Notices

Raw Water Pump

Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Raw Water Pump

I'm retrofitting a new pump onto a diesel generator. The factory pump is very small, block mounted, gear driven, and impossible for my arms to reach it to service it. It uses a 7/16" thick 1.5" diameter impeller and spins it pretty fast. If it picks up silt from some of the shallow anchorages I go thru, it is almost instantly a goner. I've had to bribe my friend, PlasticMan, the last few impeller jobs and we're all getting tired of this game.

SO, I'm looking for a normal sized belt-driven raw water pump to mount in an accessible location. A V6 or V8 sized pump will give me lots more volume and lots more reserve capacity and lifespan (since I will be turning it pretty slowly).

Any rebuildable raw pump that meets the above description qualifies for this application. If it comes with additional brackets or a pulley, that's a plus as well.

MC