of ownership
c) They have for the seller, a "market" a/k/a buyers that may not be available as well as not having to deal with buyers.
d) Other than that it is the same as any transaction, Buyer Beware, ALWAYS get a survey, and work out the best deal! No different than going to a seller direct.

Last edited by bajaholic; 02-17-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:00 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 873 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
a) A brokered boat is basically listed through a dealership and unless someone pays for an inspection/Survey it will be presented to a buyer as disclosed by the seller. The dealership will not have any idea other than what they have been told!
Then if they haven't verified what the seller told them was true or not then DON'T represent it as such. It's not hard, either they know or don't and should make no representations otherwise.

Now just looking at this in the distance maybe they state that the description is provided by the seller and they haven't verified the claims, I don't know and it's hard to make judgements in light of little information.

Last edited by Indy; 02-17-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 491 Posts

I think some people are forgetting this very important fact, based on the information provided.........

What I read on the website that stands out the most is the BUYER did not do ANY pre purchase inspections himself or have anybody inspect the boat for him and bought it sight unseen................."
My last 3 boats have been bought from the U.S. through dealers and exported to Thailand. I did not travel to the U.S. to inspect any of them. The first two transactions were ansolutely perfect in every respect.

The third purchase wasn't as good. The broker did not answer questions accurately, did not fulfill all his promises and claimed to have "known and boated this particular boat" which was not true. I had another company organize most of the paperwork and shipping.

With several items on the boat misrepresented and requiring attention, I could have cried to everyone in the world, opened websites, flown banners through the air etc, or I just say 'sh!t happens', then get on with life. I would never deal with that broker again but I always knew there was a chance things wouldn't be perfect because I didn't inspect the boat. Sounds like the the subject buyer is in a similar position so while never defending sloppy sales tactics, I'm also not too concerned about the buyer and his misfortune.

Aftermath of my own purchase, the boat was good but needed several minor things done before it was up to the level I expected.

If you don't see something with your own eyes, you take a chance relying on others.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 02-17-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 334 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Then if they haven't verified what the seller told them was true or not then DON'T represent it as such. It's not hard, either they know or don't and should make no representations otherwise.

Now just looking at this in the distance maybe they state that the description is provided by the seller and they haven't verified the claims, I don't know and it's hard to make judgements in light of little information.
I don't disagree with you, however.... We have only seen 1 side of this. And to be honest, anyone that is this "un-hinged" and/or vindictive about making a point, makes me skeptical about the whole situation.

If everything they really say is true, a legal filing would certainly be in order and for the money involved It can NOT be hard to file such actions.

I guess what I am saying, before you jump on the "little guy" train, It would certainly be interesting to hear the other side.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:59 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 873 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
I don't disagree with you, however.... We have only seen 1 side of this.
100%, we're discussing based on suppositions.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:44 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I carried NEW boat and used boat sales. The cosign boats either I bought out right or sold them as cosign. For one I did not want a POS on the lot nor someone to get stuck with a POS. I checked all boats out and even lake tested them before they went up for sale. I made all consign boats lake ready and did the survey / inspections in house - this was paid by the owner and or taken out of the final sale money period plus my 10 percent selling fee. .

If the boat owner did not agree to my policies - then the boat was never to be a consign or I tried to buy it out right for whatever reason ( parts ) and or take it to the dealer auction and let the car guys fight over it. Or have the owner get his boat off the lot if we could not both agree to my terms..

I know shops that never even open up the engine hatch to see if engines are install that are their consigns, also never lake test nor even put a scan tool on the cosigns.. IMO this is a lazy shop and is all about their wanting a sale no matter what it takes and of course all about money. . Bad way to do business in the marine industry, You sell stuff that makes people stay in boating not to have huge headaches and hardships. .

Last edited by BUP; 02-17-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:37 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 950 Posts

missed my point
I don't think I did. I'm saying that there is no reason to buy from a reputable shop vs craigslist.
In both cases, the buyer should treat the deal the same and use the same due diligence as far as inspections and surveys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.