Notices

Need MEFI-3

Old 05-28-2019, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Colbalt use Volvo Penta 80 percent of the time. So which engine and model do you have ?? The Volvo TUNE will not be the same as the MERC tune in the ECM.
Its a Volvo penta 5.7 GXI-a. If I can find a cheap mefi 3 I’ll just have it flashed for my engine.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

flash alone is prob 500 bucks - BARE MIN

And man I guessed right VOLVO PENTA and without that info you were leading down the wrong path for sure.

Why I posted the question cause I knew the odds were a VOLVO.

in 2001 VOLVO used MEFI 4 so your engine must be a 2000 or back

Hull year MEANS ZERO.

And I will preach AGAIN -- this is why ENGINE SERIAL NUMBERS ARE SO IMPORTANT . -

Volvo set up and harness adaption is not the same as MERC so watch out the info you are getting on the forums. NO offense but it can be dart throwing.

Is a Volvo penta dealer out of the question to take your boat in for the diagnostics and the possible fix ?

Prob would say - I know I would be able to get a handle on this issue(s)

Last edited by BUP; 05-28-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Registered

All 5.7 GXI-A engines used MEFI 3. Year and make of the boat is moot as long as you know the model of the engine. My boat may be a 2000, I'm not sure. I found a guy in CA that works on them and flashes them for a fee. Diagnostic on it to see if it is bad or not is $80, repairing the MEFI 3 can run from $100-$500, flashing a replacement that I find is $300. The only work we have done to the boat has been a power steering pump and a fuel pump. Everything else is original other than spark plugs, oil, and filters.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:31 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

lets us know the final bill

INFO repairing MEFI s is 50 / 50 --- I know I perform ECM and PCM repair - Love to see someone repair one for 100 bucks. I have never seen that happened. Hell its 100 bucks to get the darn thing completely open properly for the repair. Just saying

Said the engine must me 2000 or back not the hull - Hull can be newer than the engine

Last edited by BUP; 05-28-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 861 Likes on 400 Posts

None of your buddys have a boat with a mefi3 you can try? If your convinced your ecu is the root of your issues you could stick any mefi3 off another running engine and it would at least fire IF it was the issue , id try to do THAT before I started spending money!
Old 05-28-2019, 02:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
None of your buddys have a boat with a mefi3 you can try? If your convinced your ecu is the root of your issues you could stick any mefi3 off another running engine and it would at least fire IF it was the issue , id try to do THAT before I started spending money!
I have one with an MEFI 3 but his isnt flashed for my engine so I'm a little reluctant to run it, also a little reluctant to use someone elses in the case that I have a fault voltage regulator from my alternator and fry his ECM.... I think it's probably best I just have a diagnostic ran on it by a pro and be out $80.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 196 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a MEFI 3 I would sell also, but not tuned for your engine. It is from an Innovation 600
Old 05-28-2019, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 476 Likes on 371 Posts

Don't run his good ECM on your motor, run your suspect MEFI on his motor. This way if there is something wrong with your motor, it won't damage his good ECM.

You said it won't start, so if your motors are close (both SBC) you could give it a go. Don't run it on the water, just see if it will start

As for a reflashing, if you can find someone with the same motor (or Bob at OBD) the BIN file can be downloaded from that one and uploaded to reflash it. I have the software (MEFI Burn) but never tried to do that on a bench, but would do it for free if I could figure it out. Shouldn't take to much to do it, ECM needs to be powered up, and connections to the data link need to be connected. Might be more to it, but sure is simple enough to down and up load on the boat.

Wonder if your BIN file can be downloaded even if it does have an issue.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:02 PM
Registered

I just dropped my ECM in the mail to Bob. He is going to test it for me and ship it back. I wouldn’t have a way to get the bin file of my unit ends up being dead but thanks for the offer! May wait and see what bob says about acquiring the bin for it.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 476 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmkilburn
I just dropped my ECM in the mail to Bob. He is going to test it for me and ship it back. I wouldn’t have a way to get the bin file of my unit ends up being dead but thanks for the offer! May wait and see what bob says about acquiring the bin for it.
Never know, after all these years he probably has the file
Hope it turns out good for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.