Notices

Marine AC Unit

Old 02-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Marine AC Unit

Long shot....looking for an AC system, Mermaid, Crusiar, etc. Might consider a carry on if it was a smokin deal, but prefer an installed self contained unit.

Anyone have one they aren't using??
Old 02-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How big of a system are you looking for?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:45 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very diff requirements for all kinds of boats. The best way to know whats right is to refer to what was available as a factory option, if possible. Then get that EXACT unit. They are resonable. Unit, wiring kit and controls are less than $5,000
Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by STV_Keith
How big of a system are you looking for?
Originally Posted by DollaBill
Very diff requirements for all kinds of boats. The best way to know whats right is to refer to what was available as a factory option, if possible. Then get that EXACT unit. They are resonable. Unit, wiring kit and controls are less than $5,000
Thanks guys, I have been looking at 5200 - 6500 btu units, space is my biggest problem, and I am going to be installing it in the space where the porta-potty used to be. All the plumbing is in place, and it should be a good spot for air distribution, etc.

I don't need huge cooling capacity, i have a small cabin, and it is well insulated.

I found a brand new Mermaid 5200 on craigslist with all the installation pieces for $500. I missed it by 2 hours...

The mermaid and crusair units are about $2000 for the whole deal. That's just not in the budget this year, but If I could pick one up for less than a grand or so, I'd do it. Otherwise I will grab a hatchtop unit to get us through those few super hot weekends and do the installed unit next year.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

...somehow my replys are majorly screwed up in this forum....WTF
Old 02-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Registered

Attached Thumbnails Marine AC Unit-replyfail.jpg  
Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I might get blasted for this....

Last year I went and picked up one of those portable units for 100 bucks on craigslist. The kind people use for offices, or bedrooms, etc. They have a 4" vent hose, that you vent outside. Runs off 115VAC. I put it in my enclosed head, plugged it into the ac outlet while plugged into shorepower, and vented the exhaust out the cabin door. worked great! Kept the cabin nice and cool. I will probably find a neater way to vent it.

Problem is the one i bought was a bigger older model, and is pretty big and heavy. But, the concept worked. So this season i am buying one of these...Smaller and lighter.
http://soleusair.com/soleusair/pe2_09.html

It was a great alternative to drilling holes, running electric, adding pumps, and what not for a self contained unit. And those carry on units that mount on the deck hatch i dont care for. They work nice, but #1, they are a pain to manhandle and setup on the dash, and a buddy of mine woke up to a cabin full of water when it rained really hard overnight.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

Last year I went and picked up one of those portable units for 100 bucks on craigslist. The kind people use for offices, or bedrooms, etc. They have a 4" vent hose, that you vent outside. Runs off 115VAC. I put it in my enclosed head, plugged it into the ac outlet while plugged into shorepower, and vented the exhaust out the cabin door. worked great! Kept the cabin nice and cool. I will probably find a neater way to vent it.

Problem is the one i bought was a bigger older model, and is pretty big and heavy. But, the concept worked. So this season i am buying one of these...Smaller and lighter.

It was a great alternative to drilling holes, running electric, adding pumps, and what not for a self contained unit. And those carry on units that mount on the deck hatch i dont care for. They work nice, but #1, they are a pain to manhandle and setup on the dash, and a buddy of mine woke up to a cabin full of water when it rained really hard overnight.
This is actually a great idea, and right up my alley! I have looked at those before, but I figured if I could snag a full blown marine unit for $500 it would be a great. I'm not a huge fan of the hatchtop units, but if the price is right, it might be a nice way to get me through next season. I'm running out of boat project time this year anyway. Don't want to get caught with a boat in pieces when spring shows up!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

I bought one a few years ago and it works great
Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Mermaid Air 6500BTU unit with reverse heat and the deluxe installation kit sitting in my garage. Bought it back in '07 and never installed it in my boat. Ran me $2k. I'd let it go, but not for $500. PM me if you are interested.

You can see this unit here: http://www.mmair.com/marine_division/air_conditioning/6_500_btu_system

Last edited by STV_Keith; 02-16-2011 at 10:39 AM.